Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

NiteRider cordless light battery

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 07:36 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I have a couple of old NiteRider MINEWT cordless headlights. One is a 150 and the other a 600 lumen. Both had seen better days and were showing the red low battery indication light after just a couple hours in blinking mode when they should last about 10 hours. I was about to throw them away as I have a Lumina 1100. Instead I looked into how hard it would be to replace the battery in them.

Holy cow - the battery is readily replaceable. Looks like a AA battery on steroids. It's a 18650B 3400mAh 4.9A Protected Button Top Battery. Seems that there are different versions of the 18650 battery: plain, button top (like on an AA battery), and a protected button top battery which has a built-in fuse. Each battery is a different length so I needed to get the correct one. The original battery was only 2900mAh so I should get longer battery life than from the factory. Two batteries only cost $14 total including shipping.

Removing the 3 screws is easy if you have a long 2 mm Allen wrench. I have one for adjusting Shimano mechanical disk brake pads. It's a very easy job. One thing to remember is to fully charge the light before using it. The lithium batteries are shipped nearly fully discharged. I believe that the Lumina lights also have a replaceable battery as does the Fenix.
Old 08-24-20, 08:44 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
So it is not a welded in battery? Great! the MINEWT is common, and NR is uneven in support.
The 18650 is a common bat but good connection and economy usually has them welded into place.
The Batteries Plus retailers have welders and can be helpful if that is going on.
Check out https://www.batteryspace.com/ good resource for the basics.
the bats are commonly available and frequently counterfeited so use a good vendor.
Remember , lithium batteries are fire bombs that store electricity.
The ebike battery builders are a good source if you go down that rabbit hole.
Likes For bikebikebike: