Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Multiple Bikes & How You Use Them

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Multiple Bikes & How You Use Them

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 10:11 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I have a ridiculous shop with usually around 2 dozen, 6 of which are for the kids and grandkids when they are in town, 2 cyclocross one of which is at the cabin, 2 MTBs again one at the cabin, a grocery/hardware store getter with racks, and usually 8 to 10 in a daily road bike rotation and then embarrassingly several in various states of build, waiting parts or modifications, or sale.
Old 03-17-22, 10:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
4 road bikes - Newest one gets the most miles, 2nd one lives on my trainer, 3rd is a former race bike of mine that I was able to buy back from a friend, 4th belonged to my dad as was renovated by me recently.
1 MTB (old, hardtail, singlespeed)

I need more MTBs...and a gravel bike...
Old 03-17-22, 10:35 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Just a chubby old retired duffer that lives in Alaska in the summer and travels in a 5th wheel in the winter. Hybrid and endurance bike in Alaska. The endurance bike gets the nod more often than not. Also an aero road bike, but it turns out that if you are old and plump it is not much of a gain over the endurance bike. Also have an endurance bike in America as my sole bike. I do have an order in for a high end e road bike. Hopefully that will allow me to ride with 60 year olds. When the ebike arrives I will sell the endurance bike in America since I can only haul 2 bikes on the truck: mine and She Who Must Be Obeyed's bike.

Mike
Old 03-17-22, 12:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I had 7 at one point, 5 for me, 2 for my wife. We are down to 5, I got rid of 2 last year that I was not using as much, so they found a good home. I ride my Domane and Emonda the most, swap every other ride on them or based on what I am doing.
Ya don’t count your wife’s bikes. Those are her’s.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-17-22, 06:52 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Ya don’t count your wife’s bikes. Those are her’s.
Yea that is true.

Old 03-17-22, 07:33 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Gravel Bike: Lynskey GR300 My newest bike. Haven't used it in gravel. Great comfortable all-arounder. Still getting used to it and it's growing on me.
Touring Commuter: Lysnkey Backroad. Haven't used it on a tour yet. Have used it in gravel. lol Incredibly plush responsive ride. Two sets of wheels, one with road tires the other with gravel tires. If limited to just one bike, this would likely be it.
Mountain Bike: Lynskey MT-29 hardtail. My least used bike. I ride it out west on vacation once a year. The frame is surprisingly flexy. I suspect most would have issue with it, but for my style, it works out well.
Road Bike: Litespeed T6 (sorry Lynskey) Good balance of weight, responsiveness, comfort and speed.
Tandem: Burley Duet steel. Don't use it much. It's fun for short rides. The extra work I do is hard on my bum knees. The looks I get when I ride it alone or when I tow my dog in the kiddie trailer are worth the price I paid for it.
Old 03-18-22, 09:49 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
i’m trying to minimize number of bikes, for practical reasons of storage and maintenance. we live in a high rise, downtown (more or less) and don’t have a ton of space. the current fleet is:

a straight up road bike, skinny tires with tubes, carbon, light, no accessories whatsoever for the majority of my pleasure / fitness rides. 14lb.

an aluminum commmuter front hub city eBike with fenders and child seat for my 3 year old. gets ridden all over for errands, family outings, some commutes. 42lb.

a mid-drive carbon eBike that works well as both road bike and gravel bike. carbon rims with 32mm tubeless for long road rides, commutes, etc, and cheapie aluminum rims with 42mm knobby tires for gravel duty. 28lb.

i can’t really figure out how i could get it down to two bikes, although i feel like theoretically a steel or titanium old school frame retrofitted with a rear hub motor could be both a great gravel bike and take a child sets safely and robustly.
Old 03-18-22, 09:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
A road bike
A dedicated road bike for the trainer.
A mountain bike

I use them like anyone else. Balance on bike, feet on pedals and hands on bars and pedal away. Trick question?

Last edited by rsbob; 03-19-22 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-19-22, 01:59 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Two at my work apartment and one at home
Old 03-19-22, 05:21 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate8727
Anyone have multiple bikes for different uses?

I have just the hybrid for now, but that got me thinking about other possibilities... Trails, etc...

Interesting to see how different everyone can be.
I only ride road, so no MTBs. I have a good road bike and a couple of single-or three-speed commuters (my commute is ~2.5 mi, so it’s not too arduous). I thought about another road bike - something classic like a Colnago Master for my next big birthday, but what’s the point? Would it be as good as my current roadie (unlikely). I don’t need disks, although I might look at upgrading to ESP if Campag come up with something semi-wireless. Not only do I not need more bikes, but I could happily lose one of the commuters and be happy with two
Old 03-21-22, 01:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I sold one Dave Scott triathalon bike and gave away a vintage full Campy custom frame road bike so down to a CF road bike and a new Turbo Creo SL e-bike for road use. I use the 27 lb e-bike the most as it is safer on the busy roads where I ride as I can go faster longer when in hazardous sections.

I also have a full suspension and a hardtail mountain bikes that are used on the trails in my area. I can avoid motor vehicle traffic but not trail traffic with bikes, horses, and hikers sharing the same trails.

I put up a 8x10 foot shed to store 5 of the 7 bikes my wife and I use. It was a good investment that makes it much easier for me to retrieve a couple of bikes and load them on the platform bike rack on the car. It is very dangerous to ride around where I live and a neighbor was hit by a car 6 months ago and suffered a few broken ribs, so we pretty much have to load our bikes and drive to where it is safe to ride.
Old 03-22-22, 12:53 AM
swordfish2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts
I also own two bikes. One for the trails and mountain rides, and one gravel bike mostly for road rides. I am thinking of purchasing a 3rd one (Cruiser) for casual city rides.
Old 03-22-22, 04:43 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Road bike for nice paved routes. Cyclocross bike I use for gravel routes. Mountain bike for off-road trails. Hybrid bike for slower family rides. Dedicated road bike for indoor trainer.
Old 03-22-22, 06:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I have five bikes:
2 road bikes - one sits on the trainer all the time
1 track bike - I race it on the track regularly
1 gravel/cross bike - for when I don't feel like riding on the road
1 mtb - for mtb riding.

There's a new brewery only a few miles away. I'm thinking of adding an e-bike to the mix to go there and run other short errands.
Old 03-23-22, 03:58 PM
RobGood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In general you can get an very good all-around road bike, or a very good all-around mountain bike. To get a single bike for everything there will always be trade-offs in areas like weight, durability, etc.
Old 03-23-22, 04:15 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Road bike for nice paved routes. Cyclocross bike I use for gravel routes. Mountain bike for off-road trails. Hybrid bike for slower family rides. Dedicated road bike for indoor trainer.
A hardtail bike makes a good bike for trails and for city riding on poor pavement. I bought a road bike last year that uses 28mm tires and I was surprised at both how little change there was in rolling resistance compared to my 23mm tires and how much shock absorption the wider tires provided.
Old 03-24-22, 03:20 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
My power-assist bike is for taking my daughter to ballet. My folding bike is for taking on trains or flights to distant places, and my road bike is used for everything else.
Old 03-24-22, 08:32 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Fat bike for snow and fun.

Hard tail for summer off road and fun.

Ritchey solo breakaway for travel when Mrs Dan isn't planning on riding and for fun.

Ritchey tandem breakaway for touring and riding with Mrs Dan which always makes the ride more fun.

Lynskey R350 for road and group rides and riding around the country side and in town when there is no snow or ice and for fun.

Lynskey gravel conversion for solo touring and gravel road rides and for fun. Also for commuter if I ever need one.

Ritchey early 1980's rigid mtb on the trainer. Not sure why I have the trainer. The Ritchey used to be my commuter.

Peugeot because I have had it for 40 years and I have had a lot of fun riding that bike. Besides that, it has a Mavic Starfish crankset that makes me smile when I look at it. Also for rides that require a down tube shifter road bike from before 1987...

Possible addition: a full suspension bike if I move somewhere that has hills or mountains.
An Eroica tandem. Maybe.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 03-24-22 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-24-22, 11:17 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have four bikes. I don`t need four bikes, but they are like my children... I love them all.
Old 03-29-22, 10:52 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Current count is 10 plus wife's and kids' bikes.

Road bikes:
Steel bike with fenders x 1
Alu bike with fenders x 1
Alu summer bike x 1
Ti summer bike x 1
Carbon summer bike x 1

Others:
Steel road tandem x 1
Carbon TT bike x 1
Alu CX/gravel bike x 1
Alu dedicated turbo trainer bike x 1
Alu hardtail MTB x 1

They all get used reguarly except the steel bike (owned new since 1985 and just can't part with it) and the rarely-used MTB.
Old 03-30-22, 04:42 AM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth
This is a very good question! I don't like being overburdened with "stuff", so I don't like the "n+1" answer. I could also do with far fewer bikes than I have. It all depends on what you want to do and whether you want "do it all" tools or specific tools finely tuned for each task.

For me, I don't like mountain biking, but I commute, use a bike for utility, and ride on the road, so here is what I have/want:

1. Commuter/Dirt roads/Rail Trails: Surly Straggler
2. Nice day road bike: 1986 Miele Beta (project bike)
3. Randonneur/long distance/off-weather road bike: Do not have
4. Utility/Beater: 1997 GT Arette (project bike)
ah, the old adjustable wrench vs individual sized wrenches. don't get me started........
Likes For jdogg111:
Old 04-02-22, 07:50 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Oh dear. Now you made me count.

Road / CX use: True North CX (handmade steel)
3 season commuter : '88 Bianchi Strada
winter commuter: '93 Giant Innova built up as gravel bike, drop bars and cantis
Winter fun: Fatbike - Gravity Bullseye Monster
Summer fun: BMX Race bikes x3 - Haro Blackout (modern), FMF steel (mid-school) and Redline cruiser
BMX park bike for skills work
eBike project, potentially commuter
Felt B2 TT bike
Specialized P2 Dirt Jumper (no fork at the moment )

I'm the worst, but both kids and my wife all have multiple bikes too. Definitely no car in the garage.
Old 04-02-22, 12:04 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Drop bar, fat tire tourer/commuter.
Flat bar, fat tire tourer/commuter.
Drop bar, skinny tire fast road bike.
Flat bar, skinny tire fast road bike.
Hard tail MTB.
Vintage roady.
Road eBike

I have three frames currently hanging, one of which is another vintage roady waiting for parts. The other two are “one of these days” projects. I’m having so much fun on the eBike I’m considering buying a full-sus MTB version.

And then there are the wife’s bikes…
Old 04-02-22, 07:18 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Most people don't need multiple bikes, we have them because we like bikes! I have a bike I use for road bike for commuting, another road bike for my weekend long distance rides, and another road/gravel/touring bike for camping and touring. Those are the 3 I use most of the time, I have a few others but I never ride them for one reason or another.
Old 04-03-22, 07:21 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Defy Advanced 2 for dry weather. Contend AR1 for wet roads. Love em both

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.