Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Freewheel (kiddie) stoker

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 10:28 AM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I didn't found a lot of info on that online so I'll share what I did to arrange a freewheel stoker crank for my almost 4-year old daughter. The set up uses front drive with a left side sync chain and a BB mounted high on the seat tube.

I machined some left-hand freewheel threads on the crank shoulder using a lathe. Since the cast crank is a bit irregular it was tricky to mount in the chuck and the threads aren't perfectly centred (but it's pretty close).

I then used a left hand freewheel (used for left-hand drive on some BMXs) and fabricated a chainring adapter. You can also get LH flanged freewheel + adapters on https://www.staton-inc.com

img_20170908_085517-2.jpg

I also considered using a right-hand tread freewheel crank (used on e-bikes and trial bikes). But on the left side they freewheel the wrong way so you need to mount it backwards, but then it'll unscrew under torque. So I bolted a flange to prevent the freewheel from coming off (pretty tricky to do; not a lot of room and small threads are a pain to tap). Alternatively you can use loctite. It should work fine given the low torque of a kid.

img_20170908_085615-2.jpg

In hindsight I think it would be much simpler to use a right side sync chainring in lieu of the third front drive chainring (I have never needed it so far) combined with a regular freewheel stoker crank. You can easily find those and the freewheel + adapters.