Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a decent tail light

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-22, 10:54 AM
DB77

Bikes: Ribble Endurance 725, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality taillight? I'm looking for something well made that is both very bright and lasts long on a single charge as well as being fairly easy to mount.

-Thanks
Old 07-15-22, 11:07 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by DB77
Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality taillight? I'm looking for something well made that is both very bright and lasts long on a single charge as well as being fairly easy to mount.

-Thanks
The Cygolite Metro series of USB-charged taillights are my go-to choice. I've been using them for I don't remember how long.

I recently picked up the Hypershot 350, their brightest taillight, for daytime riding. With the recent spate of "hit from behind" motorist killings, I want to be sure distracted motorists see me.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-15-22, 11:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Cygolite or Garmin tail-light+radar
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-15-22, 11:14 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm using the Cygolite Dice TL 50 as a backup to my dyno-powered taillight. One of many that ticks all the boxes in the OP.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-22, 11:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Another vote for Cygolite. I have the 150 lumen model with is almost too bright.
Old 07-15-22, 03:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I have a Cygolite Hotrod 90 and I like it. (The latest version is Hotrod 120.) I also have a Cygolite Hotshot 100. The Hotrod is a vertical lightbar design, and despite having lower lumens than the Hotshot, is more visible.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-15-22, 08:30 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
I know you are asking about lights but you may also want to consider a Proviz 360 jacket or vest or something similar. Improves my night time confidence along with my light.
Old 07-15-22, 09:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
HS 350 & an on-board battery bank if you ride 3+ hours.
Old 07-16-22, 07:53 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
I use a NiteRider Solas on 3 of my 4 bikes* and I have yet to find a flaw or weakness that would make me want to get a different taillight if I ever needed to buy another. Bright, excellent side visibility, multiple patterns including a "paceline mode" for nighttime group rides, recharges quickly and a charge lasts longer than most rides I would ever consider undertaking, plenty of mounting options, and they seemingly last forever. Highly recommended.

* The 4th of my 4 bikes still has a Planet Bike Superflash USB, which if I ever lose -- it kinda amazes me that hasn't happened yet, because Superflashes are notorious for falling off my bikes -- or if it ever dies, I will replace with another Niterider Solas.
Old 07-17-22, 11:29 AM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Dinottte Quad red
Likes For la rosa:
Old 07-17-22, 01:44 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I use a knockoff Lezyne tail light and it's bright enough to be used as a daytime light.
Old 07-18-22, 08:36 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Another vote for Cygolite.

I like the hotrods - they strap on to my seat stays. Bright lights and the charge lasts a long time. I use them for daylight blinkies and for night time. If riding at night in areas that might not be very well lit, I put one on either side.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-19-22, 01:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Way beyond merely decent, my favorite taillamp is the Specialized Stix Elite. I have no idea what constitutes “very bright and long lasting” for the OP, but as someone who has been using bicycle lighting since the 1980s, the Stix Elite meets my standards for both, and is additionally cleverly designed, extremely versatile, and good looking.

Ijn particular, I like the flash mode options (especially the pulse) and really appreciate the cordless USB charging. Specialized also offer a variety of mounts, so I have optional rack and fclip mounts which allow me to optimally deploy the light as my different types of riding demand.

I’ve been on Stix since they launched, so many years, and have moved through the improved model iterations from the original, to Comp, to Elite, and up to the latest Switch (which has selectable color for both front and rear use; clutch for the kids’ bikes) and have never had one fail or break, so quality is high. In comparison, although I’ve been using Knog lights of all types for even longer than Stix and continue to use them, man, I’ve had at least one of each of the probably 8 models I’ve had— from the original Frogs up to Blinder Road and Cobber— fail in some way, so Knog quality is neither great nor reliable, but their styling is pretty ace. The Knog Lil Cobber is runner-up to Stix Elite for favorite taillight.

As aside, the Stix Elite headlamp is my favorite daytime marker lamp, too, since I can mount it on my spacer stack below the stem…super sleek, uncluttered look. On one of my older bikes, I run an older Stix Comp simply Velcro’d to the head tube!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-20-22, 08:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by DB77

-Thanks
Any 50$ light should do the job. If you want to have something more fancy, you can buy one of these saddles with a mounting system underneath & a compatible light. This is what I have on both of my bikes. It lasts 24+ hour on the blinking mode and it's bright.

Old 07-21-22, 11:58 AM
scutchin

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Another vote for Cygolite.

I like the hotrods - they strap on to my seat stays. Bright lights and the charge lasts a long time. I use them for daylight blinkies and for night time. If riding at night in areas that might not be very well lit, I put one on either side.
I have been trying to find good LED rear lights that strap onto the seat stays to complement my Garmin radar rear light, but LED's tend to be so directional that they are virtually useless unless they are pointing directly to the rear.

Are these Cygolite Hotrods able to be seen when angled forward 45-ish degrees, maybe they have a diffuser?
Old 07-21-22, 12:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by scutchin
I have been trying to find good LED rear lights that strap onto the seat stays to complement my Garmin radar rear light, but LED's tend to be so directional that they are virtually useless unless they are pointing directly to the rear.

Are these Cygolite Hotrods able to be seen when angled forward 45-ish degrees, maybe they have a diffuser?
Proper taillights for seat stay mounting are angled so they don't have that problem.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-21-22, 12:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The Cygolite Hotrod does have a plastic lens over its vertical LED array which increases its off-axis visibility from the side. I held mine at arm's length tilted at 45 degrees and the brightness is noticeably diminished; I don't think it is designed to be mounted at an angle much less than the > 70ish degree for most seat posts. I also wouldn't mount anything to a seat stay with just a rubber band mount; doing so risks getting it knocked into the spokes with severe consequences.
Old 07-22-22, 12:03 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts

Hotrods are quite popular with riders in my club, particularly as seatstay lights, and yeah, they look to perform fine to my eye.

My coach runs one on his seatpost, and here again, it looks fine and bright to me.

They also seem reliable; over the years, I can’t recall any failures over MI’s notoriously bad roads. I suppose, though, that strap mounts in general are quite effective, as I can’t recall any brand light failures of the mount in many, many years. I did have, myself, some Knog strap failures about 10 years ago, Nothing catastrophic like popping off during use, bit they did start to tear. I stuck with the brand though, and they resolved the issue some time ago, as I have some Knogs which are fairly old.
Old 07-22-22, 07:46 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts

I don't have any problem with visibility with these lights on my seat stays - they are quite visible from a distance and at an angle.

I don't follow what you mean about 45°. Unless your bike has an unusual design, seat stays are not oriented any where near 45 ° from vertical. Maybe 20 °
Old 07-22-22, 07:53 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I like my Knog Blinder Road R70. Expensive, but super bright and good selection of flashing and stationary modes. It also looks kind of stealth on a black seatpost.
Old 07-22-22, 08:02 AM
scutchin

I don't have any problem with visibility with these lights on my seat stays - they are quite visible from a distance and at an angle.

I don't follow what you mean about 45°. Unless your bike has an unusual design, seat stays are not oriented any where near 45 ° from vertical. Maybe 20 °
I just did an embarassingly crude check, and my Roubaix is about 43 degrees from vertical.

Old 07-22-22, 10:08 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by la rosa
Dinottte Quad red
While admittedly heavier than some, the Quad Red is a workhorse. I love the ease of removal from its mount for charging. Been using them for many years. Also like the multitude of mounting positions available with the provided hardware.
Old 07-22-22, 12:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

1. If a bike frame has a horizontal top tube and seat stays which intersect with the top tube, then the seat stay angle is steeper, maybe around 70° (from horizontal), which comparable to the angle of the seat tube and seat post, where the HotRod is designed to be mounted.

2. But if a bike has both a slanted top tube and dropped seat stays, then the seat stay angle is much shallower, maybe around 50° (from horizontal). A HotRod mounted at this angle is noticeably less visible.

An example of #1 is my vintage CAAD, and an example of #2 is the Roubaix posted by scutchin above.
Old 07-23-22, 10:49 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Hotrods are quite popular with riders in my club, particularly as seatstay lights, and yeah, they look to perform fine to my eye.

My coach runs one on his seatpost, and here again, it looks fine and bright to me.

They also seem reliable; over the years, I can’t recall any failures over MI’s notoriously bad roads. I suppose, though, that strap mounts in general are quite effective, as I can’t recall any brand light failures of the mount in many, many years. I did have, myself, some Knog strap failures about 10 years ago, Nothing catastrophic like popping off during use, bit they did start to tear. I stuck with the brand though, and they resolved the issue some time ago, as I have some Knogs which are fairly old.
I picked up a couple of hotrods recently because the batteries in my cateye lights were becoming iffy. They aren't directional (no lens on the LEDs so throw light in all directions) so work well on seatstays (and helmets).

I do wish someone would make something in this form factor that would sent the light out at whatever the average seat stay angle is. It would be a lot more efficient.
Old 07-26-22, 11:13 AM
scutchin

Many thanks to those who suggested the Cygolite Hotrod. I bought the 50 and it is perfect for seat stay mounting!

Here are some pictures to compare against a Planet Bike Superflash. Not to trash the Superflash, it's great when mounted pointing directly to the rear, but it is so directional that it is pretty much worthless on a seat stay. Since I have a Varia 510 on the seatpost, that's not an option.

Superflash pointing to the rear.

Hotrod 50 to the rear.

Both at a 45 degree angle, the Superflash is the bright spot pointing to the sky.

Awesome light from all angles, cars will have no trouble seeing this!
Likes For scutchin:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.