Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement of rear wheel axle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 08:35 AM
Tase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello I need little help so I need to replace rear wheel axle because old one is little bit disorted and I need to lubricate hub bearings.I have something called eurolub lagerfit NLGI 2 K2 K30 oil chemie lithiumverseift which means lithium saponified can I use that for the process is it meant for that is it safe or I need something else .Do someone knows what it is,I mean it is German so I don't have to much information. Wheel is 27.5 in with 7 gear cassette , axle tube is 5.8 it is classic system wheel
Any help and info is appreciated,thanks
Old 05-30-23, 08:55 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
If that's the same as white lithium grease, it will be fine. If you can find a suitable replacement axle, replacing it should be straightforward and actually pretty easy.
Old 05-30-23, 09:20 AM
Tase

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smd4
If that's the same as white lithium grease, it will be fine. If you can find a suitable replacement axle, replacing it should be straightforward and actually pretty easy.
Ok thank you ,yes it is easy to do,and this grease I have look like peanut butter it is little ticker and light brown in colour,so I don't think it is so ,only I can find which is translate from package tube is --rolling and sliding bearing grease for universal use and working temperature which is very high ,it sounds appropriate but I tried to put some of this lube on cleaned wheel just for test and it seems that previous lubricant original is little smoother when axle is spinning and I feel more resistance with new one
Old 05-30-23, 09:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Tase
Ok thank you ,yes it is easy to do,and this grease I have look like peanut butter it is little ticker and light brown in colour,so I don't think it is so ,only I can find which is translate from package tube is --rolling and sliding bearing grease for universal use and working temperature which is very high ,it sounds appropriate but I tried to put some of this lube on cleaned wheel just for test and it seems that previous lubricant original is little smoother when axle is spinning and I feel more resistance with new one
Well, thicker grease will add more resistance--but you won't notice that when riding. Any grease is better than none. White lithium grease has the consistency of Vaseline.

There are lots of suitable greases, many of which you can find at an automotive parts store. You can also order grease on-line from many retailers--many here like Phil's waterproof grease.
Old 05-30-23, 12:28 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
your bike's axle bearings will never get to a "high temperature".. EVER. not even once... unless they get over-tightened during setup, and then the high temps only occur at the contact points for less than a millisecond....

Lithium based greases tend to harden over time and will not maintain flowback characteristics... Most "thick grease" will not flow back into the bearing track well.

get some Phill's Grease, Park Bike Grease, or Maxima Waterproof Bearing Grease (my choice) .. all work well for bike axle bearings.

the BEST thing is to Clean and REGREASE your hubs at least once every two years... more often if you ride in the rain and mud.... and DO NOT pressure wash your bicycle hubs, head set,or bottom bracket.

and here's the absolutely best bike axle grease i know of.. i reserve it for "Top of the Line" hubs.. https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...ontent=Shimano

Last edited by maddog34; 05-30-23 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 01:08 PM
Tase

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smd4
Well, thicker grease will add more resistance--but you won't notice that when riding. Any grease is better than none. White lithium grease has the consistency of Vaseline.

There are lots of suitable greases, many of which you can find at an automotive parts store. You can also order grease on-line from many retailers--many here like Phil's waterproof grease.
So basically the smartest move is to buy a new grease ,I will look for this Phil's grease or something similar thanks
Old 05-30-23, 01:41 PM
Tase

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=maddog34;22907078]your bike's axle bearings will never get to a "high temperature".. EVER. not even once... unless they get over-tightened during setup, and then the high temps only occur at the contact points for less than a millisecond....

Lithium based greases tend to harden over time and will not maintain flowback characteristics... Most "thick grease" will not flow back into the bearing track well.

get some Phill's Grease, Park Bike Grease, or Maxima Waterproof Bearing Grease (my choice) .. all work well for bike axle bearings.

the BEST thing is to Clean and REGREASE your hubs at least once every two years... more often if you ride in the rain and mud.... and DO NOT pressure wash your bicycle hubs, head set,or bottom bracket.

and here's the absolutely best bike axle grease i know of.. i reserve it for "Top of the Line" hubs..

Ok i understand,and yes this grease have more resistance itself then the original one,I cleaned axle and other parts before putting this grease I only have ,what worried me is that I can fell some scratching metal on metal but not axle but bearings just a little bit when wheel is spinning and grease looks like it is melted but previous one was more consistent in shape and also greenish in colour
What make me confused is that on some internet sites proclaiming that NLGI 2 level of thicknes is the best for this job ,but I will not overthink ,I will search greases you mentioned I think it is the smartest to do and not worry latter on ,thanks for explaining
Likes For Tase:
Old 05-30-23, 02:09 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
FWIW: NGLI "grades" range from 000 to 6 in order of increasing thickness.

https://www.nlgi.org/grease-glossary/nlgi-grade/

My take: as I recall, "normal" automotive bearing grease is typically NGLI 2. That grade of grease should likely be fine for all but the most extreme-cold-weather cycling uses. (Most bicycle bearings don't experience anywhere near the loads or operate at anywhere near the rotational speeds that automotive bearings often do.)

If you often ride in wet weather and/or off-road through streams, using a marine-type or "waterproof" grease (e.g., the type used for boat trailer wheels) probably would be a good idea. Those are formulated to better exclude water than most other greases.

But it's your bike, so use what you think is best. Just use it regularly.
Likes For Hondo6: