Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need ideas for locking my trailer.

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 01:14 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a Burley nomad which I use for shopping and such. I live in a crappy neighborhood and trailers are a prized item so at every stop I have to disconnect the trailer and run a cable lock through the bottom and then into the bike rack.

Is there anyway to lock up the trailer when it's still connected to the bike? What are you guys doing to keep your trailers secure?
Old 08-07-08, 02:36 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I don't have that issue, but you can get some pretty long cables, and it seems like perhaps you could loop one end through part of the trailer and connect the other end to your bicycle lock without having to disconnect your trailer. Or if you simply locked the the trailer to itself in a way that the wheels wouldn't roll, you might discourage theft.
Old 08-07-08, 08:44 PM
surfimp
Hired geek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Wike which I tow with an Xtracycle. I pass a cable lock through one of the wheels on the trailer, around one of the frame members on the trailer, and then around the Xtracycle frame's "No Step" on the back.

Prior to the Xtracycle, I passed the cable lock through one wheel on the trailer and then through one frame member on the trailer. Could still be stolen that way, but I figured it'd be darn hard to get real far pushing it on one wheel...

Steve
Old 08-09-08, 09:09 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rig up a front wheel and a push handle and use it as your shopping cart. Can't get stolen it you are pushing it.

I'm looking for a (used craigslist deal) kid hauler bike trailer that has the stroller front wheel for exactly this reason. That way its loaded before I even leave and only have to hook it up and go.
Old 08-09-08, 11:15 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a cable with eye loops on each end. One end is wrapped around my trailer frame and the other end around my bike frame and padlocked to itself. It's routed though the hollow hitch arm on my BAW. A similar cable that secures my BOB, is wrapped around the trailer's fork, such it cannot get caught on anything. In either case, the trailer stays locked to my frame whether riding or stopped until I get home. I use a mini U-lock to secure bike frame to a post when I get to where I'm going.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 08-09-08 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 05:50 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Your answer lies with me, Cars pull trailers, trailers for cars can be locked,so put the trailer tounge on your trailer and hitch on bike, it will always be locked so need to lock it, plus it would work well
Old 08-10-08, 10:33 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is it locked?
Old 08-11-08, 09:04 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

On the tounge of a trailer theres a hole to put a lock through, just buy a combo lock or something and there you go, about something like this, install these parts, besides that odd piece I myself never seen, You get good turning to with these.

https://www.tiedown.com/images/86299-2.jpg
Old 08-11-08, 05:32 PM
jerryt
Its not my fault

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I would purchase two automotive hose clamps that tighten with an attached worm screw (sorry I don't know what to call it).
Put one clamp around the trailer tube near the hitch. Before tightening, use the other clamp held between the first clamp and the trailer tube ( similar to a figure eight but twisted of course). Run a cable lock or a regular lock thru the clamp and the bike.
A thief would have to unscrew the clamp or cut the lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
V300-HOSE-CLAMP-02_w100.jpg (19.0 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by jerryt; 08-11-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-11-08, 10:06 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
On the tounge of a trailer theres a hole to put a lock through, just buy a combo lock or something and there you go, about something like this, install these parts, besides that odd piece I myself never seen, You get good turning to with these.

https://www.tiedown.com/images/86299-2.jpg
Burly bike trailes don't have hitches that look like car hitches and they don't have a hole for a lock.
Old 08-11-08, 10:13 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerryt
I would purchase two automotive hose clamps that tighten with an attached worm screw (sorry I don't know what to call it).
Put one clamp around the trailer tube near the hitch. Before tightening, use the other clamp held between the first clamp and the trailer tube ( similar to a figure eight but twisted of course). Run a cable lock or a regular lock thru the clamp and the bike.
A thief would have to unscrew the clamp or cut the lock.
I like the idea but don't you think that hose clamps could easily be cut with something as small as a pair of ****s or tin snips? I think I'll find a welding shop to attach 2 steel hoops to the frame in the same manner that you described. Should be a lot stronger but still be as simple and effective.
Old 08-11-08, 10:47 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Domromer
I like the idea but don't you think that hose clamps could easily be cut with something as small as a pair of ****s or tin snips? I think I'll find a welding shop to attach 2 steel hoops to the frame in the same manner that you described. Should be a lot stronger but still be as simple and effective.
I agree with your cautiousness. Never underestimate the ingenuity or determination of an Oregon tweaker.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-11-08, 11:21 PM
grayloon

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hose clamps can be cut, but its difficult to do so if they are tight and one cannot get the tool inside the clamp. But, other ways may be more secure, especially as it only takes a screw driver to undo a clamp.
Old 08-12-08, 01:02 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should spend more time on the idea of locking your trailer to your bike at the hitch point. Sure, maybe the auto/trailer hitch and receiver lock isn't practical for you, but the idea is sound. It's been done for years. You need to examine your hitch/receiver and determine what you need to do to make it happen. Once it's securely attached to the bike, you'll only need to secure the bike via your normal method. My $.02, YMMV.