Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clear-coating carbon fiber... which product?!?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 11:14 AM
K1196A

Bikes: '13 Wilier Gran Turismo; '87 Centurion Ironman Expert; '11 Trek Paragon; '15 Specialized Crux; '94 Trek 750 Multi-Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have an older Easton EC70 seatpost that I got that fit a build perfectly, but some of the finish needed TLC. I have done the sanding where it was needed to remove problems in the clear-coat and am ready to reapply, but was looking for product recommendations.

My understanding is I need to apply a UV resistant clear-coat... is that correct? I would prefer a rattle can product due to the project size (one seatpost).

Sorry if I missed this being answered before, but I didn't find anything on point (perhaps my google-fu is weak).

TIA.
Old 05-07-14, 05:42 PM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want uv resistant clear, you need 2k-clear of some sort. Go to a paint / body shop supply & show/explain to them what you are doing. THey can mix up some 2k clear (urethane or poly) with hardner in a spray bomb. Do not use the plasticote, duplicolor or rustoluem laquer / enamel rattle can clear on them. It will not give you the results you are looking for. Or - have a body shop spray them for you.
Old 05-07-14, 06:27 PM
K1196A

Bikes: '13 Wilier Gran Turismo; '87 Centurion Ironman Expert; '11 Trek Paragon; '15 Specialized Crux; '94 Trek 750 Multi-Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! Any thoughts on the Eastwood stuff? Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray? High-Gloss Clear
Old 05-08-14, 10:17 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by K1196A
Hey, wow. That's a fancy spraypak.
Old 06-02-14, 06:32 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! Any thoughts on the Eastwood stuff? Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray? High-Gloss Clear
Not sure if you still need info on this product, but I have used the matte clearcoat. Works great.
Old 06-03-14, 05:14 AM
K1196A

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too late for this project, but I appreciate it anyway. I ended up using USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol and it worked fairly well. I did get some orange peel, but that may have been my application and not the product (although I thought I did it as i should have). A little bit of super fine steel wool to buff it and it looked great. We'll see how it holds up in the long run!
Old 06-03-14, 11:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
An Epoxy paint? given the Binder of the Carbon is Epoxy..
Old 06-03-14, 11:34 AM
K1196A

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right, but it get's clear coated for UV protection, which is all I needed unless I'm missing an aspect. Can you clarify what you're saying? All that was done was a finish repair... nothing structural.
Old 06-03-14, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I have done the sanding where it was needed to remove problems in the clear-coat and am ready to reapply,.

Sold Under various brands , China makes so many low cost carbon seat posts , for the Western markets

consider you are paying more for your redo than a new post would cost.

Opaque black would be UV resistant for the stuff under it , but polymers in genreal break down under radiation from the sun.
Old 06-03-14, 02:40 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Sold Under various brands , China makes so many low cost carbon seat posts , for the Western markets

consider you are paying more for your redo than a new post would cost.

Opaque black would be UV resistant for the stuff under it , but polymers in genreal break down under radiation from the sun. [/COLOR]
The Eastwood 2k paint is a great product, but it's about $25 for a can. Once you mix it, the can needs to be used within a day or 2.

For future reference, 1 can is enough for a frameset an a 2nd fork.
Old 06-03-14, 02:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yachts and aerospace have the stuff..

You saying the stuff starts curing as soon as its exposed to atmospheric Moisture ..

found some stuff that replaces and saturates Nylon fabrics like that.. the Acetone and MEK evaporate .
Old 05-29-23, 12:19 PM
Felixthecat264

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an older Easton EC70 seatpost that I got that fit a build perfectly, but some of the finish needed TLC. I have done the sanding where it was needed to remove problems in the clear-coat and am ready to reapply, but was looking for product recommendations.

My understanding is I need to apply a UV resistant clear-coat... is that correct? I would prefer a rattle can product due to the project size (one seatpost).

Sorry if I missed this being answered before, but I didn't find anything on point (perhaps my google-fu is weak).

TIA.
I got a s-works venge vias carbon seatpost and somehow they are scratched. And I want to repair it.
From some angle view, I can see the carbon texture underneath it, but in other angle, I can’t see.
what do you think? Do you think Specialized manufacturer just spray a Matt black on the carbon aeatpost or they spray Matt clear coat instead?
if they are clear coat, does it mean I can fix it by fine sanding and respray Eastwood 2K clear coat Matt you recommended?
basically how to determine if the original is a clear coat or a black paint?
Apprecisted if anyone could provide recommendations
Old 05-29-23, 02:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Felixthecat264
I got a s-works venge vias carbon seatpost and somehow they are scratched. And I want to repair it.
From some angle view, I can see the carbon texture underneath it, but in other angle, I can’t see.
what do you think? Do you think Specialized manufacturer just spray a Matt black on the carbon aeatpost or they spray Matt clear coat instead?
if they are clear coat, does it mean I can fix it by fine sanding and respray Eastwood 2K clear coat Matt you recommended?
basically how to determine if the original is a clear coat or a black paint?
Apprecisted if anyone could provide recommendations
Just keep in mind this thread was last active in 2014 and a lot of the members in this thread are gone or may not see it. You might want to delete this post and start a new fresh one thread. 9 years is quite a long time ago on Internet forum.

I would check with Specialized on what they do with their seatposts and that will clue you in. But yes some fine sanding and a good UV resistant clear coat could work but I would check with Specialized first and see what they say.
Old 05-29-23, 09:19 PM
Felixthecat264

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Just keep in mind this thread was last active in 2014 and a lot of the members in this thread are gone or may not see it. You might want to delete this post and start a new fresh one thread. 9 years is quite a long time ago on Internet forum.

I would check with Specialized on what they do with their seatposts and that will clue you in. But yes some fine sanding and a good UV resistant clear coat could work but I would check with Specialized first and see what they say.
I didn’t realize this thread was 9 years ago and thanks for the advise.
I did contact Specialized Canada, but usually manufacturer won’t sell you any touch up paint. Yet hope they can still give me do
e hints or advise of what pai t they used on the seatpost
Likes For Felixthecat264:
Old 05-29-23, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Felixthecat264
I didn’t realize this thread was 9 years ago and thanks for the advise.
I did contact Specialized Canada, but usually manufacturer won’t sell you any touch up paint. Yet hope they can still give me do
e hints or advise of what pai t they used on the seatpost
Yeah they won't have touch up paint, that is best served with nail polish but they could tell you how the seat post is done and might have some advice on it or if you purchased the product new from an authorized dealer they might be able to help with a "crash" replacement.