Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Newbie Questions/Comparisons

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Newbie Questions/Comparisons

Old 04-30-20, 11:34 AM
Emmang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Studio GUSTN vs. Priority Classic Plus Gotham

Hello all,

This is my first post. I am close to purchasing my first bike since I was a kid and narrowed down to two bikes that are really intriguing to me:

1. Studio by Republic Bike: GUSTN (Muffin Airless Tires, Gates Carbon Belt Drive, Shimano Nexus 3-Speed Internal Hub, Shimano Front & Rear Roller Brakes)

2. Priority Bicycles: Classic Plus Gotham Edition (Priority Puncture Resistant Tires, Gates Carbon Belt Drive, Shimano Nexus 3-Speed Internal Hub, and Priority V-Brakes)

My ideal bike is low-maintenance and easy to ride. My kids just all got bikes and now my wife and I want to join them in local neighborhood bike rides, some slight incline/decline, but mostly road.

Total out the door cost difference is $260 more for the GUSTN. What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

-Emmanuel

Last edited by Emmang; 04-30-20 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 07:35 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Hi Emmang, welcome to BikeForums. I'm not familiar with Republic Bikes, but have heard good things about the Priority products. Here's a link to another post that may be helpful.

I think you would be happy with either bike. I have to say, for purely subjective reasons, I'm not a fan of airless tires or roller brakes.
Old 05-01-20, 08:44 AM
Emmang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for your response Moe!

The link to the Priority thread was helpful too.

Would you say Shimano roller brakes are not as good as V-Brakes? I guess I was assuming that the roller brakes were one of the upgrades of the GUSTN compared to the Priority Plus.
Old 05-01-20, 09:14 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
For what you want to do, either bike will suit your needs. Rollerbrakes are generally heavier than other bike brakes. This is one reason they are less common on many bikes, where weight can reduce speed and becomes a deterrent for more serious bikers. Given that you'll be riding with kids on mostly flat surfaces or easy rolling hills you probably won't notice the weight difference. Having said all that, there is a definite difference in style between the two bikes which will translate into comfort for you. This difference is rider dependent so I'd go with the one you find easier and more comfortable to ride.

On a purely personal - non-technical - level, the GUSTN looks like the more expensive bike while the Gotham may be the better value.

Last edited by Tony P.; 05-01-20 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-03-20, 06:18 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Emmang
Thank you for your response Moe!

The link to the Priority thread was helpful too.

Would you say Shimano roller brakes are not as good as V-Brakes? I guess I was assuming that the roller brakes were one of the upgrades of the GUSTN compared to the Priority Plus.
Roller brakes have the advantage of being weather proof, but that's about it. If you plan to ride in all sorts of nasty weather they would be a good choice. My all-weather commuting bike had actual drum brakes and it was comforting to know that they would reliably stop when it was wet out. You'd probably fiddle with roller brakes a bit less than V-brakes. The only adjustment would be adjust the cable for stretch or wear. Rim brakes require the same cable adjustment, but also you need to adjust the pads in the right position and angle, and also the spring tension of the arms to ensure that the brakes are centered. Once adjusted, though, you shouldn't have to do much. In other words, I don't see roller brakes as an upgrade to v-brakes for most riders. They're just different and it's not worth paying more for just "different".
Old 05-05-20, 05:04 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Hi Emmang, Welcome to the forum. I didn't know about Priority Bicycles until after purchasing my Cannondale Quick 1 or else I would have bought the Priority Continuum which is about the same as what I paid for the Cannondale. I love the idea of having a chain-free, low maintenance bicycle which would be use for my daily work commute. If anyone on this board owns a Priority Bicycle similar to the mentioned model, please share your thoughts. I am thinking about purchasing one sometimes next year.
Old 05-05-20, 06:14 PM
Emmang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony P.
For what you want to do, either bike will suit your needs. Rollerbrakes are generally heavier than other bike brakes. This is one reason they are less common on many bikes, where weight can reduce speed and becomes a deterrent for more serious bikers. Given that you'll be riding with kids on mostly flat surfaces or easy rolling hills you probably won't notice the weight difference. Having said all that, there is a definite difference in style between the two bikes which will translate into comfort for you. This difference is rider dependent so I'd go with the one you find easier and more comfortable to ride.

On a purely personal - non-technical - level, the GUSTN looks like the more expensive bike while the Gotham may be the better value.
Thanks! Yes, I LOVE the look of the GUSTN and like the look of the Priority Gotham. But if everyone seems to agree that there’s not much difference between the two except for looks and brake type, I’m leaning towards the Priority.
Old 05-05-20, 06:16 PM
Emmang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Hi Emmang, Welcome to the forum. I didn't know about Priority Bicycles until after purchasing my Cannondale Quick 1 or else I would have bought the Priority Continuum which is about the same as what I paid for the Cannondale. I love the idea of having a chain-free, low maintenance bicycle which would be use for my daily work commute. If anyone on this board owns a Priority Bicycle similar to the mentioned model, please share your thoughts. I am thinking about purchasing one sometimes next year.
Thanks Pugs! Have you looked into the Studio GUSTN? I agree that their Continuum model looks great too... it’s out of my price range though.
Old 05-05-20, 06:38 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I have never heard of this brand until today. Thanks. Have never owned a bike with roller brakes so I don't know what they're like but I'm still stuck on disc brakes for my bikes.
Old 05-07-20, 08:46 AM
Emmang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a visual of the GUSTN:

Studio by Republic Bikes: GUSTN
Old 05-07-20, 08:47 AM
Emmang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And a visual of the Priority Classic Plus Gotham Edition:

Old 05-11-20, 05:02 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
The Priority bikes look nice with good features, I checked their site and they only seem to have the 2 higher end models in stock, I'd love to take a spin on that 600 with the transmission.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 05-18-20, 07:02 PM
Emmang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After initially ordering the Gotham (backordered until May 26th), I cancelled the order and decided to order the GUSTN instead.

I will keep everyone posted on my thoughts since I can’t find reviews on it anywhere.
Old 06-01-20, 05:03 PM
Emmang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got my bike! Had first ride yesterday (4 miles with slight incline/decline). Belt drive very smooth, I like the simplicity of the 3 speed, and the brakes work very well. My behind was quite sore afterwards and I figure I need to get used to riding lol.

Likes For Emmang:
Old 06-08-20, 05:22 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Emmang
Just got my bike! Had first ride yesterday (4 miles with slight incline/decline). Belt drive very smooth, I like the simplicity of the 3 speed, and the brakes work very well. My behind was quite sore afterwards and I figure I need to get used to riding lol.
Emmang - you may end up needing to swap tires out to get a little comfort. The specs you posted included 'airless' tires, which are likely solid foam - they won't absorb shock or vibration as well as a pneumatic tire.

I agree that 3 speed is all you need unless you're mountain climbing - I also commute on a 3 speed, I've got a Sturmey Archer 3sp on my commuter. I use downtube shifting, I got the hub cheap and built the wheel a few years ago, put it on my trusty Bianchi:
Old 06-10-20, 06:50 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
The Priority bikes look nice with good features, I checked their site and they only seem to have the 2 higher end models in stock, I'd love to take a spin on that 600 with the transmission.
I had the 600, very cool bike, super smooth and kush. Loved the Pinion gear.
Old 06-19-20, 09:18 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I like the Gustin the best, it has a very modern look to it.
Old 02-25-23, 08:19 PM
Rattlenhum

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow-up review?

Hey Emmang, curious how the bike has turned out after a couple years? I’ve owned a Republic single speed (Socrates?) since 2014 and been wanting a GUSTN, and finally ready- but still no one seems to have heard of them or reviewed them. I need super-low maintenance and durability for city commuting, and love these bikes, but just wanna make sure I’m making a smart purchase- and I hadn’t heard of Priority…