Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When did the aluminum water bottle cage come into being?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

When did the aluminum water bottle cage come into being?

Old 06-26-22, 07:37 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
🤣😁🙃 I can't help but think of the Red Green tv show. That's been a few years ago now, I guess. 🤔
Nothing else matters so long as you remember to keep your stick on the ice.
Old 06-26-22, 08:13 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

only ever caught three or four

shall forever remember the one where he "invents" a device to defeat law enforcement speed radar

it was a kind of conveyor belt Rube Goldberg thing with big aluminum paddles - hilarious

-----
One of the best was when they cut 2 cars in half, and duct taped the 2 front ends together. You couldn't tell if it was coming or going. 😆😁
Old 06-26-22, 08:19 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Nothing else matters so long as you remember to keep your stick on the ice.
There ya go. 👍 I think he normally closed the show with that little tidbit of wisdom. 😁
Old 06-26-22, 10:46 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Which company was ATT?
American Telephone and Telegraph.
... not to be confused with ITT, International Telephone and Telegraph...

...and not to be confused with T.A., which stands for Traction Avant. Jan Heine did a write-up on them in Bicycle Quarterly (although it might have been Vintage Bicycle Quarterly at the time). They used to make front wheel drivetrains for autos, IIRC. I've got that article in my archives somewhere.

Steve in Peoria

I've got an old aviation electronics book published by ITT....

Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-27-22, 08:38 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
aluminum water bottle cage
I love anything made of aluminum. But what we really need is lighter water.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 06-27-22, 04:33 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
I love anything made of aluminum. But what we really need is lighter water.
"Light water is simply ordinary water that does not contain large amounts of deuterium, making it distinct from heavy water."
from here:
https://energyeducation.ca/encyclope...s%20properties.

I don't know about you, but I ALWAYS try to dring the light stuff.
Old 06-27-22, 06:53 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by stardognine
You win, yours has a built-in horn, AND reflector. 😁
The horn was super annoying btw, and the reflector seems to go against standard Reflector Etiquette which is "white= front" and "red= rear". Maybe I should shut up... I could be swaying my victory!!!

Last edited by uncle uncle; 06-27-22 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-27-22, 07:17 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by bulgie
...The band clamps and even the bolts holding the clamps shut were alloy. Nice exotic bolts that were unfortunately not very useful since (eventually) most better frames had braze-ons. I still have a little pile of those alloy bolts, can't figure out what to use them for...
Mark B
I was going to mention my experience with alloy bolts. I worked in the aircraft industry, and because of one of my designs mounted in the proximity of some instruments that were sensitive to iron/steel/and the such, I mounted my item with aluminum alloy screws and nuts. The installers had such a tough time installing the screws and nuts... the threading was susceptible to galling, and then, the screws would snap. After we did some testing, I revised the design to use steel attachment hardware (which, fortunately, didn't effect the instruments). This situation bore out what I had already had come to experience with my own use of aluminum alloy fasteners on bicycles (they gall, then snap). I should have known better.
Old 06-27-22, 07:33 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I was going to mention my experience with alloy bolts. I worked in the aircraft industry, and because of one of my designs mounted in the proximity of some instruments that were sensitive to iron/steel/and the such, I mounted my item with aluminum alloy screws and nuts. The installers had such a tough time installing the screws and nuts... the threading was susceptible to galling, and then, the screws would snap. After we did some testing, I revised the design to use steel attachment hardware (which, fortunately, didn't effect the instruments). This situation bore out what I had already had come to experience with my own use of aluminum alloy fasteners on bicycles (they gall, then snap). I should have known better.
with apologies to everyone else... I used to work on aircraft electronics ("avionics") in the Marines a very long time ago. Brass fasteners were pretty common for securing instruments in the panel, and stuff like the magnetic compass definitely needed them (since they are non-magnetic) to not mess it up. We still had to adjust the compass to compensate for the various magnetic influences in the aircraft, though. We never had to worry about the brass galling or corroding.

The airplane did use aluminum screws with with steel captive nuts, and I can't count how many times I had to get a drill and EZ-out because the aluminum screws had corroded and seized in that steel nuts!
I think I've got some aluminum chainring bolts on a modern bike, but there's no steel close to them, and they have loc-tite to keep the bolt from galling with the nut.

Steve in Peoria
(I keep thinking we should have used anti-seize on those aluminum screws on the airplanes)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-27-22, 07:48 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Steve in Peoria
(I keep thinking we should have used anti-seize on those aluminum screws on the airplanes)
Or just rub the whole fastener assembly with water pump grease and/or bicycle grease. 👍 I was once a plumber, and among other things, I rebuilt a lot of water pumps (mostly Gould's & Jacuzzis). I put grease on everything, especially the impellor shaft & hardware. It makes a huge difference, as a rust inhibitor. 🙂
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-27-22, 08:40 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,770 Times in 1,405 Posts
While aluminum bottles and handlebar mounts were made by Coloral, the only downtube holders they made I have seen were steel, not aluminum. I think the OP is looking for the ubiquitous design in steelbikeguy's post.