Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Not sure what brand of 1970's 10 speed I have

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Not sure what brand of 1970's 10 speed I have

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 06:21 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by thea_vc
...can you tell anything from the Serial Number at all? ...

...I am the original owner of the bike and I know it didn't come from a Sears or JCPenney's type department store, but rather a Sporting Goods Store. I do not believe any components have been switched out, unless unknowingly during the paint job. The reason that I had it painted was this... When I was in college, (1980), in rural Montana, we lived across the street from this German bike manufacturer who did custom paint jobs. We kinda got to know the people and had it done at a very reasonable price. Anyway, it was, and is just a sentimental piece of my history. It's probably worth having it overhauled for that reason alone, since I've already packed it around for 30 years, and it was given to me by my parents for my sweet 16th birthday, on May 16, 1977....
In this case, I can't provide any clues to the brand, based on the serial number.

It's nice to know that we have a defined date and original components. However, the bicycle could predate the purchase by a several years. The last year of the boom was 1974 and sales plummeted almost 50% in 1975. Nobody had been expecting the bubble to burst and the big orders placed for 1975 gathered dust for a few years on many a showroom floor. To this end, it might be worthwhile to check the date codes on the major components. Check out https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm for the location and decyphering of the codes, based on the the component manufacturer.

Originally Posted by ricohman
...Iverson was made in Austria if I recalll correctly.
And these bikes had a mix of shimano and suntour components. In fact my old Iverson 3spd has a shimano rear hub and other japanese components.

I'm pretty sure that Iverson was a USA manufacturer.

...Ok, it looks as though I will need the special tool in order to get to the BB shell, and the measurement of it from end to end is 7 cm.
Wow, that's a bit of a shock. Japanese components on a 1977 model with a italian width BB shell! Are you sure you measured only the shell and did not include the width of the cups?

...Hmmm... What were the Italian bicycles of the 70's?
Well, the one possibility that comes to mind, given that that you thought Iverson was possibility, is Italvega. Furthermore, 1977 would have been right about the time they were were switching production to Japan and changing the name to Univega. A transition period could explain the Japanese parts. Italvega was actually an American owned brand that was manufactured in Italy.

Other full range italian brands that were marketed in the USA at this time were Atala, Atalasienne, Atlantica, Benotto, Bianchi, Bottechia, Camera, Carnielli, Chiorda, Coppi, Corso, Cortina, Doniselli, Frejus, Fiorelli, Garlatti, Legnano, Maserati, Moretti, Torpado, Vanquer, Urago and Veloce. I think this is most of them. There were many other Italian brands, but they were high end.

Given that we are looking at brands with Italian width BB shells, we should not overlook the possibility of Mexican manufacturers brands such as Benotto, Carabella and Windsor.

Last edited by T-Mar; 12-11-07 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 06:30 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
In this case, I can't provide any clues to the brand, based on the serial number.

It's nice to know that we have a defined date and original components. However, the bicycle could predate the purchase by a several years. The last year of the boom was 1974 and sales plummeted almost 50% in 1975. Nobody had been expecting the bubble to burst and the big orders placed for 1975 gathered dust for a few years on many a showroom floor. To this end, it might be worthwhile to check the date codes on the major components. Check out https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm for the location and decyphering of the codes, based on the the component manufacturer.

Wow, that's a bit of a shock. Japanese components on a 1977 model with a italian width BB shell! Are you sure you measured only the shell and did not include the width of the cups?

Well, the one possibility that comes to mind, given that that you thought Iverson was possibility, is Italvega. Furthermore, 1977 would have been right about the time they were were switching production to Japan and changing the name to Univega. A transition period could explain the Japanese parts. Italvega was actually an American owned brand that was manufactured in Italy.

Other full range italian brands that were marketed in the USA at this time were Atala, Atalasienne, Atlantica, Benotto, Bianchi, Bottechia, Camera, Carnielli, Chiorda, Coppi, Corso, Cortina, Doniselli, Frejus, Fiorelli, Garlatti, Legnano, Maserati, Moretti, Torpado, Vanquer, Urago and Veloce. I think this is most of them. There were many other Italian brands, but they were high end.

Given that we are looking at brands with Italian width BB shells, we should not overlook the possibility of Mexican manufacturers brands such as Benotto, Carabella and Windsor.
Wow, you are indeed an expert.
Old 12-11-07, 08:06 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
If you want to give them that much credit . My memories of Iverson in the 70's were, at $69.95, the absolutely lowest quality piece of trash that you could ever attach two wheels to. They made Huffy and Murray look like quality products in comparison. Sold only out of the forerunners of big box stores and catalog showrooms, they were so bad that I seriously doubt that anyone who bought one stayed in cycling long enough to buy a better, second, bike.

Going back to the pictures, that bike is too good to be an Iverson - at least the ones that were sold in Erie.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 12-11-07 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 08:55 PM
thea_vc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok people, I'm SOOO sorry; I messed up. I don't know why I was thinking 16th birthday. My mom found the picture, scanned it and sent it to me this evening. I was TWELVE. So that makes the bike 1973 or, most likely, prior. You are ALL so knowledgeable about all this history! I am going to post that 'ancient' picture. It is still difficult to see any writing on the posts, but now I do remember those decals running the length of the top and front tubes in the fluted area. It seems as though the design was diamond or triangular patterns.
Old 12-11-07, 08:57 PM
thea_vc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The original, brand new bike in 1973, with the candy red paint, and price tag still attached.

Last edited by thea_vc; 12-11-07 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 09:19 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You were one happy young lady . I suspect that the photo will be enough to get the experts here on the right trail.

East Hill
Old 12-11-07, 09:42 PM
thea_vc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Could this possibly be a Sekine? While researching vintage bikes on the web, I came across a picture of the "Sekine Headbadge" and it just looked SO familiar. Mine does not have that, but I am curious, because..... there are two small holes on the front of my bike, where it very well could've been!

https://cansekine.tripod.com/id12.html

SHT model possibly?

Last edited by thea_vc; 12-11-07 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 11:16 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

When you get a chance to see the actual picture you could also try a magnifying glass - sometimes the resolution if much better than you'd think.
Old 12-11-07, 11:21 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Says the SHT had forged dropouts.
However, the same site offers this info: "SHB: SR cotterless, swaged, aluminum crankset.Shimano Tourney centre-pull brakes. Shimano Tourney large flange hubs with wing nuts (later with quick relaese). Shimano Lark or Eagle derailleurs. Chromed fork tips. Stamped dropouts. Made in Japan."

Which is closer to what you have, except that you have Suntour dérailleurs which are quite a step up from Shimano Lark or Eagle. Although it is possible for supplies to vary through the years, a lot of manufacturers would switch suppliers if one company or the other they usually relied on was out of stock.

Last edited by Mos6502; 12-11-07 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-12-07, 07:02 AM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That is not a Sekine. They never used tubing like that.
The foil decal on the downtube looks Gitane-ish, and the frame looks european.
Its the use of that tubing and swaged ends that is a puzzler.
Old 12-12-07, 08:05 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by ricohman
That is not a Sekine. They never used tubing like that.
The foil decal on the downtube looks Gitane-ish, and the frame looks european.
Its the use of that tubing and swaged ends that is a puzzler.
I concur, it is not a Sekine. During that period, I was selling Sekine and I don't recall any with fluted tubing or crimped stay ends. The low end models also did not have had chrome fork and stay ends. Of course that was a long time ago, but still the serial number isn't correct for a Sekine from that period and the bottom bracket would not be 70mm wide.
Old 12-12-07, 09:21 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

My mom found the picture, scanned it and sent it to me this evening. I was TWELVE. So that makes the bike 1973
Wow - your mother is great. Not many women who gave birth in 1961 (or men of the same age) can scan and email a picture in 2007.
Old 12-12-07, 09:29 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Here's a link to Gitane catalogues of that era:

https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/ma..._itemId=255028
Old 12-12-07, 01:09 PM
thea_vc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooker: "Wow - your mother is great. Not many women who gave birth in 1961 (or men of the same age) can scan and email a picture in 2007."

Ya, she's pretty great! I have awesome parents!

Last edited by thea_vc; 12-14-07 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-12-07, 05:25 PM
thea_vc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I've been trying to find date codes on major component parts, according to "Check out https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm for the location and decyphering of the codes, based on the the component manufacturer." So far, I'm not having any luck...
Old 12-12-07, 06:04 PM
DynamicD74

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Who is T-Mar?
T-Mar is a VERY knowledgeable (sp?) guy who helped me tremendously when it came to identifying my Fuji, as well as trying to set up a Fuji serial number database. Essentially, he totally ROCKS!1:-D Anyway, just from looking at the pics, it kind of looks like my Fuji! If so....what a lucky person you are! I love my Fuji!
Likes For DynamicD74:
Old 12-12-07, 06:05 PM
DynamicD74

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Wow, you are indeed an expert.
Go T-Mar! Go T-Mar! Get busy! LOL! You are the man!!!! :-D
Old 12-13-07, 09:33 AM
T-Mar

A date of 1973 makes more sense, given the frame attributes, however it causes even more puzzlement over the bottom bracket width. It would be extremely rare to have an Italian brand with Japanese components during the peak year of the boom. I can think of three possible situations for this:

1, It is actually of Mexican origin, as they also used Italian bicycle standards.
2. It is US brand, with the frame contract manufactured in Italy but assembled in the US.
3. As per 2 above, but being a house brand for a large shop.

To this end, do you remember the city and name of the shop?

Are you having problems finding the component date codes or decyphering them?

While the picture does not help me in identifying the brand, I want to thank you and your mother for posting it. It brought back memories of my own birthday bicycle, how much it meant to me and how great my own parents were.
Old 12-13-07, 02:14 PM
thea_vc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
T-Mar: That's awesome that you have those same feelings, and can relate to it. I guess I'm just a sentimental person, and that's why I've hung on to this bike for so many years.

Anyway, yes, I am having a very difficult time finding ANY component dates; I see none what-so-ever. I did remove the seat post, and one of the SunTour brackets, but there's nothing. As far as taking anything else apart, I'm afraid that I won't get it back together correctly. I've taken a flashlight and tried peering behind different parts, and I just can't see any letters or numbers anywhere.

The store where the bike was purchased was in Havre, Montana, and I believe it was a family owned sporting goods store that carried ski's, bikes, and the sort. My parents may remember the name of the store, but they have long been out of business.

I believe I measured the bottom bracket correctly, but I will check it again. I just measured the painted portion of the bracket, excluding the metal parts connected to the ends.
Old 12-13-07, 08:44 PM
PBR Streetgang

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe I measured the bottom bracket correctly, but I will check it again. I just measured the painted portion of the bracket, excluding the metal parts connected to the ends.
That's the right way to measure it, but 70 mm and 68 mm are awfully close.
Old 12-14-07, 09:01 AM
T-Mar

T-Mar: That's awesome that you have those same feelings, and can relate to it. I guess I'm just a sentimental person, and that's why I've hung on to this bike for so many years.
Unfortunately, I ended up selling mine to finance a better bicycle. One of these days I will hunt down one of its brothers. In fact, maybe I'll post for one in the WTB sticky.

Anyway, yes, I am having a very difficult time finding ANY component dates; I see none what-so-ever. I did remove the seat post, and one of the SunTour brackets, but there's nothing. As far as taking anything else apart, I'm afraid that I won't get it back together correctly. I've taken a flashlight and tried peering behind different parts, and I just can't see any letters or numbers anywhere..
I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially now that we have the birhtday photo and can see that most, if not all, the components are original.

Of course, what you really need to do next year, on your birthday, is restage the photo. Having 35 year, "then and now" photos would be so cool. OK, maybe it would only have been "cool" in 1973. I'm not sure what the relevant terminology is these days.

The store where the bike was purchased was in Havre, Montana, and I believe it was a family owned sporting goods store that carried ski's, bikes, and the sort. My parents may remember the name of the store, but they have long been out of business..
It was a long shot, but the reason I asked is that some of the bigger shops placed classified ads in the bicycling magazines. Often these ads named the brands that the store carried. I went through my stash from that period and could only find one Montana bicycle shop, Braxton's in Missoula.

If you still have family or friends in Havre, there is one other long shot. Sometimes, public libraries keep old phone books. If so, there might be Yellow Pages ads for the bicycles shops and they may list the brands carried.

Yes, that is the correct method.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-14-07, 09:17 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

If you still have family or friends in Havre, there is one other long shot. Sometimes, public libraries keep old phone books. If so, there might be Yellow Pages ads for the bicycles shops and they may list the brands carried.
Very likely possibility. My husband just picked up an old phone directory for Yuba County in which that was exactly the case. Got it off eBay dirt cheap .

East Hill
Old 12-17-07, 10:07 AM
thea_vc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm definitely going to go to the Library in Havre when I'm up there for Christmas. If I don't find anything there, then I will search e-Bay. I love solving mysteries! LOL
Old 12-17-07, 10:10 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm definitely going to go to the Library in Havre when I'm up there for Christmas. If I don't find anything there, then I will search e-Bay. I love solving mysteries! LOL
Just one reason why I love doing genealogy as well as playing with old bicycles!

East Hill
Likes For East Hill:
Old 12-17-07, 10:15 AM
thea_vc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
T-Mar: Of course, what you really need to do next year, on your birthday, is restage the photo. Having 35 year, "then and now" photos would be so cool. OK, maybe it would only have been "cool" in 1973. I'm not sure what the relevant terminology is these days. "

Thea: Haha! I will definitely have to do that; what a great idea! It would be very "cool", or as they seem to say these days..... "that would be so SICK". LOL

T-Mar: It was a long shot, but the reason I asked is that some of the bigger shops placed classified ads in the bicycling magazines. Often these ads named the brands that the store carried. I went through my stash from that period and could only find one Montana bicycle shop, Braxton's in Missoula.

Thea: I am definitely going to check out the Havre Library when I'm up there for Christmas! I will look for the old phone books. I also lived in Missoula (in fact that's where I had the bike painted) and recall the Braxton name. What was the address?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.