Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for a strong but affordable rim for dynamo wheel build

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-16-22, 06:29 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

I'd like to have a new wheel built up with a SON28 disc hub for my Trek 520.

Can someone recommend an affordable but strong rim to use?

Should be 36H, and I'll be using 6-bolt disc rotor. Would be nice if it were black and reasonably similar looking to the Affinity TLR rim on the existing wheels so it won't look too odd if I swap only the front wheel on.

Long term plan will be to also build up a second rear wheel so I can have one set with my hardcase tires for touring and the other set running more of a gravel bias.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-22, 11:32 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
You left out tire size, but we can assume it's medium width.
For 35/ 38 mm there is only ONE good choice. Velocity Dyad. It's all I have now on 3 IGH bikes. Eyelets are a STUPID abomination.
The first one I built in 2012 with a SA XL-FDD has 28,000+ miles on 3 bikes and 2 tours. I used 2.3/ 2.0 Wheelsmith spokes, still looks like new.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 07-16-22, 12:31 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Mavic 719, DT Swiss TK 540, and Dyad probably the 3 most respected heavy duty rims.
Toss in the Mavic 319 as possibly the best value
Old 07-16-22, 01:28 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I also have a 520 that we will be building soon. The Velocity Atlas was recommended to me. I really don't know the difference between the different rims. The plan was to build the wheels with Atlas rims and a Shimano dynamo in the front and IGH in the rear.

How does the atlas compare to the dyad?

I was also going to use the Velocity Blunt for a 26" build.
Old 07-16-22, 03:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I used Mavic A719 for a set of wheels over a decade ago, was quite happy with that. Rim brakes. I have run 32mm and 37mm tires on them. That rear wheel is still in use 18 years later. The front wheel is in storage, it would still be in use if I had bought a dynohub when I built that wheel.

And five years ago built up another touring bike, used Dyad for that. On this bike, the rear is disc and front is rim brake. Having the Dyads with machined braking surface rims, both front and rear, the rims match although the rear braking surface on the rim has never touched a brake pad. I use 37mm wide tires on this bike. On this bike I used 32 spoke front and 36 spoke rear. I had trouble finding the dynohub I wanted at that time in 36, and I decided that since a lot less weight is on the front wheel, I would settle for 32 up front, I do not regret that decision.

That said, I am convinced that I am never going to go tubeless. If you might want tubeless, other rims might be better. I suggest you decide before you buy rims if you will be staying with inner tubes or going tubeless. Then if you might go tubeless, specifically ask what rim to buy for that.
Old 07-16-22, 09:22 PM
Wiggle

Thanks everyone. I was looking at 700C x 38mm wide so at the upper end of what is suitable for the Dyads. No interest in tubeless.

Are they much better than the DT Swiss 540? I saw a good deal on those right now.
Old 07-16-22, 10:04 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
...Can someone recommend an affordable but strong rim to use?...

Would be nice if it were black and reasonably similar looking to the Affinity TLR rim on the existing wheels so it won't look too odd if I swap only the front wheel on...
usually get good results with sun cr18 or rhyno lite, or alex dh19.

i don't worry about the rims matching......as long as color is the same nobody will notice.

and do you have the disc-specific tlr with the huge "bontrager" logo on the sides?
Old 07-17-22, 06:22 AM
Wiggle

Originally Posted by saddlesores
and do you have the disc-specific tlr with the huge "bontrager" logo on the sides?
Indeed I do
Old 07-17-22, 07:45 AM
Wiggle

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
You left out tire size, but we can assume it's medium width.
For 35/ 38 mm there is only ONE good choice. Velocity Dyad. It's all I have now on 3 IGH bikes. Eyelets are a STUPID abomination.
The first one I built in 2012 with a SA XL-FDD has 28,000+ miles on 3 bikes and 2 tours. I used 2.3/ 2.0 Wheelsmith spokes, still looks like new.
Is 38mm a "reach" on those rims? I'm fine having that as an upper limit on these rims but should a hardcase 38mm be ok to mount?
Old 07-17-22, 07:52 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Is 38mm a "reach" on those rims? I'm fine having that as an upper limit on these rims but should a hardcase 38mm be ok to mount?
I’m running 42mm Soma Shikoros on Dyads with no issues.
Likes For But its me:
Old 07-17-22, 08:35 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Mavic 719, DT Swiss TK 540, and Dyad probably the 3 most respected heavy duty rims.
Toss in the Mavic 319 as possibly the best value
I have TK540’s on two bikes and they’re great rims but they’re rim brake, OP is looking for disc.
Old 07-17-22, 10:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Thanks everyone. I was looking at 700C x 38mm wide so at the upper end of what is suitable for the Dyads. No interest in tubeless.

Are they much better than the DT Swiss 540? I saw a good deal on those right now.
Let’s begin with the Dyads. No, their 18.6mm internal width isn’t at the upper end of being suitable for 38mm tires. I use 55mm mountain bike tires on 17mm internal width rims without issue. I use 38mm tires on 14mm wide Velocity Deep Vs without issues. The charts for “suitable” tires for a given rim width are extremely conservative…almost to the point of being useless. For your purposes, Velocity A23, Dyad, Deep V, or Fusion would all work for your tire size.

Second, everyone makes a big deal about “strength” in rims. A heavy rim isn’t a “strong” rim…it’s just heavy. The Dyad, for example, is a 535g rim. The A23 is a 450g rim. That’s an 85g difference. That’s 31ml or about 2 tablespoons of volume difference in the aluminum used. That volume is taken up in the size difference of the two rims with the Dyad being 1mm wider and 1.5mm taller. Since we are talking about aluminum, that’s not much of a strength gain. In other words, opting for a lighter rim won’t be a detriment.

Since this is a front rim, the issue of strength is mostly moot any way. Even with the disc rotor, the front wheel is stronger than the rear because it is more symmetrical. That said, it would be better to build the wheel with a triple butted spoke like an Alpine III or Sapim Force because the spoke is where the real strength of the wheel lies. You can make a really strong wheel with the lightest (and supposedly weaker) rim as long as you use really strong spokes. Personally, I would have no problem riding on a $30 Alex rim with Alpine III spokes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-17-22, 11:24 AM
robow

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I have TK540’s on two bikes and they’re great rims but they’re rim brake, OP is looking for disc.
I know the the TK540 is available in disc rim as well but maybe only 32 hole.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...BoCuk4QAvD_BwE

Last edited by robow; 07-17-22 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-17-22, 12:59 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I know the the TK540 is available in disc rim as well but maybe only 32 hole.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...BoCuk4QAvD_BwE
Good catch, I didn't realize they made a disc version
Old 07-17-22, 01:14 PM
robow

Btw, in most cases, you can always build a disc wheel using a rim brake rim as long as it has a correct number of spoke holes and you're not going to lace them in a radial fashion, though you might not care for the cosmetics.
Old 07-17-22, 01:30 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I'd like to have a new wheel built up with a SON28 disc hub for my Trek 520.

Can someone recommend an affordable but strong rim to use?

Should be 36H, and I'll be using 6-bolt disc rotor. Would be nice if it were black and reasonably similar looking to the Affinity TLR rim on the existing wheels so it won't look too odd if I swap only the front wheel on.

Long term plan will be to also build up a second rear wheel so I can have one set with my hardcase tires for touring and the other set running more of a gravel bias.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Why not use the stock 36h Affinity Rim? I am asking, because this was my plan for building a Dynamo Wheel.
Old 07-17-22, 01:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a rim brake rim cosmetics on a frame with a disc brake. But you would want front and rear to match.
Old 07-17-22, 04:35 PM
Wiggle

Originally Posted by M Rose
Why not use the stock 36h Affinity Rim? I am asking, because this was my plan for building a Dynamo Wheel.
Do you mean re-use the stock rim or a new build based off that same rim?

Nothing against it, I just figured I'd see what were the best options were.
Likes For Wiggle:
Old 07-17-22, 04:45 PM
Wiggle

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Let’s begin with the Dyads. No, their 18.6mm internal width isn’t at the upper end of being suitable for 38mm tires. I use 55mm mountain bike tires on 17mm internal width rims without issue. I use 38mm tires on 14mm wide Velocity Deep Vs without issues. The charts for “suitable” tires for a given rim width are extremely conservative…almost to the point of being useless. For your purposes, Velocity A23, Dyad, Deep V, or Fusion would all work for your tire size.

Second, everyone makes a big deal about “strength” in rims. A heavy rim isn’t a “strong” rim…it’s just heavy. The Dyad, for example, is a 535g rim. The A23 is a 450g rim. That’s an 85g difference. That’s 31ml or about 2 tablespoons of volume difference in the aluminum used. That volume is taken up in the size difference of the two rims with the Dyad being 1mm wider and 1.5mm taller. Since we are talking about aluminum, that’s not much of a strength gain. In other words, opting for a lighter rim won’t be a detriment.

Since this is a front rim, the issue of strength is mostly moot any way. Even with the disc rotor, the front wheel is stronger than the rear because it is more symmetrical. That said, it would be better to build the wheel with a triple butted spoke like an Alpine III or Sapim Force because the spoke is where the real strength of the wheel lies. You can make a really strong wheel with the lightest (and supposedly weaker) rim as long as you use really strong spokes. Personally, I would have no problem riding on a $30 Alex rim with Alpine III spokes.
Thanks for all this info. I'm leaning towards the Dyad, I see several versions. Is it correct to assume "non-machined" means there is no rim brake surface ?
Old 07-17-22, 09:25 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Velocity rims don't have eyelets so it's an automatic elimination for me. Go to google and find countless reports of Velocity rims cracking around the spoke holes. Is it possible for a rim without eyelets to be strong? Maybe. Are all these crack reports entirely due to builder error and have nothing to do with the poor design of the rim? Sure, if you insist. But why would I spend my money on an inferior product when better choices are everywhere?

I used Mavic A319s on my last build.

Last edited by Yan; 07-17-22 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 09:27 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I’ve been running 36 spoke Velocity Dyads on my bikes for a quite a while now, currently with Son dynamo and IGH hub, both disk braked with zero issues (touch wood).
Never used a narrower tyre than 2.00 and up to 2.35’ x700c and even used “ghetto-tubeless” for a couple of years though not currently.
Been happy enough with them and see no current reason to change them, having had a trouble free run with them.

I think you could easily find lots of examples of trouble with a specific rim (including your Mavics) without too much difficulty online, so I’m not convinced by your suggestion you run a superior rim by any means, but I’m glad your happy with your choice and can understand your reasoning despite coming to an alternative conclusion

Last edited by rifraf; 07-17-22 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 09:40 PM
rifraf

Originally Posted by Yan
Velocity rims don't have eyelets so it's an automatic elimination for me. Go to google and find countless reports of Velocity rims cracking around the spoke holes. Is it possible for a rim without eyelets to be strong? Maybe. Are all these crack reports entirely due to builder error and have nothing to do with the poor design of the rim? Sure, if you insist. But why would I spend my money on an inferior product when better choices are everywhere?

I used Mavic A319s on my last build.
I heard a lot about issues around 10 or 12 years ago when I got paranoid about my choice, from well intentioned members of a local cycling forum.
The more I read and researched about the problems the single correlation that stood out to me was people running high pressure (greater than 50psi) in high volume (2.00 x 700c plus) in what appeared to be (at the time) vast majority of cases I read about, and with another correlation being that at the time Velocity rims were manufactured in Australia.
I believe this is no longer the case and I’ve tended to run my 2’+ tyres no higher than 40psi and usually @35psi for tarmac duty.

https://www.velocityusa.com/about/about-us

Last edited by rifraf; 07-17-22 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 09:42 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Do you mean re-use the stock rim or a new build based off that same rim?

Nothing against it, I just figured I'd see what were the best options were.
build off of the same wheel (new)
Old 07-17-22, 10:06 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
All mine are black with machined sides, that helps a LOT for nighttime visibility. I still have one caliper brake on my old CCM now with 584 mm rims and 38/ 37 mm wide. They ride nice with 6 lbs less pressure. My Rohloff had a crap rim brake also for 13,500 miles, till I made a disc mount.
Alex eyelet rims are so cheaply crappy, that Aaron in Seattle refuses to deal with them. He has a lifetime warranty for wheels he does build with rims he sells.
LBS guys keep repeating the LIE about more material on Dyads not being better. LOL. What a farce. That extra weight is around the spoke holes. Plus the pointier profile is FAR superior for strength and rigidity. Eyelets need a hole 40% bigger. LOL. 90% of the busted rims on BF have eyelets. Everybody keeps claiming it's because of wrong tension. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-17-22 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 10:10 PM
rifraf

Originally Posted by cyccommute

I’d strongly agree that spoke choice is important if your aiming for longevity in your wheels.
Some people expressed strong opinions (many negative) at the time of my rims and spoke choice (Cx-Ray), but the proof for me has been over a decade of heavy luggage touring (4 pannier, bar and rack bag and usually trailer) usage with no breakages and the rims remaining true.
They do get a annual service (tension check) but I’ve suffered no spoke breakage to date and still retain all my spares.
Likes For rifraf:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.