Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

commuting too difficult...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

commuting too difficult...

Old 08-09-08, 11:15 PM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Cannondale R700, Custom Cannondale Fixed, Research Dynamic Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
normally in my backpack, I have a change of clothes, a thermos of coffee, and lunch... [/QUOTE]

A thermos of coffee? What for? Are you drinking at red lights?
Old 08-10-08, 07:55 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before I moved my commute used to be about 3 miles and to be frank It does nothing for weightloss or improving fitness, you need to be cycling longer distances or doing some other exercise to lose weight. Still eat well before you ride if you are feeling shakey though. I would look at swimming or something else to compliment the cycling.
Old 08-10-08, 09:09 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MrRamonG
normally in my backpack, I have a change of clothes, a thermos of coffee, and lunch...
A thermos of coffee? What for? Are you drinking at red lights?[/quote]

well, my office does have a communal pot but usually the stuff tastes like swill, and I like to enjoy a morning cup of coffee when I arrive at work... not sure why that would seem different but it is what it is...

oh and its only a 16 0z thermos by the way...

Last edited by e0richt; 08-10-08 at 09:13 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-10-08, 09:48 AM
MrRamonG
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Cannondale R700, Custom Cannondale Fixed, Research Dynamic Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my cup of coffee too. And office coffee does turn into battery acid two hours after it has been brewed. Luckily, I am usually the first in the office so I brew the pot and have the first mug.
Old 08-10-08, 09:53 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For winter you coffee lovers should look up some of the threads on coffee cups that you can put in water bottle holders. I am allergic to caffeine and do not see the point to decaf so no coffee for me.
Old 08-10-08, 10:27 AM
coldfeet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You say you are an "Uber-Clyde" I wonder if the backpack is to tight? Personally I cannot stand wearing a backpack for any length of time on a bike. A rear rack is cheap, try strapping it on there, if that helps, get panniers. ( or a milk crate and go properly "fred" ) The other thing is, time of day. Some people just don't function well early. Did you try your weekend ride at the same time?
Old 08-10-08, 10:28 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Lose the backpack and put the luggage on the rack. You'll sweat a lot less.
Old 08-10-08, 10:29 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I've noticed that normally I tend to do the first few blocks quite casually. Then as my body wakes up the speed rises for the remainder of the commute and I'm fine.

However on days when I realize I'm late I tend to hit the pedals hard right off the bat. When I do it that way I arrive totally winded and flustered after a heart pounding ride and it only cuts maybe 3 to 5 minutes from my 25 minute normal time.

So leave a few minutes earlier and try to ride as if you are on a rec ride.

Or it could be the snack you're having just before leaving. Oatmeal may not produce the short term energy you're after. Something more like an orange or whatever may give you more of a kick for that early morning time.

It may also be that you just need to ride more often. The body is amazingly good at "remembering" but it's not the fastest at "learning" new work patterns. It's the sort of thing that makes runners and other regular athletes go through the DT's if they suddenly can't work out at the same time each day. I know that when I'm away on a course or the winter ice makes me park the bikes that I'm almost going nuts for a ride after a few days. I even welcome the rains that melt the ice just because it means I can get back to riding.... and this includes the early morning ride.
Old 08-10-08, 11:08 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by e0richt
I have tried to do some commuting this season, I have gone at least 2-3 times a week since the beginning of may...
Some of my coworkers commute about as often as that and it seems like they are more tired than I am. (I commute 3.5 miles 5 days a week and only skip it when I call in sick to work.)

Originally Posted by ctwxlvr
try doing your commute on a weekend as your rec ride and comapre
Good idea.

Originally Posted by coldfeet
Personally I cannot stand wearing a backpack for any length of time on a bike. A rear rack is cheap, try strapping it on there, if that helps, get panniers. ( or a milk crate and go properly "fred" )
Having a backpack on my back would be enough to give me a stressful ride. YMMV.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-10-08, 12:01 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
It seems that I am exerting myself much harder for the commute but don't really seem to be going that fast... there is this overpass that I go over and I swear I have to really gear down just to make it up the "hill" and on my recreational ride this morning it didn't seem bad at all... in fact I was only planning to do 15 miles and decided I felt good to do twenty...
I think your perception is true. I think it is part stress, part fatigue, and part that you're just not warmed up.

I stretch before every single commute. However, even on windless days, it doesn't matter how hard I work -- my speeds just stink for the first few miles. It takes at least 10 miles for me to warm up and I'll find that once that happens, I'm working much less to maintain higher speeds.

3.5 miles is very short. I would recommend expecting to just take a pace that feels comfortable and don't try to get up to speed because you won't be warmed up in time. I also think that if you take the 7 mile route, you will feel better though you may be finishing your commute just as you start feeling better.
Old 08-10-08, 03:56 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have tried to do some commuting this season, I have gone at least 2-3 times a week since the beginning of may... but I find that doing a commute is more difficult than just doing a recreational ride... My commute is around 3.5 miles (or 7 miles depending on which route I take...) but I find its harder to get up to speed and I breathe like a steam engine and I don't put in the miles like I would if I just did the recreational cycling...

so whats the problem? could it really be my backpack? (I am planning to ride my recreational area with it to see...) or can it be the car exhaust makes me work harder? Anyone else have this happen to them?

I may give up commuting for a bit and just do the recreational rides and see...
No problem.

If you really want to try commuting, that great. Just take a step back and think about the differences.

1) You're going to work.
2) Your route may be different, and you might not have as many options.
3) Is it dark outside?
4) You may feel that you have to do it, instead of just wanting to do it.
5) If you're carrying extra weight...
6) Traffic might me more challenging, since it's rush hour.

Overall, I chose commuting because I didn't have a lot of spare time to ride, and I figured, "Why not spend my time riding instead of sitting on a bus, or in a car?" But bike commuting is quite different from riding for recreation.

If you want to turn your commute into a more recreational ride, plan a back road home in the afternoon and take your sweet time.
Old 08-10-08, 04:42 PM
Stujoe
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok a bit more info about me... I am 46, not sure what you mean by fitness level, but I am an uber clyde trying to get down to just clyde... this morning I went for a 20 mile bike ride and had only discomfort in my
hands and saddle (not used to riding that long I guess...)
Is there a difference in what you eat or the amount of water you drink before a morning commute as opposed to a morning recreational ride?

Oh and I can never ride comfortably with a backpack.
Old 08-10-08, 04:51 PM
referee54

Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Lose the backpack and put the luggage on the rack. You'll sweat a lot less.
I agree-- I have rigged up both a rack trunk as well as panniers on mine, and I can carry far more and be more comfortable, as well.
Old 08-10-08, 04:55 PM
referee54

Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also---do not worry about speed---if you leave in plenty of time you will get there in plenty of time...my moring commute sucks time-wise, as well--but then I just learned to watch the sunrise (if it was that time of year)---and just enjoy cycling, period.

Keep up the RPM's and worry less about the time--enjoy this time and what you are doing for yourself, mentally and physically.

Tim C.
Old 08-10-08, 07:09 PM
vfrjim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it has to do with where you are going to, work is never a nice place to go and home is much better

I personally do not have any problems with my 2 mile commute to work or Home...
Old 08-10-08, 07:42 PM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 mile commute. Every morning I don't want to ride. Every morning on my way to work I think about how much this sucks, and how slow I am riding, and how much work it is, until about a mile from work, when things start to mellow out.

Then I arrive at work, EARLY of course, and have time to drink my coffee and relax. and I can only think about how nice it was to ride into work. I feel good.

Going home from work, I think about 10, 15, or 20 mile detours and how great they would be. If I can't detour, I ride home as fast as I can, pressing hard on the pedals, breathing hard. Either way, I am exhilarated and happy when I get home.

The moral is, riding to work seems to suck but is great afterwards, and riding home is always great, even when I have to take the shortest and fastest route. Because my go to work route is short, I barely warm up before I am there. I don't start feeling good till the very end. But no way I am going to wake up any earlier to get more miles in, 5:15 AM is plenty early as it is. Leaving early in the morning so that no matter what, you have time to relax when you get there, is very important to the morning commute.
Old 08-10-08, 08:24 PM
parker63

Bikes: '93 Univega Activa Trail, '86 Centurion LeMans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in a similar boat that you're in, and I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks. Overweight, etc.

One thing that I have tried and it makes a *big* difference for me is to make sure about checking the air pressure on your tires. I have mine maxed out. It says 50-75 p.s.i. on my sidewalls, and I inflate to 75. I don't know whether that's a good or bad idea, but as an experiment, it really makes a positive difference for me. My route is all flat streets, no hills or anything. And I have to check air pressure every couple of days too. Just a personal thing, but maybe it might help you too. Of course I'll defer to the more experienced on the board if this isn't a smart thing to do.

The headwinds going home still suck though...I feel like a freaking mime going slow motion against the wind! But I'm still doing it after two weeks straight, and intend to keep on keeping on. Good luck, and don't quit. Just know you're not alone out there.