Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Joining the Club!

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Joining the Club!

Old 02-01-21, 12:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Joining the Club!

Got my son into cycling, but the speed and distance difference was causing me to have to choose between a quality workout and father/son time. Still need to make some adjustments to it (timing chain is off by 1 tooth and that stem is super short) but we already got a 40 minute 8 mile inaugural ride under our belt and he is asking to go out again today. My wife and I have an over/under bet as to when he decides he's too cool to ride it anymore. She says 2 years (age 12) tops, but I'm hoping for more.
Old 02-01-21, 12:48 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Very cool. Enjoy!

FYI, it’s not unusual for the timing chain to be off by a tooth as a way to accommodate riders with different natural cadences.
Likes For reburns:
Old 02-01-21, 03:21 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Very nice. Yes they do grow up and you won’t recognize them, and they won’t want to recognize you...
for a while, but they’ll come back. It’s worth it.

My stoker-wife likes to have her cranks two teeth ahead of mine, so that she can get her downstroke started before the pedal disappears from under her foot from mine. Some teams like to go 90 degrees out of phase to maximize this effect but most who do this say they can’t then stand together smoothly on hills.
Old 02-01-21, 03:36 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
My stoker-wife likes to have her cranks two teeth ahead of mine, so that she can get her downstroke started before the pedal disappears from under her foot from mine. Some teams like to go 90 degrees out of phase to maximize this effect but most who do this say they can’t then stand together smoothly on hills.
I was aware of the 90 degree setup, but hadn't thought about a reason to have the stoker just slightly ahead. It rides fine the way it is, so maybe I'll leave it just so I don't have to do any extra work.
Old 02-02-21, 08:37 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I was aware of the 90 degree setup, but hadn't thought about a reason to have the stoker just slightly ahead. It rides fine the way it is, so maybe I'll leave it just so I don't have to do any extra work.
My wife rides 1 or 2 teeth *trailing* myself (my memory is fuzzy)

It's easy to experiment and find what works best for you.
Likes For diabloridr:
Old 02-02-21, 04:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I got to thinking. I already have an 11-32 9 speed cassette, so I'm going to see if that will fit with the 105 derailleur. If that does work, I can get a 48t chainring to keep the chain wrap within reason and still have about the same top gear (plus we're not interested in breaking any speed records anyway), while dramatically reducing the low end since I know we're going to climb slowly. If it doesn't work, a Deore RD will take care of it.
Old 02-03-21, 07:31 AM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your rides with your son. My guess is that he will want to ride with you until he is 14, but each child is different.
Likes For tandem rider:
Old 02-05-21, 01:47 AM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
When my son started riding on the back It was difficult as I wanted to work hard and he, well, was a kid. Then I told him to just relax and ride but to pour it on if I yelled “TURBO!” He seemed to enjoy it more after that, bragging to my wife hat he was a lightweight turbo motor. Enjoy!
Likes For Magnum PI:
Old 02-05-21, 02:18 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Magnum PI
When my son started riding on the back It was difficult as I wanted to work hard and he, well, was a kid. Then I told him to just relax and ride but to pour it on if I yelled “TURBO!” He seemed to enjoy it more after that, bragging to my wife hat he was a lightweight turbo motor. Enjoy!
That’s awesome! So far, mine seems to do his fair share of work, sometimes less sometimes more. He is definitely the squirmiest stoker I have ever had though!