Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Indoor clinchers? GP5000?

Old 09-29-21, 04:35 PM
BennyBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Indoor clinchers? GP5000?

Speccing my first track bike build.
indoor use only (mainly Derby)
mid like clinchers to not lose a days riding if I get a flat (it’s a bit of a travel for me)
what’s the recommended tire? I can get w pair of GP5000 for £80, but are they a good tyre for indoor velodrome?
Old 09-29-21, 07:32 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The GP5000 is a good all-rounder tire. But there are faster tires for the velodrome. If you aren’t going to run tubulars, look at a tire like the Vittoria Corsa Speed, which is lighter weight and lower rolling resistance than the GP5000. Unless I misunderstand the question just bring a tube, tire lever, and minipump with you in your jersey pocket if you’re worried about flats which should be rare inside.
Old 09-30-21, 12:07 AM
BennyBikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The GP5000 is a good all-rounder tire. But there are faster tires for the velodrome. If you aren’t going to run tubulars, look at a tire like the Vittoria Corsa Speed, which is lighter weight and lower rolling resistance than the GP5000. Unless I misunderstand the question just bring a tube, tire lever, and minipump with you in your jersey pocket if you’re worried about flats which should be rare inside.
I’ll take a look at the Vitoria, thanks.
it’s a bit more than the conti (~140 a pair rather than 80 a pair)

I don’t think I’ll have them in my jersey pocket, but I’ll definitely take the spares
Old 09-30-21, 12:48 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BennyBikes
I’ll take a look at the Vitoria, thanks.
it’s a bit more than the conti (~140 a pair rather than 80 a pair)

I don’t think I’ll have them in my jersey pocket, but I’ll definitely take the spares
Vittoria make track specific tyres, the Pista Control is a good option for a tyre designed specifically for the track.
Old 09-30-21, 07:43 AM
billridesbikes

Originally Posted by Minion1
Vittoria make track specific tyres, the Pista Control is a good option for a tyre designed specifically for the track.
^ Nice. I didn’t know the Pista tires came in clincher too. (It’s only money OP, someone has to support the poor bicycle industry workers)
Old 09-30-21, 08:13 AM
BennyBikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Pista Control looks like an outdoor velodrome tyre

also considering the P Zero TT
Old 09-30-21, 11:18 AM
bicievino

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Veloflex Record comes in clincher, too.
Old 09-30-21, 03:44 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Any non coloured (black) tyre should be fine. Colours show the use of silica compounds which = slippery on the boards.

If you’re strictly indoors, use whatever. You shouldn’t have to worry about flats. Carry your bike into the velo so you don’t pick up any nasties on the way in or out. If they’re clinchers, why are you worried about flats and losing a day? You might lose some skin if you crash, but taking a spare tube means back to going in 5-10min

For training any tyre will be fine. But when it comes to races something lighter and higher pressure is nicer
Old 10-02-21, 04:33 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you haven't already bought the wheels then I'd definitely get tubular wheels with a pair of Vittoria pista controls stuck on them. Tubs run better on the track and usually are easier to handle if you get a puncture while riding which should be a rare occurrence if you look after them. Dan, the mechanic at Derby, will stick them on for you at a really good price.
Likes For Poppit:
Old 10-02-21, 10:15 AM
billridesbikes

+1 for sew-ups if it’s not too late. I also run the Vittoria Pista tubulars 23mm at 110psi. I have never gotten a flat on the track.
Old 07-05-22, 12:01 AM
Andyrob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same question as before please for a light rider just training perhaps 3 times a month on an indoor wood track. Current supply issues here in the UK means choices for 'track' type clincher tyres seem limited to Rubino Pro Speed, Veloflex Record, Conti GP TT or the GP5000s as per original post. The records are the only proper track option but seem more race orientated. Which would you pick?