Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Sport - what have I got?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-08-19, 04:43 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 105 Posts

I committed to this for $40. What have I got? Decent for an around town cruiser, grocery getter?

Old 06-08-19, 05:42 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Wow -- I was just about to sigh petulantly that it's "Sports," not "Sport," but in this case it really is a "Sport"!

That looks very much like the model in the 1986 Raleigh [Cycle Company of America] catalog. At that point, I think they were being made in Japan. The frame, with that "RALEIGH" stamp on the seatstay, doesn't look like it came out of the Nottingham factory, and the Shimano 333 hub is not as good as a Sturmey Archer, but the fenders look pretty legit. Anyway, the quality might be a little bit lower than you'd get on a classic English Raleigh, but on the whole I can't see how there'd be anything wrong with it from a functional point of view (as long as the Shimano 3-speed is working OK). The Sport(s) was one of the best city bikes ever made. Use it for all your local transportation. Have fun!

Last edited by brianinc-ville; 06-08-19 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For brianinc-ville:
Old 06-08-19, 05:56 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Wow -- I was just about to sigh petulantly that it's "Sports," not "Sport," but in this case it really is a "Sport"!

That looks very much like the model in the 1986 Raleigh [Cycle Company of America] catalog. At that point, I think they were being made in Japan. The frame, with that "RALEIGH" stamp on the seatstay, doesn't look like it came out of the Nottingham factory, and the Shimano 333 hub is not as good as a Sturmey Archer, but the fenders look pretty legit. Anyway, the quality might be a little bit lower than you'd get on a classic English Raleigh, but on the whole I can't see how there'd be anything wrong with it from a functional point of view (as long as the Shimano 3-speed is working OK). The Sport(s) was one of the best city bikes ever made. Use it for all your local transportation. Have fun!
Thanks! That link to the 1986 catalog looks exactly like it. I had searched and couldn't find any "Sport" (not Sports) model. Also was confused by the rectangular rear reflector and a few other issues. I'm picking it up tomorrow and will post some pics when I get it home. I plan to take the silver rear rack off my Jamis road bike and put it on this Raleigh. I'll keep the Jamis for my fast bike, and use this one for my utility bike. Thanks everyone for all the help starting my "collection".
Old 06-08-19, 06:36 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Looks to be in very good condition. Should be a sticker somewhere stating the country of manufacture. The only issue I see is that this is a short frame and it looks like a taller person was riding it and they raised the stem too high. I'm only familiar with the English Raleighs, but I'll bet this stem is higher than the safe limit. The shifter cable seems to have run out of slack with the stem adjustment. You want to make sure the stem expander is below the threaded section of the fork tube.
Old 06-08-19, 06:49 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by BigChief
Looks to be in very good condition. Should be a sticker somewhere stating the country of manufacture. The only issue I see is that this is a short frame and it looks like a taller person was riding it and they raised the stem too high. I'm only familiar with the English Raleighs, but I'll bet this stem is higher than the safe limit. The shifter cable seems to have run out of slack with the stem adjustment. You want to make sure the stem expander is below the threaded section of the fork tube.
Thanks! I noticed the stem was quite high. The seller told me it's a men's size large. I pick it up tomorrow, so I'll find out then.
Old 06-08-19, 06:54 PM
Rexnuktia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I committed to this for $40. What have I got? Decent for an around town cruiser, grocery getter?
Yup, nice bike for all that !
Likes For Rexnuktia:
Old 06-08-19, 06:56 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
I had that exact one. Mine had a sturmey archer hub dated 1988 model made in taiwan sticker if i remember correctly.
Likes For jamesj:
Old 06-08-19, 07:16 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
The seller told me it's a men's size large. I pick it up tomorrow, so I'll find out then.
That's not a large. Probably a 21" frame, which might have been the largest built that year but 23" was the largest commonly found Sports.

Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-08-19, 08:21 PM
riverdrifter

Two more photos from the seller.
Old 06-08-19, 09:22 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Hmm, from the looks of that trigger and what looks like a bell crank on the rear hub, I’d guess it’s a Shimano unit rather than Sturmey-Archer. The British-made Sports shed a small tear.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-09-19, 06:37 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
If you do end up buying this one and it does turn out to be too short to fit you, there is a fix. You replace the stem with a longer one that can be tightened in a safe position in the fork tube while still raising the bars to a comfortable position. I did this to a 21" Rudge of mine and it is one of my favorite riders. It looks like the brake cables are long enough to get by, but the shifter cable is too short for the bars the way they are set now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTRA-LONG-...MAAOSwikBcSKLL
Old 06-10-19, 07:39 AM
riverdrifter

Okay, I got the bike home last night. It's in really great condition, and I believe it's a 21" frame. The only issue I see is the thumb shifter seems to either be broken or missing a piece where the cable enters. It shifts fine, but the cable can slip out of the shifter easily.