Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What uses more energy, climb up a hill fast or climb slow??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What uses more energy, climb up a hill fast or climb slow??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 08:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
If a force (including a conservative force like gravity) produces a power requirement that is linear in rider speed, the work requirement will be independent of speed. Otherwise, it won’t.

A salient example these days is car miles per gallon as a function of speed. The air drag on a car also is basically a cubic function of speed and the energy requirement per mile (gallons per mile) is a second order (squared) function of speed. So fuel consumption per mile at 70 mph is about 36% higher than at 60 mph.

Otto
Conservative forces? Linear? Stop with the sexy talk ...

(Aerodynamic drag is a quadratic function of speed.)

Last edited by tomato coupe; 07-21-22 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-21-22, 09:00 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Conservative forces? Linear? Stop with the sexy talk ...

(Aerodynamic drag is a quadratic function of speed.)
Might as well. The OP put his hands over his ears at the outset regarding the only relevant factors, i.e. the ones that create a power requirement that is nonlinear in speed.

Otto
Old 07-21-22, 11:11 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
The air drag on a car also is basically a cubic function of speed and the energy requirement per mile (gallons per mile) is a second order (squared) function of speed. So fuel consumption per mile at 70 mph is about 36% higher than at 60 mph.
I believe that should read “air drag (force) is a function of the air speed squared”.

Power to overcome air drag is f(v^3)

Old 07-22-22, 04:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Have you considered the possibility that you don't know what a person who weighs 125 pounds needs for food and drink for a very long ride?

You're very fond of telling people lots of should or shouldn't stuff.
I never told OP what he should or shouldn't eat....He claims to be a very experienced cyclist who can ride for 7 hours non-stop with an almost elite level performance on a heavy bike, he should know how to fuel his rides.
Old 07-22-22, 05:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Fueling for outdoor rides shouldn't be an issue, it's easy to bring adequate amount of food and drink to fuel a ride.
I never told OP what he should or shouldn't eat....He claims to be a very experienced cyclist who can ride for 7 hours non-stop with an almost elite level performance on a heavy bike, he should know how to fuel his rides.

​​​​​​I didn't say you told op what to eat. You said op's fuel shouldn't be an issue. I would say you don't have any experience that would allow you to say that you have any idea what the fuel needs of a 125 pound high-performance endurance cyclist is, and whether it's practical to carry that amount of fuel over long distances.
And the irony of you posting yet another "should" post as a "refutation" of my telling you to stop telling people they should do x when you really know nothing about the issue is hilarious. Your own goal is noted.
Old 07-22-22, 05:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

​​​​​​I didn't say you told op what to eat. You said op's fuel shouldn't be an issue. I would say you don't have any experience that would allow you to say that you have any idea what the fuel needs of a 125 pound high-performance endurance cyclist is, and whether it's practical to carry that amount of fuel over long distances.
And the irony of you posting yet another "should" post as a "refutation" of my telling you to stop telling people they should do x when you really know nothing about the issue is hilarious. Your own goal is noted.
He is not a high-performance endurance pro cyclist....Let me repeat this one last time: It's easy to carry enough fuel to sustain a ride which lasts for a couple of hours, another option is to stop along the way and buy something to eat.
Old 07-22-22, 06:17 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
you have any idea what the fuel needs of a 125 pound high-performance endurance cyclist is,
I wouldn't call myself a high performance endurance cyclist. My average moving speed is only "average" for a recreational rider.

I'll wait for outdoor conditions to improve to test what I've learned from this thread (work harder on the climbs, take it easy on the flats. During windy months, the smog disappears and humidity gets significantly below 100% in the mountains to make climbs a lot more tolerable so I can attempt climbing at indoor training pace. Until then, I'll just keep training indoors.

I have read about animals. The smaller ones have to eat more food in terms of % of their body weight than bigger animals. This is applicable to mammals and birds. They have to eat even more in colder climates (smaller creatures are less efficient at retaining body heat)

Last edited by koala logs; 07-22-22 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-22-22, 06:22 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I believe that should read “air drag (force) is a function of the air speed squared”.

Power to overcome air drag is f(v^3)
Sure, I got a little sloppy there amidst a bunch of follow up posts. Better covered in post #73.

Otto
Old 07-22-22, 06:45 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
...Let me repeat this one last time: It's easy to carry enough fuel to sustain a ride which lasts for a couple of hours, another option is to stop along the way and buy something to eat.
I only take stuff from the fridge. That's peanut butter wheat bread for me. Very easy to digest and I really love the taste but perhaps, not the best fuel to bring? I avoid buying anything outside to eat nor spend extra money on cycling or running -specific fuel. I would have if spending money was easy.

I barely have money to spend on the hobby atm and probably for a long time due to embarrassing work and financial mistakes lately. I should have been taking vitamin B12 much earlier for extra brian cells and avoid doing stupid things.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-22-22 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-22-22, 07:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

He is not a high-performance endurance pro cyclist....Let me repeat this one last time: It's easy to carry enough fuel to sustain a ride which lasts for a couple of hours, another option is to stop along the way and buy something to eat.

Where'd I say "pro"? I took the premise of your answer seriously, and no if OP is actually riding fast for 7 hours on a heavy bike, it does not follow that keeping enough fuel on board is a simple matter for a 125 pound person.
Old 07-22-22, 07:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by koala logs
I wouldn't call myself a high performance endurance cyclist. My average moving speed is only "average" for a recreational rider.
I really wasn't alleging you were, my point was that Wolfie's "if/then" statement didn't actually make sense.
Old 07-22-22, 07:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

It's easy to carry enough fuel to sustain a ride which lasts for a couple of hours
For a couple of hours?

Heck, you don’t need to take in any nutrition for just a 2-hour ride.

The human body stores at least 6 grams of glycogen per kilogram. There’s no way that will run out in a 2-hour ride.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-22-22, 07:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Let me repeat this one last time: It's easy to carry enough fuel to sustain a ride which lasts for a couple of hours, another option is to stop along the way and buy something to eat.
Missed the part where OP said "good up to 7 hours" I see.

As to the stop and buy something... thanks Corporal Obvious (you've been demoted).
Old 07-22-22, 07:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

For a couple of hours?

The human body stores at least 6 grams of glycogen per kilogram. There’s no way that will run out in a 2-hour ride.
I agree with you....I regularly do fasted rides between 2 - 3 hours long. but I also keep the intensity lower. No intervals when fasted. Any well trained cyclists who doesn't have health issues should be able to ride fasted about 3 hours.
Old 07-22-22, 07:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

For a couple of hours?

Let's allow for people with "abnormal" metabolic issues, but OP made very clear they weren't talking about anything less than 7 hours.
Old 07-22-22, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I agree with you....I regularly do fasted rides between 2 - 3 hours long. but I also keep the intensity lower. No intervals when fasted. Any well trained cyclists who doesn't have health issues should be able to ride fasted about 3 hours.

To the extent this question was raised at all in this thread, it was about >7 hrs. Again, you have no insight as to what a 125 pound person "should" be able to carry that would prepare them for such a non-stop ride.
Old 07-22-22, 08:11 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Let's allow for people with "abnormal" metabolic issues, but OP made very clear they weren't talking about anything less than 7 hours.
Okay, say it’s longer than 2 hours. About 30 grams of carbs per hour ought to be enough for a 125-lb rider. That’s slightly more than one Clif Shot. Pretty easy to carry.

The Everest Challenge had awful tasting nutrition, so on the second day, I put 5 Clif Shots in my pocket, consuming one per hour. That, plus the sport drink from the feed station, was plenty nutrition. I weighed 135 lbs.

Old 07-22-22, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Okay, say it’s longer than 2 hours. About 30 grams of carbs per hour ought to be enough for a 125-lb rider. That’s slightly more than one Clif Shot. Pretty easy to carry.

The Everest Challenge had awful tasting nutrition, so on the second day, I put 5 Clif Shots in my pocket, consuming one per hour. That, plus the sport drink from the feed station, was plenty nutrition. I weighed 135 lbs.

Don't know, don't care what a Clif shot or an Everest Challenge is--I just eat food on my rides and I've long been over the notion that anything over a few hours need be non-stop. I'm just saying that the nutrition needs for a 7+ hour ride is not at all the same question as a 2 hour ride or anything in the neighborhood of a 2 hour ride. And I think people range pretty far in their metabolic variables so that to discuss what's typical ("ought to") for any given person for a 7 hour ride is a fool's errand.
Old 07-22-22, 09:16 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Again, you have no insight as to what a 125 pound person "should" be able to carry that would prepare them for such a non-stop ride.
Not clear to me who "you" is (the "singular" or the "everybody" you), but out there in the Sports Nutrition world, there is some pretty good insight on the carbohydrate needs for a multi-hour effort.

This formula[1] should cover most people in most situations, including races:

Carbs consumed (g/hr) = Body weight (lbs) / 3

Pretty simple.

--
1. Infinit Nutrition, Nutrition for Endurance Athletes 101

Old 07-22-22, 09:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
For a couple of hours?

I mostly agree. If doing a Z2 ride, the burn rate isn't there to justify the intake. I use those electrolyte tabs with zero nutrition otherwise for rides like that. Even an interval ride of under an hour isn't needed. I'll do it though so you get that placebo sugar in mouth taste effect where you taste it so your body reacts.

Now, if someone is going to ride sweetspot for a few hours nonstop and they've got a solid w/kg figure for that........they might very well need it. Because then you're operating at a high % of ftp burning glycogen AND you don't weigh a lot so the "per kilo" is less. But how many people can ride true sweetspot for hours at a time? They can, but it's not that many I would think. So largely, still not usually needed.

For a 4 hour ride though, you start getting into routine daily meal/snack schedules. Not ride nutrition, just "life". So can see some snacking taking place for the discomfort of standard hunger pains to avoid carrying a whole sandwich meal with you.
Old 07-22-22, 09:28 AM
wolfchild
Banned

you have no insight as to what a 125 pound person "should" be able to carry that would prepare them for such a non-stop ride.
You making this way more complicated than what it really is.
Old 07-22-22, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Not clear to me who "you" is (the "singular" or the "everybody" you), but out there in the Sports Nutrition world, there is some pretty good insight on the carbohydrate needs for a multi-hour effort.

This formula[1] should cover most people in most situations, including races:

Carbs consumed (g/hr) = Body weight (lbs) / 3

Pretty simple.

--
1. Infinit Nutrition, Nutrition for Endurance Athletes 101
I was referring to Wolfie, but covering "most people in most situations" leaves a lot of weasel room--if you're accustomed to probability statements, that could easily mean that if the probability of fitting any given person is 51% and any situation is 51%, then the proportion of people who that formula would actually apply to in any given activity is 51% x 51%, or approximately 26%.

I think if someone is saying they're finding something problematic, telling them they "shouldn't" find it problematic or they "ought to be" ok is pretty lame.

BTW, there's really no danger that I'm going to confuse you with Wolfie. I'd take what you're saying here a little more seriously because you're not a relatively big guy like he and I are.

Gotta say, using a web page of a company that sells supplements as an authoritative source is a bold move on your part. You realize those are just disguised sales pitches, right?
Old 07-22-22, 09:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You making this way more complicated than what it really is.

I'll simplify it for you--7 hours is 5 hours longer than 2.
Old 07-22-22, 09:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by koala logs
I only take stuff from the fridge. That's peanut butter wheat bread for me. Very easy to digest and I really love the taste but perhaps, not the best fuel to bring? I avoid buying anything outside to eat nor spend extra money on cycling or running -specific fuel. I would have if spending money was easy.

I barely have money to spend on the hobby atm and probably for a long time due to embarrassing work and financial mistakes lately. I should have been taking vitamin B12 much earlier for extra brian cells and avoid doing stupid things.
Ok, so money is an issue for you and yet you carbo-load and stuff yourself with unnecessary calories wasting food and not improving anything ??...You're not an elite level endurance athlete and there is no need for you to carbo-load...Instead of carbo-loading , try to split all those carbs into smaller portions and bring them along with you on your ride to eat along the way. For a skinny lightweight like yourself it's way better and more efficient to eat smaller portions more frequently than carbo-loading and stuffing yourself with unnecessary calories...If money is an issue, there are plenty of cheap carbs out there which are suitable for fueling yourself on a ride.
Old 07-22-22, 09:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I'm just saying that the nutrition needs for a 7+ hour ride is not at all the same question as a 2 hour ride or anything in the neighborhood of a 2 hour ride. And I think people range pretty far in their metabolic variables so that to discuss what's typical ("ought to") for any given person for a 7 hour ride is a fool's errand.
While ​​​​​livedarklions may think recommendations for nutrition on long rides is a "fool's errand", much research has been done on the subject.

2 hours or 7+ hours, the duration of a multi-hour doesn't affect how much nutrition a person is able to consume per hour.

And when it comes to how much carbohydrate a person is able to metabolize in an hour, people are rather similar.

The upper limit of carbohydrate digestion is reported to be 60 g/h, although rates of 90 g/h are possible when using a cocktail of different types of carbs.

Carbohydrate intake guidelines for well trained athletes (aspiring athletes may need to adjust the recommendations downwards).
Source: Jeudendrup, A., A Step Towards Personalized Sports Nutrition: Carbohydrate Intake During Exercise, Sports Med. 2014

NOTE: These recommendations are the same for all ranges of body weight. From Jeudendrup 2014:

As exogenous carbohydrate is independent of BW (body weight) or muscle mass, but dependent on absorption and to some degree the absolute exercise intensity (at very low absolute intensities, low carbohydrate rates may also restrict exogenous carbohydrate oxidation), the advice given to athletes should be in absolute amounts. These results clearly show that there is no rationale for expressing carbohydrate recommendations for athletes per kilogram of BW

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-22-22 at 10:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.