Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bike shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 09:39 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have zero clue what the original post is about. Is the poster confused about appropriate tire pressure. Does he think tire pressure and bike cost are related, or does he think that the guy must be really fast because he uses a particular tire pressure? If the thread isn't about tire pressure, why is half the thread about tire pressure?

Is the poster unsure about what s/he is trying to say?

If the idea of the thread is that some bikes cost a lot .... um, wow, breakthrough realization. $14 K isn't really expensive for top-end machinery nowadays .... but so what?

Is the post about the OP judging some guy for buying what he wants? Is the OP jealous? Or just feeling superior for nor wanting some things and having different things?

Is there a point to any of this?

As far as I can tell, the "purpose" of the thread is to show us all that starry bra photo, which I did find amusing. Well played.
Not to mention that the headline is "bike shop."
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-13-22, 09:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jlat
I had to say something and that was "you must be the leader of the pack" he said "no just in the pack"
There's something to be said about humility and/or underselling and overdelivering. Most of the really fast guys that I've met are pretty chill. I think that, once you're fast enough to join the fast kids, it becomes readily apparent that, at any moment, you might cross paths with someone that could humble you.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-13-22, 09:44 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
If the $100 bike in 1972 is the $700 bike of today...What's the $100 dollar bike of today worth?
$100.

Waddimis?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-13-22, 09:53 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I don't think buying an expensive bike is just to keep up in speed. It's more than that. Snobbery in different forms is real among "wannabe elites". It's deeply ingrained in the human culture not just in cycling.
As is envy.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-13-22, 10:08 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
$100.

Waddimis?
Freewheels, lack luster braking. Tubing that may or may not be butted. Shifting that would be better served by friction for all the good flimsy indexing on barrel-bottom components provide. Low grade garden hose tires. Galvanized cables. Coiled brake housing. Stamped steel chainrings. Essentially unsealed cup/cone wheel bearings. Generally low quality manufacturing tolerances throughout.

Maybe weight may be a bit less today, & galvanized spokes are a rarity nowadays but 30 pounds is pretty common even on todays $700 bikes. But the bulk of even that is mostly due to aluminum wheels over any other single factor.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-13-22, 10:32 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Coiled brake housing.
What's bad about coiled brake cable housing? It's very strong, and quite flexible.

Old 07-13-22, 11:00 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by terrymorse
What's bad about coiled brake cable housing? It's very strong, and quite flexible.
On $700 bikes you'll find it. On $2000 bikes you'll find it. The same as on $100 bikes of yesteryear & $100 bikes of today.

On better bikes you'll find compression-less housing. The performance difference & feel is remarkable.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-13-22, 11:14 AM
smd4

On better bikes you'll find compression-less housing. The performance difference & feel is remarkable.
Absolutely.
Old 07-13-22, 01:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
On $700 bikes you'll find it. On $2000 bikes you'll find it. The same as on $100 bikes of yesteryear & $100 bikes of today.

Funny...I've never seen a bike come out of the box with compression-less housing. Not once.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-13-22, 06:54 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Funny...I've never seen a bike come out of the box with compression-less housing. Not once.
When I was building bikes at Bicycle Centres, I seem to remember the non hydraulic Specialized Diverges & some models of RockHopper's had Kevlar reinforced compressionless housing. It was the ones with dual piston mechanical disc brakes. IIRC a few Giant Revolts had them as well. Again, mechanical, dual piston disc...

Could've just been a case of the MFR just shipping what they had tho...Or only because that was what the caliper manufacturer required/recommended. But I know I built more than a few that came this way OEM straight outta the box.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-13-22, 07:09 PM
jlat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: My words were just a bike shop experience. It seems that way every time I go to one it is. Is that hard to understand?
IBBY
Old 07-13-22, 07:17 PM
smd4

You have an experience every time you go to a bike shop?
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-13-22, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
When you go to the bike shop people do have different bikes and you will see different bikes. That is pretty common it is a bike shop they sell and service bikes if you didn't see different bikes I would be rather surprised unless the store only sold and worked on one specific bike which is rather uncommon. Also yes those bikes, those different bikes will have different pressures. whodathunkit?

Not really sure the point of your posts but I guess we don't have enough folks here posting stuff similar to this all the time so it is really helpful to have this stuff. This forum would be like a bike forum where we actually have more meaningful bike related conversations or at least chain lube threads.
Old 07-13-22, 09:16 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
As is envy.
Envy is deeply ingrained in human society "I want to have the same things they have...." So you'll find every reason you can find why you "need" it so you can go off buying it with a clear conscience.

If no one envies, the vast majority of recreational cyclists would be riding slow. No one would break a sweat trying to go faster when they're perfectly content and happy puttering around slowly. They'd be perfectly happy with <$1000 bikes.

Even motorists will be slower and much less distracted because they won't be trying to measure up with everyone in how many people they talk to while driving. The whole world would be a much better, safer, friendlier place if nobody envies. But everyone does and denies it and don't believe they do so the problem never ends.
Old 07-14-22, 12:13 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If no one envies, the vast majority of recreational cyclists would be riding slow. No one would break a sweat trying to go faster when they're perfectly content and happy puttering around slowly. Even motorists will be slower
If you want to posit that envy is the principal inspiration for speed, I'll happily leave you out on that limb.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-14-22, 12:36 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I actually never wrecked a bicycle yet. But I knew some who scrapped their lightweight carbon bike or the frame due to cracks following a simple fall that would not have harmed a much cheaper metal bike.

It's typically the more expensive weight weenie variety that is more susceptible to major damage. Not a problem if you can have it insured.
What original thoughts! I've never heard that this new carbon fiber stuff is really fragile and lightweight bikes are a total waste of money. I hope it creates a never-done-before discussion
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-14-22, 12:37 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
The fast guys are also riding ~$14,000 bikes. Most of them don't post in forums but you see them in groups.

A relative of mine broke the bank to buy one such bike "to keep up bla bla bla" but his wife left him. I don't think buying an expensive bike is just to keep up in speed. It's more than that. Snobbery in different forms is real among "wannabe elites". It's deeply ingrained in the human culture not just in cycling.

Ofc, it's not an issue if you can easily afford the bike that you're buying.
Actually it's not an issue if the purchaser simply wants to buy it. Life's short, dont' waste your time or credibility by making these sort of silly judgements.
Old 07-14-22, 04:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
It seems that way every time I go to one it is.
Not to be mean or anything .... but what is this sentences Supposed to say .... because right now it is a nonsensical string of random clauses.

Is that hard to understand?
Most literally impossible to understand. But if you could explain it .......

What "seems"? What "way"? "Got to one" what? "It is" what?

I am not a grammar nazi but that is not a sentence .... or it is a mutant hybrid of three sentences, or something.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-14-22, 04:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I find a year or so break between visits here is salutary .... now I am just measuring time before the nonsense and lies kill my sense of humor and drive me away screaming .... or I get banned again.

Nice to see some of the the good ones are still active, though .... there is some knowledge and fair bit of twisted humor to be had here ... I thank certain posters for their input.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-14-22, 04:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Is this a sock? I smell a giant che.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-15-22, 07:37 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by Camilo
Actually it's not an issue if the purchaser simply wants to buy it. Life's short, dont' waste your time or credibility by making these sort of silly judgements.
I suppose, going back to the 1st post. If anyone wants to inflate more than 120 psi, they should start wearing ear protection.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-15-22, 08:10 AM
smd4

If anyone wants to inflate more than 120 psi, they should start wearing ear protection.
Scaredy-cat. You know not of which you speak.
Old 07-15-22, 09:06 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I suppose, going back to the 1st post. If anyone wants to inflate more than 120 psi, they should start wearing ear protection.
To say that a road tire will blow off a rim because it's inflated to 120psi or more is pretty funny. To say that someone needs hearing protection because of how loud that road tire would be if it blew off is ridiculous. Mtb tire maybe, road tire? Please.
Old 07-16-22, 06:31 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
To say that a road tire will blow off a rim because it's inflated to 120psi or more is pretty funny. To say that someone needs hearing protection because of how loud that road tire would be if it blew off is ridiculous. Mtb tire maybe, road tire? Please.
I have no idea how loud it would actually be, just working off 3rd hand information. Never seen bike tire explode yet. I've had pinch flat before, it wasn't a boom, more like a loud hiss.
Old 07-16-22, 06:45 AM
jlat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: That guy with that high-end bike was pretty cool as in talking he was there getting a new seat as the latest models of that bike had more padding. He is getting that latest seat for his S. I don't think he does much hands-on. I heard 90 lbs. is what road bikes use but I never gave one a squeeze. It's rock hard and the ride must not be nice but they must fly. I did ask if he wanted to get rid of his old seat but he said no.
IBBY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.