Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Long road to recovery.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Long road to recovery.

Old 07-31-22, 04:09 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts
Long road to recovery.

After about a 10 year lay-off Chris my old riding partner called me because he wanted to get back into riding again. Back in the day Chris was an animal on the bike and just loved a good Hammerfest. We started off with some trail rides in June and July of last year, and Chris was hooked on the woods instead of the road. Then August 1st of last year I get a call from Chriss wife saying he's been hit while out on his motorcycle. Besides having internal injuries, ripped up skin everywhere, his left leg was broken in 4 places and right leg in 2 places. He had knee and foot issues to just add to the recovery. The first day after all the major surgeries Chris is already doing minor stretches in his bed. Fast forward and Chris is way ahead of what doctors expected and he's now starting to ride. He's using a mtb bike because of the easy gearing and I gave him some flat peddles because his knees can't handle being locked in yet. Chris upped his game today as I kept asking if he wanted to turn back but he wanted to roll on. Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow and how he feels. Knowing Chris, he'll be ready to roll out again real soon.
Old 07-31-22, 04:18 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Good on him! Best wishes for his recovery!
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-01-22, 05:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Great news!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-01-22, 09:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Wonderful that he is getting back to riding. Now be a really good friend and tell him to sell all his motorcycles. Every motorcyclist I have known, except one, has had a motorcycle/car accident. One ended in permanent paralysis. My dad was an ER doc and saw so many horrendous motorcycle accidents he wouldn’t even let me entertain the idea of owning one. The capper was taking me to the morgue and doing an autopsy on a motorcyclist wearing a helmet that hit a phone pole. Watching his brains drain out of his skull like red tapioca was more than enough.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-02-22, 06:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My dad was an ER doc and saw so many horrendous motorcycle accidents he wouldn’t even let me entertain the idea of owning one. The capper was taking me to the morgue and doing an autopsy on a motorcyclist wearing a helmet that hit a phone pole. Watching his brains drain out of his skull like red tapioca was more than enough.
I haven't seen anything that dramatic, but I have worked as an RN in inpatient rehab, where we routinely got traumatic brain injury patients from motorcycle and snowmobile accidents. That was enough to convince me to wear a helmet while cycling and avoid motorcycles and snowmobiles.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-02-22, 07:52 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Fantastic, broken like a pretzel, that is enough to make many a man say never again, and he is back on a bicycle. That's a tough guy.
I tip my hat.
I too had a motorcycle accident in the mid 80's, I told myself I would never ride a motorcycle again until my children were grown, they are grown now so I bought a bicycle.
My mangled Honda Gold Wing will just have to be a memory, one I would like to forget.
Likes For Ttom:
Old 08-02-22, 08:07 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Wonderful that he is getting back to riding. Now be a really good friend and tell him to sell all his motorcycles. Every motorcyclist I have known, except one, has had a motorcycle/car accident. One ended in permanent paralysis. My dad was an ER doc and saw so many horrendous motorcycle accidents he wouldn’t even let me entertain the idea of owning one. The capper was taking me to the morgue and doing an autopsy on a motorcyclist wearing a helmet that hit a phone pole. Watching his brains drain out of his skull like red tapioca was more than enough.
He sold both his motorcycles shortly after being released from the hospital.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-02-22, 08:10 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by Ttom
Fantastic, broken like a pretzel, that is enough to make many a man say never again, and he is back on a bicycle. That's a tough guy.
I tip my hat.
I too had a motorcycle accident in the mid 80's, I told myself I would never ride a motorcycle again until my children were grown, they are grown now so I bought a bicycle.
My mangled Honda Gold Wing will just have to be a memory, one I would like to forget.
Chris was the toughest riding partner back in our racing days and I knew he'd be back on a bike way quicker than expected. The motorcycles are sold, and he just ordered a new road bike so it will be fun to help him along as he recovers.

Last edited by ZIPP2001; 08-03-22 at 06:20 PM.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-02-22, 08:27 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
He sold both his motorcycles shortly after being released from the hospital.
so the accident upped his IQ? Hope heals well.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 08-03-22, 07:27 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
He'll get better and better. Probably still have residual pain, I do. Age does not help the recovery. I fractured the trochanter at the hip, 5 ribs, clavicle, scapula, humerus, and elbow. The humerus was sticking out a little, the clavicle was a mess but the elbow was the worst. 10 bones plus they had to cut my ulnar bone in two to access the elbow for the repair (3 plates, 25 screws, rod, and some cadaver bone). Putting it behind you mentally is hard but just getting out there and doing it wears the bad memory off. We don't go as fast on a bike as a motorcycle but can also get hurt bad. I "recovered" 3-4 times faster than the Docs said, your buddy will do "well" too. GL to him.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-03-22, 08:32 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I had a crash last February, and am still recovering. My injuries weren't as bad as his, but I understand how frustrating recovery can be. Good on him for continuing to pound the pedals!

Ride on!
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 08-03-22, 08:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Yup. Motorcycles are bad. No air bags, not enclosed on 4 sides and running around at 60-80 mph speeds surrounded by 6000 lb+ vehicles.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-04-22, 08:13 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I hope he heals well, and as quickly as possible.
To me, a motorcycle is a bike that goes really fast! No thank you.
Best regards
Likes For flan48:
Old 08-05-22, 11:49 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Interesting comments about motorcycles. I tend to agree and have never ridden one or had the desire to do so, but I also note that some of the faster eBikes today blur the line between bicycles and motorcycles. As a 70+er, I still prefer to provide my own power, thank you!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 08-05-22, 12:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
nice to see, good for your friend!

a colleague of mine, was rear ended on his motorcycle, sitting at a traffic light, 1 or 2 years ago. messed him up in similar broken ways. was nice to chat with him recently & talk about him riding his bicycle again, got married, bought a house & sold the motorcycle. sometimes there's one last straw ...
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-05-22, 05:32 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Interesting comments about motorcycles. I tend to agree and have never ridden one or had the desire to do so, but I also note that some of the faster eBikes today blur the line between bicycles and motorcycles. As a 70+er, I still prefer to provide my own power, thank you!
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that had a hip replacement recently, his doctor told him no jogging, or long walks for awhile, low impact exercises only, but a bicycle would be OK, so what did he do, bought an ebike. He said the bike will hit 45mph, I am not sure that is what his doctor had in mind where is the exercise in riding an electric moped?
Likes For Ttom:
Old 08-06-22, 06:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that had a hip replacement recently, his doctor told him no jogging, or long walks for awhile, low impact exercises only, but a bicycle would be OK, so what did he do, bought an ebike. He said the bike will hit 45mph, I am not sure that is what his doctor had in mind where is the exercise in riding an electric moped?
yikes, even my 92 yr old Mom has him beat. with her new hip, from a cpl years ago, she's driving, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry up & down 2 flights of stairs. doesn't like it when I try to help, but if I'm there, I do anyway

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-06-22 at 09:03 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-06-22, 05:49 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
.........................Then August 1st of last year I get a call from Chriss wife saying he's been hit while out on his motorcycle.............................Knowing Chris, he'll be ready to roll out again real soon......................................
.........................I too had a motorcycle accident in the mid 80's, I told myself I would never ride a motorcycle again until my children were grown, they are grown now so I bought a bicycle...........................
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I had a crash last February, and am still recovering. My injuries weren't as bad as his, but I understand how frustrating recovery can be. Good on him for continuing to pound the pedals!

Ride on!
Good reading that those involved in Hit and Drive and Crashes are getting back to getting back to normal.

I had a Hit and Run Encounter for a 2nd time in 2 years 3 months a couple of weeks ago. This time got *T-boned* by a WILD HOG at 3AM in my left leg resulting in a face-plant slide. Recovering from the road rash and a fractured left tibia. In 2020 it was a sideswipe by a WILD HOG at 1:25AM resulting in 2 cracked ribs a punctured lung a cracked scapula some left shoulder trauma plus a little bruising thanks to a soft landing on dirt. Just too much for this 72yo geezer to have happen in another 2 years.
Old 08-06-22, 08:17 PM
GFS

Bikes: Schwinn Moab 2, Schwinn 354

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My father gave me a nearly new 1996 Honda Magna V4. It was gorgeous. Red color, nice condition. A real sweet looking motorcycle. It had sat for over 2 years at Dad's place and was not running well. I subscribed to an Motorcycle email reflector to get help in getting it back to running. After getting my technical help, I just stayed with that group for about 2 years. It was not a large group, like 1000 people. Every 6 months, like clockwork, someone on that board would get nailed by a vehicle. And the injuries were not minor. In one case, the rider was a concert musician who lost 1/2 of one leg. I thankfully did not ride the bike that much, maybe 10 times total in 2 years. I gave the thing back to my father because I was smart enough to know that the statistics were not in my favor. You don't have fender benders on Motorcycles. Girlfriend (later wife) gave me a very strong hug after I told her I was going to return it and thanked me.

Last edited by GFS; 08-06-22 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 08:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by GFS
My father gave me a nearly new 1996 Honda Magna V4. It was gorgeous. Red color, nice condition. A real sweet looking motorcycle. It had sat for over 2 years at Dad's place and was not running well. I subscribed to an Motorcycle email reflector to get help in getting it back to running. After getting my technical help, I just stayed with that group for about 2 years. It was not a large group, like 1000 people. Every 6 months, like clockwork, someone on that board would get nailed by a vehicle. And the injuries were not minor. In one case, the rider was a concert musician who lost 1/2 of one leg. I thankfully did not ride the bike that much, maybe 10 times total in 2 years. I gave the thing back to my father because I was smart enough to know that the statistics were not in my favor. You don't have fender benders on Motorcycles. Girlfriend (late wife) gave me a very strong hug after I told her I was going to return it and thanked me.
A very smart move plus you learned some excellent mechanical skills along the way. I find speed addictive but then I like downhill skiing (used to race), driving my car on the track and fast downhills on my bike. A good friend tried really hard to get me into sport bikes and I knew that I would enjoy it way too much and probably kill myself. I have also put track days with the car behind me for multiple reasons. You were very wise to realize that motorcycle riding is percentage game where the odds are not in your favor.

A tenet of mine got a sport bike and within 6 months broadsided a car that “did not see him” and pulled out in front of him which crushed his right arm and impacted the nerves so severely that he has no feeling and it is totally useless. He was 28 at the time. Poor guy.

Old 08-06-22, 09:28 PM
GFS

Bikes: Schwinn Moab 2, Schwinn 354

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A very smart move plus you learned some excellent mechanical skills along the way. I find speed addictive but then I like downhill skiing (used to race), driving my car on the track and fast downhills on my bike. A good friend tried really hard to get me into sport bikes and I knew that I would enjoy it way too much and probably kill myself. I have also put track days with the car behind me for multiple reasons. You were very wise to realize that motorcycle riding is percentage game where the odds are not in your favor.

A tenet of mine got a sport bike and within 6 months broadsided a car that “did not see him” and pulled out in front of him which crushed his right arm and impacted the nerves so severely that he has no feeling and it is totally useless. He was 28 at the time. Poor guy.
Thank You for the kind words. I think one of my Father's greatest disappointments with me was that I did not get the Gearhead Gene. Everyone else in the family had it but I did not. I have always been more interested on what made things tick in a vehicle rather than going as fast as possible in a vehicle. Now my father did take me stock car racing (just Pure Stock at a local dirt track) and I had a bunch of fun with it but my talents lay in Engineering design. I'm a R&D Mechanical Engineer in my day job. And yeah, there are so many stories of people who just don't understand the percentages or how powerful these modern day Motorcycles are. I had a friend who knew of someone who died in one day after purchasing one of the "crotch rockets". The guy had never driven a very powerful motorcycle. He got on it and did not hold tightly to the bike. When he took off, the acceleration pulled him back and as his body shifted backwards he unconsciously rolled his throttle hand back, accelerating the motorcycle. He hit a solid brick wall going some ungodly speed and died instantly. Gordon
Old 08-06-22, 11:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by GFS
Thank You for the kind words. I think one of my Father's greatest disappointments with me was that I did not get the Gearhead Gene. Everyone else in the family had it but I did not. I have always been more interested on what made things tick in a vehicle rather than going as fast as possible in a vehicle. Now my father did take me stock car racing (just Pure Stock at a local dirt track) and I had a bunch of fun with it but my talents lay in Engineering design. I'm a R&D Mechanical Engineer in my day job. And yeah, there are so many stories of people who just don't understand the percentages or how powerful these modern day Motorcycles are. I had a friend who knew of someone who died in one day after purchasing one of the "crotch rockets". The guy had never driven a very powerful motorcycle. He got on it and did not hold tightly to the bike. When he took off, the acceleration pulled him back and as his body shifted backwards he unconsciously rolled his throttle hand back, accelerating the motorcycle. He hit a solid brick wall going some ungodly speed and died instantly. Gordon
Dealing with the disappointment of a parent is never easy and tends to follow one unless you have an unusually strong character. Going into R&D ME is one, actually several, better in my book. Not only do you understand the mechanisms but the underling principals behind them. They should be proud of your accomplishments - of course growing into a decent human being is accomplishment enough.