Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are 105 9sp brake levers different?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-22, 07:50 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts

I read somewhere in this forum that the pull on the brake levers is different. I was going to put 105 brifters on a Cannondale that has the OEM Coda brakes on them. I have the 105 calipers too, but was just going to leave the Codas. Is there a problem with doing that? I am taking the 105 group from a Specialized to a Cannondale because my daughter outgrew the Spec that was a 44 frame to the 48 C'dale, and that 44 frame is tiny. I tried riding it once and could barely pedal it I was so cramped.
Old 06-26-22, 08:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I believe it has to do with whether its SLR or Super SLR

​​​​​​https://www.cyclabo.com/topics/hr6mzphvey/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-26-22, 04:15 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by dedhed
I believe it has to do with whether its SLR or Super SLR

​​​​​​https://www.cyclabo.com/topics/hr6mzphvey/
That link is only more confusing. What is "Old" super SLR and what is "NEW". It never specifies. Have you ever seen the complete Shimano compatibility chart? You need a Doctorate of Computer Science to be able to understand it. This is why I ask here. Maybe there is some real world knowledge.
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-26-22, 06:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I agree with the confusing use of terms like "pull width". I have never read/heard that used to describe either pad movement with lever pull or cable travel per pull.

I believe that the New SLR has seen the calipers getting longer cable anchor and adjuster arm lengths and the levers have thus needed a similar increase of cable pull. So with the most current levers and the old SLR calipers the lever will have a hard/stiff feel when the pads contact the rim. This to some will think this makes for more powerful braking action but actually the leverage has gone down. For those of us with strong hands and like that solid feel this can be OK. But do know the lever pull effort will need to be more for the same pad/rim clamping force. Andy (who hope he has this right and not backwards)

I'll add that levers and calipers from other than Shimano might not fully copy the geometry of the "matching" Shimano system, independent of the year of production.
Old 06-26-22, 07:44 PM
zacster

I'm used to the terms short pull and long pull for road/cantis and V-brakes. Do these levers fall somewhere in between? Or are they even shorter pull? And will the levers work with the Codas? I use Campy levers with Campy brakes, Tektro levers with Tektro brakes and Shimano Deore levers with XT V-Brakes and they all work perfectly, but they also all match. I also have one bike set up with Tektro levers and Campy Veloce brakes, but this one has cross levers too. It all just works.

If I were guessing, I'd think the Codas from the Cannondale are completely Shimano compatible. But I'm guessing.
Old 06-26-22, 07:56 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
9 speed you're likely just fine
Old 06-27-22, 08:03 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I would just install the 105 brifters and see how it goes. As mentioned, there are different pull ratios between different calipers and generations of calipers that you might be able to find with some time-consuming searching. But, since you also have the 105 calipers, I would think it's just faster, and will give you a real-world answer, to just mount everything, try it out, and then switch calipers if necessary.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-27-22, 10:24 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I would just install the 105 brifters and see how it goes. As mentioned, there are different pull ratios between different calipers and generations of calipers that you might be able to find with some time-consuming searching. But, since you also have the 105 calipers, I would think it's just faster, and will give you a real-world answer, to just mount everything, try it out, and then switch calipers if necessary.
That's usually my approach anyway, especially since I have the parts. It just struck me that there were differences as I always thought all road brakes were the same, only V-Brakes were any different. I tried out the canti levers on the V-Brakes when I installed them just to see, and they would barely stop. I put the proper levers on and it was amazing how well modulated they were.

And one thing I haven't checked is the brake pads on these Codas. If I need new pads I'll just use the 105s since those are still good I think. Who makes those brakes anyway? Tektro? They look more like Campy than Shimano.
Old 06-27-22, 10:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Here is a very informative, but at times somewhat difficult to follow, thread on cable pull...

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ll-ratios.html

John