Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage SUZUE & NORMANDY Hub Parts Interchangeability

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-07-22, 04:33 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts

I am building a set of wheels for a late 70's Raleigh Super Grand Prix using all Japanese components. The only Made In Japan hubs I have are some old SUZUE hubs, the rear of which has a solid bolt-on axle.

I thought to swap the axle with one from a mutilated Normandy hub but the QR axle is slightly larger in diameter than the solid axle. I then thought I'd use the cones as well from the Normandy but the ball bearings for the SUZUE are 1/4" diameter and the Normandy are 7/32" diameter.

So, can I use the Normandy axle and cones with the Suzue hub and if yes, which ball bearings should I use, 1/4" or 7/32" ?

Last edited by branko_76; 08-07-22 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 04:34 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Old 08-07-22, 05:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I am building a set of wheels for a late 70's Raleigh Super Grand Prix using all Japanese components. The only Made In Japan hubs I have are some old SUZUE hubs, the rear of which has a solid bolt on axle.

I thought to swap the axle with one from a mutilated Normandy hub but the QR axle is slightly larger in diameter than the solid axle. I then thought I'd use the cones as well from the Normandy but the ball bearings for the SUZUE are 1/4" diameter and the Normandy are 7/32" diameter.

So, can I use the Normandy axle and cones with the Suzue hub and if yes, which ball bearings should I use, 1/4" or 3/32" ?.

So your rear Normandy hub as how many 7/32" ball bearings?

Sounds like what you might find in a Helicomatic hub(?).
Likes For dddd:
Old 08-07-22, 05:45 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by dddd
So your rear Normandy hub as how many 7/32" ball bearings?

Sounds like what you might find in a Helicomatic hub(?).
Yes, 7/32". Will need to count.

Maybe I should double check another Normandy rear just to make sure the size is correct.
Old 08-07-22, 06:30 PM
branko_76 

Mystery Solved

The mutilated hub, which looks as though someone grabbed it between the flanges with a pair of channel-lock pliers, had fresh amber colored grease (I only use Park or Phil) and an odd number of bearings, 10 one side and 11 the other, all 7/32". So I'm guessing that "Channel-Lock Man", used what he had on hand.

Old 08-07-22, 06:32 PM
branko_76 

Virgin Normandy Rear Hub

Old grease with (9) 1/4" bearings each side

Old 08-07-22, 06:34 PM
branko_76 

Notes from a previous restoration....

Old 08-07-22, 07:43 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
I am building a set of wheels for a late 70's Raleigh Super Grand Prix using all Japanese components. The only Made In Japan hubs I have are some old SUZUE hubs, the rear of which has a solid bolt-on axle.

I thought to swap the axle with one from a mutilated Normandy hub but the QR axle is slightly larger in diameter than the solid axle.

[snip]

So, can I use the Normandy axle and cones with the Suzue hub
Rear QR axles are 10mm, solid are 9.5.

Using a different set of axle+cones in the same hub will likely work, but there are three possible issues:

a) the cone may not fit in the dust-cap - can be too big (won't go at all) or too small (lets grit in);
b) the axle and cones may not fit the frame - in which case you may have to shorten the axle or remove/add spacers; and
c) hub cones and cups are ground[1] to specific curvatures and dimensions such that the line between the two points of contact is at an angle that best supports the expected combination of radial and thrust loads; substitute a cone with a slightly different curve and the angle may change considerably.

[1] Well, not all of them are ground, your Normandy ones are not, they are nasty stamped-and-case-hardened bits of cheap steel. Check them carefully, if unpitted and adjusted correctly (a *tiny* amount of loose play to be taken up when the qr tightens) you can get some use out of them. I bet the Suzue ones are better.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 08-07-22, 08:11 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by oneclick

Using a different set of axle+cones in the same hub will likely work, but there are three possible issues:

a) the cone may not fit in the dust-cap - can be too big (won't go at all) or too small (lets grit in);
b) the axle and cones may not fit the frame - in which case you may have to shorten the axle or remove/add spacers; and
c) hub cones and cups are ground[1] to specific curvatures and dimensions such that the line between the two points of contact is at an angle that best supports the expected combination of radial and thrust loads; substitute a cone with a slightly different curve and the angle may change considerably.

[1] Well, not all of them are ground, your Normandy ones are not, they are nasty stamped-and-case-hardened bits of cheap steel. Check them carefully, if unpitted and adjusted correctly (a *tiny* amount of loose play to be taken up when the qr tightens) you can get some use out of them. I bet the Suzue ones are better.
Thank you. You made some points I had not considered such as cone depth and diameter. Will take a closer look at all points of interest
Old 08-12-22, 08:37 AM
branko_76 

I tried swapping the QR axle and cones from the Normandy rear to the Suzue but it's not going to work, I'll just leave the solid axle in the Suzue and use it for another project. The Normandy hubs will stay with the Raleigh Super Grand Prix.
Old 08-12-22, 10:19 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

note for anyone seeking axle parts for Maillard produced hubs -

member verktyg has made several highly detailed posts on this topic with fine measurements, drawings and closeup photos

he covers both the ordinary quality axle parts found on Atom, Normandy Sport and Schwinn Approved Maillard built models as well as the higher quality parts on the Luxe Competition model hubs

was surprised to learn there are three differing contours for Luxe Competition model cones

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-12-22 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spellin'
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-12-22, 08:30 PM
juvela

-----

addendum -

forgot to mention above that the Maillard facility in Incheville closed permanently in 1991 so it has now been over thirty year since any Maillard bits produced

enthusiasts need to be creative with their spanner twistin' efforts when it comes to keeping the products in good running order...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-13-22, 06:59 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Mystery Solved

The mutilated hub, which looks as though someone grabbed it between the flanges with a pair of channel-lock pliers, had fresh amber colored grease (I only use Park or Phil) and an odd number of bearings, 10 one side and 11 the other, all 7/32". So I'm guessing that "Channel-Lock Man", used what he had on hand.
This kind of thing is a syndrome I call "Chimps with Tools"
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 08-13-22, 07:30 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by old's'cool
This kind of thing is a syndrome I call "Chimps with Tools"
"Channel-Lock-Man" predates chimps
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-14-22, 09:13 AM
juvela

-----

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-01-22, 05:03 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Did that used to be true? Wheels Mfg sells both types in all sorts of interchangeable dimensions.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html
Old 09-01-22, 09:26 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Did that used to be true? Wheels Mfg sells both types in all sorts of interchangeable dimensions.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html
I have a box of solid axles from different hub manufacturers of the 1970's, I didn't measure them but the rear axles are all slightly smaller than their hollow counterparts
Old 09-01-22, 09:49 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I have a box of solid axles from different hub manufacturers of the 1970's, I didn't measure them but the rear axles are all slightly smaller than their hollow counterparts
Yeah, I don't know. I've been swapping in hollow axles on low level bikes for over 10 years.