Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

so I'm going to buy two team jerseys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

so I'm going to buy two team jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 01:00 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I avoid the guys that can't hold a line. If I'm avoiding you because of a jersey, it probably means you should wash it. That said, I wouldn't wear a champions jersey, but thats just me. OP can do w/e he wants.
Old 05-30-10, 01:00 PM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
More like, it's ok to wear a Saints jersey, but would you wear a super bowl ring?
And it's ok to buy a saxo jersey but not the jersey of their best guy?

Meh
Old 05-30-10, 01:03 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
I avoid the guys that can't hold a line. If I'm avoiding you because of a jersey, it probably means you should wash it. That said, I wouldn't wear a champions jersey, but thats just me. OP can do w/e he wants.
If you care about what people think then don't get a team kit if you don't ride for them, if you don't care then wear what you want.

Originally Posted by Inertianinja
Heh is that because it is perceived as indicative of inexperience? Or because it's dorky?
I avoid the guys in the "old farty bastard cycling club" jerseys. Can't believe anyone actually buys those.
Mock if you want but the guys who wear the kits of the clubs they ride for tend to know what they're doing, people in the replica kits not so much. On most rides I've been on it's the guys in the replica kits that often make up the pack fodder.

Last edited by roadiejorge; 05-30-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-30-10, 01:04 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where can you get nice custom jerseys in small quantities?

α
Old 05-30-10, 01:06 PM
Inertianinja

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano
where can you get nice custom jerseys in small quantities?
I wish there was a dazzle/cafe press for jerseys. I have great ideas. They would be epic
Old 05-30-10, 01:24 PM
Nimitz87

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 R5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hurley.girl
I'd avoid wearing a "Champion" jersey if you didn't earn the right to wear it. I know they sell them to the public and all, but it's just not a good idea unless you want people to point and laugh. Well, maybe not point and laugh at you. Maybe just snicker behind your back.
I think cyclists are the dumbest freaking damn people when it comes to this...people wear superbowl jerseys doesn't mean they think they "earned" it.

wear what you want..frankly I want a Spartacus jersey as well.

I guarantee if they had the name of the rider on the back of jerseys people wouldn't ***** at all about this.

Chad
Old 05-30-10, 02:14 PM
Inertianinja

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I know what I'm getting into when I make a thread like this...but i'm not trolling. Honestly just making conversation.
I'm going to get them regardless of what others think, because we should not be estimating or judging others cycling ability based on their clothes or gear. Church.
Old 05-30-10, 02:35 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
My favorite jersey right now is a Barloworld team jersey.

I mainly like it because it is super comfortable and I love the full length zipper because, and this might be TMI I suppose, I wear bib shorts and when I get cyclers diarrhea it helps me to keep my britches clean.

I also feel kinship with the Barloworld rider who, in the TdF a few years ago, cooked a downhill turn and ended up watching his bike roll thousands of feet down the mountain. He was lucky he didn't go down with it. If it were yaughting he would have gone down with his bike and neither would have been seen again.
Old 05-30-10, 02:39 PM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that was tmi.

Back to the OP - you can do what you like but you've been warned.

Of course we shouldn't judge people based on what they're wearing, but it happens all the time. On and off the bike.
Old 05-30-10, 02:40 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buy the jersey if it makes you feel good. The only one who cares and will notice is you.
Old 05-30-10, 02:55 PM
Sommy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
THis is why cyclist can be odd sometimes. I agree with the argument that in any other sport it's acceptable to do, so why not cycling? I only have one replica jersey, but really don't wear it much. I think we as cyclist need to stop judging people on what they wear. I like the Columbia team kit, but don't want to shell out a few hundred bucks for it.

Obviousely wearing a champions jersey, doesn't imply that person earned it. If anything, in an around about way, you're sort of honoring what the person achieved.
Old 05-30-10, 02:58 PM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not odd. People judge others by what they're wearing all the time. You're fooling yourselves if you think this is exclusive to cyclists.
Old 05-30-10, 03:10 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd avoid wearing a "Champion" jersey if you didn't earn the right to wear it.

Gonna call BS on this one. I got a Saints jersey, but I didn't play for them, or any pro football team. So the fact that I can't buy a Astana or Radio Shack jersey because I didn't "earn the right" to wear it is total BS. If it's for sale, you "earn the right" by purchasing it. The team, race, or individual sold the rights to someone to make them so people would buy them. I seriously doubt that if you wear Cancellerra's jersey people are going to confuse you with him.

Get whatever jersey you want and wear the heck out of it. No one (who really matters) will care.
Old 05-30-10, 03:10 PM
Nimitz87

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 R5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not odd. People judge others by what they're wearing all the time. You're fooling yourselves if you think this is exclusive to cyclists.
yes however I don't think most people go "OMG that bastard is wearing a saints jersey what a noob how dare he, he never EARNED that!!" like they do in cycling if I were to wear the Cancellera champ jersey.

Chad
Old 05-30-10, 03:14 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimitz87
yes however I don't think most people go "OMG that bastard is wearing a saints jersey what a noob how dare he, he never EARNED that!!" like they do in cycling if I were to wear the Cancellera champ jersey.

Chad

+1
Old 05-30-10, 03:18 PM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimitz87

Chad
They don't do it to anyone's face. Just like in other stuff. If you're wearing a plaid shirt with striped pants and a polka-dot tie, no one's going to say anything to you directly. Well, your true friends might. This really isn't different.
Old 05-30-10, 03:19 PM
jetbike
Playing with the traffic

Bikes: 2009 Colnago Primavera, Campy Chorus 11 speed, 1986 Colnago Master, C-Record, 2008 Surly LHT, 1930's Malvern Star 3-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't wear the world champ's jersey, but having said that I have found my icon lingering on the Rapha British Champ jersey 'buy it' button.

https://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/k&t.jpg
Old 05-30-10, 03:22 PM
jetbike
Playing with the traffic

Bikes: 2009 Colnago Primavera, Campy Chorus 11 speed, 1986 Colnago Master, C-Record, 2008 Surly LHT, 1930's Malvern Star 3-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't wear the world champ's jersey, but having said that I have found my icon lingering on the Rapha British Champ jersey 'buy it' button.

https://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/k&t.jpg
Old 05-30-10, 03:23 PM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not saying I'm the one who will be snickering behind your back. Wear what you want. If it motivates you, wear it!

But be aware that there are some that will judge you. I personally won't wear a champion jersey, or a professional team kit. But that's me. I don't think less of anyone who chooses otherwise.
Old 05-30-10, 03:31 PM
DRietz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not saying I'm the one who will be snickering behind your back. Wear what you want. If it motivates you, wear it!

But be aware that there are some that will judge you. I personally won't wear a champion jersey, or a professional team kit. But that's me. I don't think less of anyone who chooses otherwise.
Uh...be aware? We're judged constantly by everybody who sees us. Not even just because we ride around in bright, flamboyant spandex, but because we're alive. We will always be judged by anyone.

And with that, to the OP, buy what you want. I think it's cool that you admire riders, I have some favorites too.
Old 05-30-10, 03:51 PM
Mekrob

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo, Cervelo P2SL, Cervelo Soloist Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear whatever the hell you want.. just not in a race. If you are in an organized race, you had better rate whatever jersey you zip up.

Anyone have any thoughts on if this rule applies to equipment? I love Dave Z's Captain America rear disc graphic.
Old 05-30-10, 03:54 PM
Inertianinja

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Man, I don't think I care what anyone says about me so long as they're behind me.

Originally Posted by Mekrob
Wear whatever the hell you want.. just not in a race. If you are in an organized race, you had better rate whatever jersey you zip up.

Anyone have any thoughts on if this rule applies to equipment? I love Dave Z's Captain America rear disc graphic.
Yes, this is one situation in which i would not wear team kit. In fact I wouldn't ever wear team kit if there was even the slightest possibility that someone could think that I want them to think that I'm the real deal. I'm just a dude who thinks cancellarras pretty impressive.
Old 05-30-10, 04:09 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Inertianinja
Yes, this is one situation in which i would not wear team kit. In fact I wouldn't ever wear team kit if there was even the slightest possibility that someone could think that I want them to think that I'm the real deal. I'm just a dude who thinks cancellarras pretty impressive.
Any decent official wouldn't let you start with the rainbow. And if they're following the rules, they wouldn't let you start with the Saxo Bank jersey, either.
Old 05-30-10, 04:12 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
The people who buy the football and baseball (and hockey and basketball) jerseys are buying them as fans, and if they go to the stadium to watch the team play they will probably wear the jersey. No problem with mistaken identity/poser issues if you are sitting in the stands and the team is on the field.

Most people buy cycling jerseys to wear when they are riding. It's a different situation. That's why the fat guy in the lampre jersey standing by the side of the road on the ventoux in July is perfectly justified in wearing that jersey.
Old 05-30-10, 04:59 PM
alexvpaq

Bikes: A trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They sell some pink Giro d'italia jersey at my LBS, it made me laugh and I hesitated. Then I remembered that I mustn't go all fanboy over procycling stuff or I'll look dumb especially with a pink jersey. Though, buy these jerseys if you like them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.