Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bang for buck 10-speed chain? Going to be waxing.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-21, 10:47 AM
BigSilver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's the go-to 10 speed chain that's in the sweet spot for quality to cost ratio? I'm using a SRAM cassette and derailleurs but no loyalty to SRAM unless it matters.

I was thinking Ultegra but I understand it would require adding a quick disconnect link, since I'm going to be waxing. I plan on getting two and rotating them. The only chain I've ever "broken" was from botching the old school chain press install process. Would rather stick with factory installed reusable quick disconnect links.

Many thanks.
Old 12-24-21, 11:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I think KMC X10.93 fills the bill- upper/mid quality & moderate price.

The packaging used to have fancier claims but now is bland.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-24-21, 12:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I'd say your thought to just go Ultegra is correct. Unless I'm shopping in the wrong places, seems about same as KMC's lowest level x10 offering
one option: https://www.excelsports.com/shimano-...10-speed-chain

to go with, pick up a pack of these: https://moltenspeedwax.com/products/...sp-master-link
Old 12-24-21, 07:05 PM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I have been using ultegra chains and waxing them for over ten years. I use these : Wippermann ConneX Chain Link, never had a failure and they install and remove without any special tools.
Old 12-24-21, 08:14 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I have, and do use quite a few different brands of chains. Other than a bit of a different sound, I honestly cannot tell the difference between them. I have a Wippermann Connex 10 speed that I have not used yet. I have been using Ultegra lately because they have been readily available and on sale from a few vendors. I reuse Shimano quick links and have never had an issue with doing that. I do not wax chains. I tried that a number of years ago and did not like how quickly they could need to be lubed again.
Old 12-24-21, 08:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
KMC, Wipperman, Shimano. They all work fine.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-25-21, 07:31 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Im not sure anyone can accurately answer you. Too many variables and prices fluctuating every day. At current EU prices Id go with a 10s hg6701, 11s hg601 or for satisfying my curiosity a 10/11s CN-LG500 link glide chain, that is supposedly extra durable for e-bikes.

If you are going to wax, you'll need additional links regardless what chain you buy. They loosen a lot after repeated use.
Old 12-26-21, 12:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 1,009 Posts
While I am 11 speed, I have been waxing my chain, and use the shimano quick link, but I have a wipperman ready to go the next time I pull the existing chain off to re-wax. I used Wipperman with my 10 speed shimano chains and they worked great.

Old 12-26-21, 03:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Chains aren't really where you want to argue a cost/benefit ratio. Even at premium prices they still aren't going to add much over the life of your bike.
Old 08-15-22, 05:00 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Chains aren't really where you want to argue a cost/benefit ratio. Even at premium prices they still aren't going to add much over the life of your bike.
My carbon bikes lost (lately) about 500USD a bike second hand (this requires waiting for a slightly damaged one, or one which may be damaged and scares other bidders away). I ride a lot and I get through about a chain every 4 months. I can get Shimano chains reduced to about about 33SUD on Amazon Japan which is about 100USD a year. I think my bikes are going to last five years so I think that chains will cost at least as much as my bikes. At least with 10 speed, which are getting discounted these days, I can get them for about 20 USD from aliexpress but I have been purchasing lemons lately.