Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Avid BB5 Disc Brake Problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Avid BB5 Disc Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 03:28 PM
Altmangf
word.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new Specialized came with Avid BB-5 disc brakes and the front has been a problem since day one. The brakes stop well when applied with force, but under light braking the front seems to 'pulse'. With the bike in a stand, I spun the wheel and slowly squeezed the brake lever. At a certain point, I got a rhythmic scraping noise. Scrape...scrape...scrape...(thanks Koffee) went the brakes, and always at the same point in the rotation of the wheel.
Looking at the small gap between the pads and the rotors, I can see a very slight (perhabs 1mm or less) side to side movement. That is, the light I can see between the pad and the rotor disappears at the spot in the wheels rotation that coincides with the pulsing sensation.
The mechanic at my lbs first tried addressing this situation by re-torquing the bolts on the rotor. This did not work. He tried scuffing the pads with an abrasive, and cleaning the brakes with a solvent. This did not work. He also re-torqued the brake calipers. No help there. He then replaced the front rotor and pads, cleaned and retorqued all parts of the front brake system. The problem persisted.
Today, he installed a new front wheel with a different hub, going from a Deore to a Nexave C501. All parts were cleaned and torqued with a torque wrench. He re-used the second (replacement) rotor and, I believe, the skewer from the deore hub. I am NOT positive about the skewer being reused. The problem is the same as before. The side to side wobble of the disc, while small, persists, as does the 'pulse' sensation, which is most noticable under moderate to light braking at slow speeds, but is present at all speeds. This occurs with the suspension fork either active or locked out.

I have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be most appriciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Altmangf; 12-14-04 at 03:40 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks
Old 12-14-04, 03:49 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like a slightly warped rotor. Yes you can get two in a row
Old 12-14-04, 05:53 PM
oknups

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the hub? Is it possible that the rotor is true and the points that the rotor attaches to the hub are not in the same plane.
Also did he properly set the caliber as per Avid's instructions, 1mm is a big warp. I had a rub issue, before I reset the caliper. My local LBS was clueless and I did it on my own.
The pads are set real close, closer than recommended, but I have no pulse, or drag.
Works fine, even when braking hard.
Old 12-14-04, 05:54 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oknups
What about the hub? Is it possible that the rotor is true and the points that the rotor attaches to the hub are not in the same plane.
Also did he properly set the caliber as per Avid's instructions, 1mm is a big warp. I had a rub issue, before I reset the caliper. My local LBS was clueless and I did it on my own.
The pads are set real close, closer than recommended, but I have no pulse, or drag.
Works fine, even when braking hard.
Two different hubs- same problem. Rotor issue
Old 12-14-04, 06:14 PM
Altmangf
word.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does the Deore disc hub compare to the Nexave C501 as far as quality and durability are concerned?

Since the rear brake operates smoothly, can I swap rotors (front and rear) to test out the warped rotor theory?

Raiyn--How's things in St. Pete? I lived there for 7 years. Studied at Eckerd College, SPJC (now SPC?), PTEC. I loved living there.
Old 12-14-04, 06:25 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
To be honest I'd rather have my stock wheel back knowing that it's NOT the hub. Things are good here these days so long as the cops don't shoot someone. (I believe you know what I mean)