Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Speed Pro Advice

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Speed Pro Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 04:52 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by MTZER
Regarding the SRAM Dual Drive, I have tuned the click-box already and the bike seems to be shifting correctly on the repair stand.
I noticed that at gear 1 (Downhill) the sound is pretty fine but when I shift to gear 2 (Flat) or 3 (Uphill) there is a noticeable but constant "clicker" sound.

Is this a normal internal hub characteristic or should I be worried?
Each internal-gear hub I've used - I've used a lot of them - made some clicking noises in certain gears, and they all were slightly different from each other. Yours is probably fine.
Old 11-09-21, 02:50 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
if the original elastomer is dead in current condition, you could try to regenerate it. On redshift stems, there are 2 elastomer pieces that tend to harden and shrink causing excessive movement. the fix that, people put the 2 pieces of elastomer in boiling water. The heat allows the elastomer to soften and it goes back to it original molded/injected dimensions.
you could try that if you think the "solidified" elastomer of hub is scrapped
Old 07-26-22, 03:48 PM
jayray26

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Andrew (and MTZER if you are still listening).
I too have a Dahon Speed Pro with a Pantour hub in which the elastomer has failed.
I have a couple of questions. about replacing the elastomer.
First, I assume the Thudbuster LT elastome you were suggesting is the seatpost elastomer sold by Crane Creek?
Nowadays, these do not seem to be sold be sold by color - they are all black - they just describe the various types as "firm", "extra firm", "medium", "soft" etc.
Do you happen to know what firmness the blue elastomer was?

Second question, the pantour suspension hub owners manual I found online shows a couple of large spacers/washers on either side of the hub (they are labelled 4 & 5 in the owners manual, if you have access to it) these seem to be missing from the hub I have, and there is some side-to-side play of the hub on the two "axles" (though the bearings themselves do not seem to be worn). Do you have those specers in your hub, and what are they made from? I thought might replace them with something like felt, to provide a seal, but that might be entirely the wrong idea. Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.
Old 07-26-22, 03:52 PM
jayray26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTZER
Hello Andrew!
Thanks a lot for your post and the picture! It seems very simple to replace it and it is far away from the pain I imagined myself going through by reading through all the old stories.
Anyway, I called Ben at Kinetics and he seemed to have some of the last spare Pantour hub elastomers! He said some already solidified but I am just getting them for the sake of curiosity about the shape and material! I have a small elastomer laying around here which is looking like the Cane Creek which I'm planning to use! I'll keep you posted with a picture this week when I do the replacement.

Thanks again!
Did you ever manage to get this done MTZER?
Old 07-29-22, 01:30 PM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jayray26
Hi Andrew (and MTZER if you are still listening).
I too have a Dahon Speed Pro with a Pantour hub in which the elastomer has failed.
I have a couple of questions. about replacing the elastomer.
First, I assume the Thudbuster LT elastome you were suggesting is the seatpost elastomer sold by Crane Creek?
Nowadays, these do not seem to be sold be sold by color - they are all black - they just describe the various types as "firm", "extra firm", "medium", "soft" etc.
Do you happen to know what firmness the blue elastomer was?

Second question, the pantour suspension hub owners manual I found online shows a couple of large spacers/washers on either side of the hub (they are labelled 4 & 5 in the owners manual, if you have access to it) these seem to be missing from the hub I have, and there is some side-to-side play of the hub on the two "axles" (though the bearings themselves do not seem to be worn). Do you have those specers in your hub, and what are they made from? I thought might replace them with something like felt, to provide a seal, but that might be entirely the wrong idea. Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.
I'm fairly sure that the blue elastomer (from Cane Creek) was medium density and that black was hard and grey was soft. I have to say I think that the blue might be a little bit too firm for my weight (76kg) and I would suggest you obtain two or three different densities to experiment with if you can.
In my (paper copy) manual part 4 is the bearing. Part 5 is the debris guard which I think is the spacer you are referring to. It is constructed the same way as a rubber shield on a typical axle bearing including the ones in these hubs. That is, a thin metal washer which is coated with rubber on the external face and around the circumference and you correctly identify them as seals. You could replace them with thin metal or plastic washers of the correct thickness to eliminate the sideways play, but obviously without the sealing rubber you would be entirely reliant on the bearing shields to keep debris out.

Last edited by Jonesandrew; 07-29-22 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-03-22, 05:19 AM
jayray26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
I'm fairly sure that the blue elastomer (from Cane Creek) was medium density and that black was hard and grey was soft. I have to say I think that the blue might be a little bit too firm for my weight (76kg) and I would suggest you obtain two or three different densities to experiment with if you can.
In my (paper copy) manual part 4 is the bearing. Part 5 is the debris guard which I think is the spacer you are referring to. It is constructed the same way as a rubber shield on a typical axle bearing including the ones in these hubs. That is, a thin metal washer which is coated with rubber on the external face and around the circumference and you correctly identify them as seals. You could replace them with thin metal or plastic washers of the correct thickness to eliminate the sideways play, but obviously without the sealing rubber you would be entirely reliant on the bearing shields to keep debris out.

Thanks Andrew - that's really helpful - I misread the user manual - i see part 5 is the debris guard. I am still a little puzzled about what it is that should prevent the side-to-side movement - whether it is the debris guard 5, or the small washers (3). Does the Debris guard actually sit within the recess in the hub, on top of the bearing? I think that may be what i'm seeing when I remove the end cap (2) - otherwise, I can't see how it would remain in place. Maybe I just need to squeeze the end caps together harder (the user manual says to use a vise - did you have to do that?
As far as cutting the replacement elastomer to the right shape and size, did you just do this by eye? the original elastome im my hub is now totally mis-shapen and so not much help.
I did try putting it in hot (not boiling) water, and it instantly went (and remained) very soft and squidgy.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

John

Thanks again for all the
Old 08-04-22, 03:05 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=jayray26;22596897]Thanks Andrew - that's really helpful - I misread the user manual - i see part 5 is the debris guard. I am still a little puzzled about what it is that should prevent the side-to-side movement - whether it is the debris guard 5, or the small washers (3). Does the Debris guard actually sit within the recess in the hub, on top of the bearing? I think that may be what i'm seeing when I remove the end cap (2) - otherwise, I can't see how it would remain in place. Maybe I just need to squeeze the end caps together harder (the user manual says to use a vise - did you have to do that?
As far as cutting the replacement elastomer to the right shape and size, did you just do this by eye? the original elastome im my hub is now totally mis-shapen and so not much help.
I did try putting it in hot (not boiling) water, and it instantly went (and remained) very soft and squidgy.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

John
/QUOTE]
Hi John, I just double checked - the debris guards do not act as centralising spacers - the rubber is too soft. The washers (3) do that job. My hub has two "wavy" spring washers on each side. In the uncompressed condition the combined thickness of the two is approximately 1mm. Note that as I mentioned in my #15 above, even brand new bearings allow a little side to side play at the rim. My guess is your bearings have more wear than mine. I didn't need to press the end cap on with a vise. It is a snug fit, but I can push it home by hand. Note that the axle and pivot tubes bottom out in the blind holes in the end cap so pressing together with too much force might damage something. Yes I just cut the elastomer by eye. Trial and error. First one I cut too small, second attempt is still installed. I think the original shapes are simple square cut blocks as shown in the exploded drawing in the manual, but there wasn't enough material in the Cane Creek elastomer to make one that shape, so I cut a segment as I hope you can see in the picture above. Thanks for the feedback about the hot water trick - you just saved me some time!