Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spray.bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 07:41 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Spray.bike?

Has anyone here used Spray.bike products? Good, bad or ugly experiences?
Thx
Old 05-05-22, 07:57 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
I reviewed all the info I could find a while ago including their tech articles.
on a carbon frame where a matt finish is desired, ok.
on a lugged steel frame where an initial primer / sealer would be best, I am concerned.
the toughness and long term durability is undetermined. Not stated effectively is the temp and humidity range the coating performs best in. Notice I wrote coating, not paint.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-05-22, 09:37 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Never used it. It looks nice in a photo with talented users, though photos of anything from a distance always look better than real life.

From my extensive research last year prior to painting a couple bikes..it looks good in the short term and is easy to use. If you want high gloss..you won't get it. Long term, with normal bike use,...meh...as far as durability.

For $8 more a can, with no shipping, you can use custom-filled rattle can auto paints and two-part clears**. Clears can be matte to super high gloss. Colors..probably a thousand or more to choose from, from solid base coats to metallics to pearls to candies (look at any can anywhere..the paint is available). I figured, as long as I'm going through the time and effort to paint a bike..might as well take a long-term approach and get the best appearance too.

Search for a local auto parts store that supplies local painters with paint. They can mix up and load rattle cans in a few minutes.

**Auto paints are really easy to use and are very fast to work with, but you do need a good respirator when spraying..less than $50.
Old 05-05-22, 10:26 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Never used it. It looks nice in a photo with talented users, though photos of anything from a distance always look better than real life.

From my extensive research last year prior to painting a couple bikes..it looks good in the short term and is easy to use. If you want high gloss..you won't get it. Long term, with normal bike use,...meh...as far as durability.

For $8 more a can, with no shipping, you can use custom-filled rattle can auto paints and two-part clears**. Clears can be matte to super high gloss. Colors..probably a thousand or more to choose from, from solid base coats to metallics to pearls to candies (look at any can anywhere..the paint is available). I figured, as long as I'm going through the time and effort to paint a bike..might as well take a long-term approach and get the best appearance too.

Search for a local auto parts store that supplies local painters with paint. They can mix up and load rattle cans in a few minutes.

**Auto paints are really easy to use and are very fast to work with, but you do need a good respirator when spraying..less than $50.
agreed. I'm a pro painter so I don't have to resort to rattle cans. My suggestion is to use a Spray.Max rattle can loaded with House of Kolor primer 1st. They come in colors. Sand the primer with 600 grit wet dry. Spray with Spray.bike with the color of your choice. Then spray with a urethane enamel clear. Spray.max has one in a can already. With this system you will get durability because of the primer and top coat. With SprayMax cans you have to hit a button on the bottom of the can to mix the activator into the paint. Then you have only a certain amount of time before it will harden in the can like epoxy.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 05-05-22, 12:34 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
I painted a mountain bike frame during lockdown. I was painting over an existing factory paint job. I did a lot of sanding prep, followed the spray.bike instructions, and took my time. I was happy with the result. Agreed with the above comment that it's not a very glossy finish. It's more of a powder. I used one of their sparkle clear coats as the final coat, which was fun. It added some glossiness. Those cool colors and finishes, ease of use and bike specificness are their selling point. It sounds like you can get a more traditional finish using the automotive options above.

As far as durability, I can't really tell you. Hazetguy's post above should have more info about that. So far it's held up well, but this was a bike for the girlfriend that doesn't get a ton of miles, bike rack parking, or other things that are hard on finishes.
Old 05-05-22, 05:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
I have painted 3 bikes with spray.bike products.

- the fluro colors are 'hairy' and easily messed up.
- prep is 90% of the process.
- compact the paint with a cloth or paper towel as instructed. It smooths everything out.
- durability has been fantastic. It doesn't chip easily when applied properly.
- it will not sit as smoothly as wet paint. Just don't hope for that.