Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link D8 - it’s not got the range!

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-27-19, 05:29 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts

Our Tern Link D8 isn’t quite cutting it on the hills around here. I’m considering replacing the 52t chainset with something a bit smaller which will involve new cranks, but if I’m going down that route I could just install a double chainset for similar money and improve the gear range. However, I’ll need to grab a front derailleur and shifter (not expensive) and order a LitePro braze-on adaptor. The unknown here is does the Neos rear derailleur have the capacity to handle working with a smaller inner front ring? If not, then I need to source a cheap Shimano road rear derailleur and the Tern adaptor for a gear hanger. Various blogs out there indicate that it’s doable and it’s well within my skill set.

The other option is installing a Sturmey Archer dual drive hub, but I’m not sure firstly if there’s enough width between the rear dropouts? Has anyone tried this before on a nominally 130mm wide folder? Cost wise I reckon it’ll be about the same for parts as messing around with new front and rear derailleur plus extra labour costs for rebuilding a wheel (unless I give that a go).

Any recommendations out there around either route? Any pros and cons to consider before I pull the trigger on buying parts?
Old 10-27-19, 06:26 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Reddleman
Our Tern Link D8 isn’t quite cutting it on the hills around here. I’m considering replacing the 52t chainset with something a bit smaller which will involve new cranks, but if I’m going down that route I could just install a double chainset for similar money and improve the gear range. However, I’ll need to grab a front derailleur and shifter (not expensive) and order a LitePro braze-on adaptor. The unknown here is does the Neos rear derailleur have the capacity to handle working with a smaller inner front ring? If not, then I need to source a cheap Shimano road rear derailleur and the Tern adaptor for a gear hanger. Various blogs out there indicate that it’s doable and it’s well within my skill set.

The other option is installing a Sturmey Archer dual drive hub, but I’m not sure firstly if there’s enough width between the rear dropouts? Has anyone tried this before on a nominally 130mm wide folder? Cost wise I reckon it’ll be about the same for parts as messing around with new front and rear derailleur plus extra labour costs for rebuilding a wheel (unless I give that a go).

Any recommendations out there around either route? Any pros and cons to consider before I pull the trigger on buying parts?

i would choose go on dual chainring route.
Old 10-27-19, 10:39 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 185 Posts
I've never liked the proprietary Neos RD. I also don't know if an internally geared hub would work as well for you: perhaps lower gearing, but at the expense of increased weight and less efficiency in an IGH. I'd stay with a traditional drivetrain if at all possible.

I'm in favor of installing the Tern hanger adapter and then replacing the Neos RD with whatever RD and cluster you want, and seeing if you can get the gearing you want that way.

If that doesn't work, is the chainring replaceable or is it integrated into the spider? A slightly smaller chainring would get you closer to where you need to be without changing things too drastically in relation to the Neos. A more drastic chainring reduction would probably not make the Neos happy.
Old 10-27-19, 10:56 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Dual drive uses 135mm dropout. I don't think it's possible to reduce the width. I think I read somewhere that the axle threads are 10.5mm diameter, so you probably won't be able to find thinner nuts or cones.

Doesn't look like Tern uses normal hangers?
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/gear...illeur-adapter

Dahon uses somewhat 'standard' hangers that can be bought cheaply with the Marwi Union brand for $3-5.
MARWI | Gear hangers - Dahon

Some people on the forum use 11-36T 10 speed cassette with the Shimano Zee RD and a single chainring. That would give you 327% range.

On my Dahon Vigor, I use 12-34T 10 speed cassette (custom mixed cogs myself) with 24/44T double chainring for 519% range. The RD is Shimano 4700 GS which has the widest chain wrap capacity of all the Shimano GS road RDs.

Front derailleur used to be the 4700 FD, but it broke down and I recently replaced with with a SRAM Rival YAW FD, which works much better, but still needs some bending of the outer cage to get it a little bit wider, depending on how you're setting this all up. I simply used my old Shimano FD shifter, because the way I set it up, I didn't need trim position, so I simply needed a trigger with 2 positions. The 4700 trigger uses a long pull, so I had a lot of cable slack to work with. There was another thread somewhere discussing this.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...eat-tubes.html

You'll find photos in the thread above of how I setup my FD adapter. I used the LitePro P clamp (41mm diameter) but attached my own 3D printed steel adapter because the adapter that came with the LitePro P was too far rearward and angled a bit too far backward for me.
Old 10-28-19, 02:05 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Annoyingly, the chainring is fixed to the crankset so I can’t simply swap it out for something smaller than what looks like a 52t ring. If I go to the trouble and expense of a new single chainset and cranks to say install a 46t or lower ring, I feel that I might as well go the whole hog and install a double chainset instead - as long as I can get the FD to behave on a LitePro adaptor.

As for the rear, getting hold of the Tern adaptor for non-Neos derailleurs seems to be as costly as a Shimano Claris or Sora RD. I’m not bothered with any more than an 8-speed rear as the range will be about the same (the current block is 12-32) just with closer gaps. If a Neos RD can handle the complication of the extra slack created by the inner chainring, that’ll be great as that’s one less complication/cost to manage.
Old 10-28-19, 04:19 PM
tomtomtom123

I don't think the Neos derailleur will give you anymore chain wrap capacity. But you can give it a test to measure the capacity. If the chain is removable, take it off, then grab a new chain and wrap it through the cassette/chainring/RD. Shift to the largest cog. Pull the chain as short as it will go just before the RD cage is fully extended/rotated, and use a little hook to hold the chain in place. Count or mark the length. Shift to the smallest cog. Release more chain length until the jockey/pulley wheels run out of capacity. Count the new chain length. The difference will be the chain wrap capacity of the RD.

If you have a 12-32 cassette and a double chainring with a 16T jump, then you need an RD with a capacity of (32-12) + 16 = 36 links. However, if you lengthen the chain a little bit and allow the cage to drag on the small small combination, you might be able to get away with a capacity of 33-34 links.

My 12-34T cassette and 24/44T chainrings has a capacity of 42. The 4700-GS has a capacity of 41, but in reality from what I remember, I think I was able to fit all 42 teeth into it, but I could be remembering wrong. Originally I had a 26/46T double. When I switched to 24/44T, I kept the same chain length in case I decide to switch back to the larger chainrings in the future, so the 2 smallest small-small combo will drag on the cage, which is fine since I don't need to use those gears.
Old 10-28-19, 07:21 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
I don't think the Neos derailleur will give you anymore chain wrap capacity. But you can give it a test to measure the capacity. If the chain is removable, take it off, then grab a new chain and wrap it through the cassette/chainring/RD. Shift to the largest cog. Pull the chain as short as it will go just before the RD cage is fully extended/rotated, and use a little hook to hold the chain in place. Count or mark the length. Shift to the smallest cog. Release more chain length until the jockey/pulley wheels run out of capacity. Count the new chain length. The difference will be the chain wrap capacity of the RD.

If you have a 12-32 cassette and a double chainring with a 16T jump, then you need an RD with a capacity of (32-12) + 16 = 36 links. However, if you lengthen the chain a little bit and allow the cage to drag on the small small combination, you might be able to get away with a capacity of 33-34 links.

My 12-34T cassette and 24/44T chainrings has a capacity of 42. The 4700-GS has a capacity of 41, but in reality from what I remember, I think I was able to fit all 42 teeth into it, but I could be remembering wrong. Originally I had a 26/46T double. When I switched to 24/44T, I kept the same chain length in case I decide to switch back to the larger chainrings in the future, so the 2 smallest small-small combo will drag on the cage, which is fine since I don't need to use those gears.

christ! why on earth you need 34/24 gear combination on a folder?
Old 10-28-19, 07:58 PM
tomtomtom123

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
christ! why on earth you need 34/24 gear combination on a folder?
So that I can get a very low gear.
Old 12-01-19, 10:17 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

I’ve had a bit of a browse about and found the Microshift Advent 1x9 speed system which appears cheap, simple and able to give me a reasonable range with a 11-42 cassette and a medium cage RD.

I know it’ll be closer to the ground than the Neos RD but still smaller than the usual long cage RDs that aren’t appropriate for 20” wheeled folders. Annoyingly I can’t find the centre to centre measurement for them anywhere to check for certain if it’ll work, so I wondered if anyone could have a look at this RD and see if it’ll do the job?
Old 12-02-19, 04:42 AM
tomtomtom123

I doubt that anyone on this forum would know. You could email the manufacture to ask for the cage length.

With 11-42t you still only get 382% range. A double chainring could get you over 500% depending on how you set it up.

For example 52/34 and 11-34 gives you 472% if you're willing to setup an 18t double jump. Or 487% if you use a 33t inner chainring 110bcd. 130bcd minimum is 38t. 74bcd minimum is 24t.
Old 02-24-20, 05:29 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

As an update for anyone else considering changing gearing, I’ve swapped the original 52t chainset for a 44t set. So far so good as it’s handling climbing the local hills comfortably on the standard 12-32t cassette, but I haven’t yet tried it with anything more loaded than a rack top bag on the rear.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 02-26-20, 10:36 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Look at recumbent trike gear set ups. Same range of wheels and weights if you are toting stuff
With mine I can climb phone poles, and work out on parking lot ramps if I need to test a set up.
But then I can come to a complete stop and sit if I need a break.
The long cage derailiers do hang low, and three wheels make tracking through the rough stuff a challenge
but I haven't had any problems. The vulnerability in folding is an issue , but a RD hanger straightness check to me is part of regular maint.
The Dual speed and Sturmey archer set ups are easy, not too pricey at ~$170 and less a mess than a FD setup (? what ~$60 total?), though gear progression and overlapping ratios are an issue.
The convenience over greasy finger / heel shifting vs FD is personal, but at 1090gm the multi speed hub competes with the extra chainwheel/FD.
All of them add complexity and fiddle. I find the IGH take less setup time and are more foldable, but YMMV.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 02-26-20 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 03-04-21, 03:04 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Well, following some trips away from home with the Tern Link D8 and an older Dahon Speed TR, it became apparent that the range on the Tern wasn’t cutting it for my partner, who wasn’t enamoured with the fit, weight or the appearance of the Dahon.

I toyed with retrofitting a dual drive, but the additional cost of wheel building combined with the weight wasn’t really selling it to me. As much as I enjoy the range of gears on the Dahon, the dual drive is another bit of kit to get knocked about and I’ve already had one scare of a bent pin when flying with it. Plus, the shifter options are a bit limited.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered a proper derailleur hanger from Tern and a Microshift Advent groupset with a 11-42t cassette, on the basis of enough MTB dads outfitting their kid’s 20” wheeled bikes with the same set up. When Marin started selling kids bikes with the same setup, albeit using the Microshift Acolyte groupset with one less gear, I reckoned the risk would be low.

Quite an easy install - Microshift’s instructions were pretty clear - and there’s enough clearance around the rear tyre (although I would be wary of trying a monster like the larger Schwabe Big Apple). Trigger shifts feel quite clear and precise and without significant lag.

Initial trial runs around the apartment block car park and its ramp seem to indicate that it’s comfy enough so far, so the next challenge will be the open road aka the cycle path that circles Auckland city centre, which is hilly enough...
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 03-04-21, 04:08 AM
Falconista

Bikes: 1986 Falcon Laser, 2004 Dahon, 2018 Moulton TSR

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the update and let us know how you get on with the microshift system.

On one bike I went for a similar set-up, using Shimano XT. I was seduced by the marketing speak about perfect shifting but I can't really feel any difference to the cheaper Shimano systems.

It generally works well but the bottom of the RD gets close to the tyre and the ground. All good on the road, but it works as a mud scoop in puddles and adds a nice crunchy feeling to the chain as the mud/grit goes round.
Old 09-30-21, 07:49 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Falconista
I can't really feel any difference to the cheaper Shimano systems.
It generally works well but the bottom of the RD gets close to the tyre and the ground. All good on the road, but it works as a mud scoop in puddles and adds a nice crunchy feeling to the chain as the mud/grit goes round.
Hardware $ at that level is usually for finish and weight
Wanna see low hanging , look at the 16"trikes with the setup. Idler looks like a training wheel with the long RD needed for a 30+ cog.
Foldies are an exercise in compromise.
Wheel building looks intimidating, but is not complicated , esp at the 20"level,
Still at the bike counter , I find myself often in line behind folks coming in to have a flat fixed.
Microshift stuff is pretty nice at their price point, good to hear it is working out. Also easier to find nowadays.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 10-02-21, 01:51 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

I guess I should probably provide an update on how it’s going with the regeared Tern. Since I’m awaiting a new shift pin for my Dahon, I’ve been solely riding around on the Tern for the last month or so, so I feel I can comment a bit more now.

In general, the Microshift Advent groupset shifts cleanly and solidly - it’s not a soft touch to shift, but shifting feels purposeful. Clearance is okay - I’m now running Schwalbe Big Apples and with them pumped up reasonably firmly I haven’t grounded out on bumps and kerbs. I would be wary of using the Advent setup on 406 wheels with skinny tyres but 451s should be more comfortable with that set up. I wouldn’t want to head hugely off-road on it, but on gravel tracks and rail trails it seems to collect as much road dirt as the Dahon did.

In terms of climbing, it’s able to handle both the short sharp and long dragging hills locally without needing to get out of the saddle. I can push it on the flat past the highest gear with some effort, but as the bike is set up quite upright with Soma Sparrow bars I doubt its intended user will be doing that often.

Had I not picked up the Dahon Speed TR soon after the Tern, I would be quite happy with another Link or similar 20” folder switched to Microshift Advent for my own use - although I think I would have kept a 52t chainring on it and picked up some drop bars, the Advent road brifters and a pair of Travel Agents for a more zippy journey.

The other change that surprised me was the ride after swapping tyres. I found the Tern quite leaden with the Schwalbe Duranos on it compared to the Big Apple-Marathon combo on the Dahon. Switching to Big Apples all round has made for a much more fun, lively ride.

Last edited by Reddleman; 10-02-21 at 01:54 AM.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 10-05-21, 07:54 AM
Lordkawa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could you post some pictures of the Tern link D8 upgrade - Miscroshift Advent?
Likes For Lordkawa:
Old 10-05-21, 01:57 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
The other change that surprised me was the ride after swapping tyres. I found the Tern quite leaden with the Schwalbe Duranos on it compared to the Big Apple-Marathon combo on the Dahon. Switching to Big Apples all round has made for a much more fun, lively ride.[/QUOTE]

I chose the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires as replacements on my Dahon Speed. I read they are really good at resisting punctures. One drawback is that this increases the weight and decreases flexibility of the tire.The puncture resistance is provided by increasing the thickness. This is true for runflat tires on automobiles (BMW). I wonder if its the same for bicycles?
Old 10-05-21, 04:06 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Originally Posted by Lordkawa
Could you post some pictures of the Tern link D8 upgrade - Miscroshift Advent?

Here you go, hopefully that should give you some idea of ground clearance etc. Let me know if there’s any more details you want to see.
Old 10-06-21, 01:58 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
I chose the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires as replacements on my Dahon Speed. I read they are really good at resisting punctures. One drawback is that this increases the weight and decreases flexibility of the tire.The puncture resistance is provided by increasing the thickness. This is true for runflat tires on automobiles (BMW). I wonder if its the same for bicycles?
marathon plus has a stiffer casing, extra layers and a harder rubber so yes, the side walls are stiffer, less compliant... I get similar effect between MTB tyres (soft sidewalls) and gravel tyres (stiff puncture resistance) and have to run lower pressures (-8psi) or the harshness and vibrations hurt my arm joints.
Old 12-16-21, 06:17 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Originally Posted by Reddleman
Had I not picked up the Dahon Speed TR soon after the Tern, I would be quite happy with another Link or similar 20” folder switched to Microshift Advent for my own use - although I think I would have kept a 52t chainring on it and picked up some drop bars, the Advent road brifters and a pair of Travel Agents for a more zippy journey.
After a year or thereabouts with the Dahon Speed TR, the dual drive started to play up due to plenty of use by a previous owner and some cams that are breaking. So I picked up another Tern Link D8 and another Microshift Advent groupset, and got tinkering again.

This time I stuck with the 52T chainring but put on an 11-46T cassette. No real clearance issues either this time, but it needs a 116 minimum link chain. More of a higher end, and still comfortable on the low end too. Currently running with flat bars, but I picked up a bar end shifter for a potential drop bar conversion touring-style in 2022…
Old 12-18-21, 03:47 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
You can run the old altus 8 speed rear derailleur with alivio 9s shifter or sora 9 s.
if you fit a FD, you can run sora or alivio 2x

i run 53/39 with 9s 11-25 but is used to work with 11-32 on short cage.
you can run altus and sora short cage with 11-36.

i also run a 1x9 with 48x11-36 and a 1x9 with 32 11-34

Last edited by Fentuz; 12-18-21 at 04:58 AM.