Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mixing Brake Pads: Which With Which?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 06:46 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts

Hello everyone,

So I've been looking to stock up on spares for my Hemingway's SRAM/Avid BB5-compatible mechanical disk brakes. I had already bought and swapped in a pair of genuine SRAM BB5 organic/resin pads after I managed to ruin the no-brand factory pads (as to how I did that... Well, it's embarrassing.)

So, I looked around for both SRAM (which - understandably - are in somewhat short supply globally) and other aftermarket replacements and came across the ones offered here. I've read multiple articles about the cool (pun) benefits of mixing up different types of pads in the same caliper, so now I'm wondering if I should mix resin with sintered, resin with ceramic, ceramic with sintered, or just stock up on semi-metallic and call it good.

I ride the bike on flat ground in dry, warm to hot climate most of the time. What would you recommend?
Old 07-29-21, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I'm not big on the idea of mixing two different pads on the same brake, but I'm all for trying out different pads that are compatible with your brakes. Keep track of your mileage and other pertinent data. Don't make comparisons about front wear and back brake wear other than they'll be different because each experiences different things.

In a dozen years. update this thread and let us know what you've found.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-29-21, 10:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I see no benefit to mixing pad types on the same caliper. What do you hope to accomplish? As to pad types, resin pads are quieter and easier on the rotors at the sacrifice of pad life and heat tolerance. Since you ride in a flat, dry area pad life should be no issue and heat buildup from long downhill braking will be a non-issue.
Likes For HillRider: