Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Detecting major left/right power imbalance with just a smart trainer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-21, 11:51 AM
BigSilver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have had herniated discs in the neck with associated loss of strength in my left arm due to the disc pinching a nerve. I went from pressing a 32kg kettlebell to not being able to press a 16kg bell overnight. This has happened twice. Strength mostly came back each time, but my left arm kettlebell press is probably 95% of my right arm (which is probably within the norm. Most people are stronger on one side. The right is my dominant side, as well.) The herniated discs is still there and from time to time flares up but I do some neck stretches (McKenzie Technique) have mostly eliminated the pinched nerve and further loss of strength.

I've also had aggravated discs in my lower back after deadlifting heavier than I needed to. But I've never noticed nerve pain in the leg or loss of strength. Back currently feels fine. It's my understanding that the nerves that control the leg are in the lower back.

In the last few months, I've felt, going up stairs, that my left leg wasn't firing exactly right. Just a little bit of pain in the outside quad.

Two weeks ago I started biking again after a really long layoff. I've got a Tacx Vortex that shows power, but not for the individual sides. Left side doesn't feel quite right - but I freely admit it could all be in my head.

A dual sided power meter is not in my immediate future, but I'd like to test the power imbalance to at least put my mind at ease and to know my disappointing ramp test was due to being out of shape and not due to a nerve issue in the leg.

I was thinking about a 1 or 5 min test with each leg? Would that work? What's the range of a 'normal' imbalance? (I listened to the TrainerRoad podcast where the speakers recommended not worrying about imbalances. They mentioned an Olympian with an greater than 8% imbalance that only got injured when he/she tried to fix it. I'm just hoping mine doesn't show something much greater than that.)

Any other ideas?
Old 11-18-21, 12:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I don't have an answer to your main question, but my experience about imbalances (based on 2-sided PM pedals) is that for a very long time, I seldom saw anything outside of 48/52 or 52/48. More recently, dealing with injuries, I can have rides as disparate as 55-57/45-43, but not for all rides- most are better balanced. (oddly, one of my bikes seems to lend itself to the more imbalanced values, and I haven't figured out why - same pedals, shoes, crank lengths - must be a slightly different saddle position that incites it).

(Is 48/52 a 2% imbalance? Or is it a 4% imbalance? Or is it an 8% imbalance? (52/48= 1.08).
Old 11-18-21, 12:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSilver
Any other ideas?
Visit a physical therapist?

If you're trying to do one-leg drills to test imbalance, I think it's more likely that you'll be seeing differences in coordination rather than strength; one-leg drills are generally a pain in the ass, but I'm certainly much better on one side vs the other (I forget which), and I don't believe that I have any significant power imbalance.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-18-21, 02:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Chronically denervated muscles should show atrophy and fasciculations, (small twitchy movements at rest). If you're concerned ask your doc to refer you for electromyography and nerve conduction studies. That information is definitive.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-18-21, 03:25 PM
BigSilver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi

If you're trying to do one-leg drills to test imbalance, I think it's more likely that you'll be seeing differences in coordination rather than strength; one-leg drills are generally a pain in the ass, but I'm certainly much better on one side vs the other (I forget which), and I don't believe that I have any significant power imbalance.
Thanks for this. It's also my non-dominant side which I think might be a weaker - so is likely to be less coordinated. That's kinda what I was concerned about:that my 'test' wouldn't be a good test.
Old 11-18-21, 03:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to tell without dual pedals. But I think there are stationary bikes used for fitting that can do this, you might be able do a test somewhere as needed?

Sorry to hear what you're going through.
Old 11-19-21, 12:35 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Chronically denervated muscles should show atrophy and fasciculations, (small twitchy movements at rest). If you're concerned ask your doc to refer you for electromyography and nerve conduction studies. That information is definitive.
This ^^^^.
Old 11-19-21, 04:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSilver
I have had herniated discs in the neck with associated loss of strength in my left arm due to the disc pinching a nerve. I went from pressing a 32kg kettlebell to not being able to press a 16kg bell overnight. This has happened twice. Strength mostly came back each time, but my left arm kettlebell press is probably 95% of my right arm (which is probably within the norm. Most people are stronger on one side. The right is my dominant side, as well.) The herniated discs is still there and from time to time flares up but I do some neck stretches (McKenzie Technique) have mostly eliminated the pinched nerve and further loss of strength.

I've also had aggravated discs in my lower back after deadlifting heavier than I needed to. But I've never noticed nerve pain in the leg or loss of strength. Back currently feels fine. It's my understanding that the nerves that control the leg are in the lower back.

In the last few months, I've felt, going up stairs, that my left leg wasn't firing exactly right. Just a little bit of pain in the outside quad.

Two weeks ago I started biking again after a really long layoff. I've got a Tacx Vortex that shows power, but not for the individual sides. Left side doesn't feel quite right - but I freely admit it could all be in my head.

A dual sided power meter is not in my immediate future, but I'd like to test the power imbalance to at least put my mind at ease and to know my disappointing ramp test was due to being out of shape and not due to a nerve issue in the leg.

I was thinking about a 1 or 5 min test with each leg? Would that work? What's the range of a 'normal' imbalance? (I listened to the TrainerRoad podcast where the speakers recommended not worrying about imbalances. They mentioned an Olympian with an greater than 8% imbalance that only got injured when he/she tried to fix it. I'm just hoping mine doesn't show something much greater than that.)

Any other ideas?
Like you, my left arm function is impaired by impinged nerves at the cervical spine. I have had two nerve studies from two different Doctors with vastly differing results. Both results were reviewed by renowned spine surgeon at Texas Back Institute and in lay terms, he said they were crap. So, be careful who you go to for the nerve conduction study. Weakness is easily quantifiable and numbness, tingling, burning of the sensory nerves is subjective. Can you do a one leg squat with the right leg but not the left? Be careful, you might collapse to the floor. A 50% drop for example in vastus lateralis strength should be very apparent and in time, your left quad would be measurably smaller. Do you have access to a gym? If so, test strength of one side vs the other.