Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chick in flip-flops riding a Cervelo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-08, 10:40 AM
2WheelFury
Cat 6 Wheel-Sucker

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale, Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seen this weekend down at Seal Beach. There's no justice in this world, I swear. She was treating it like a beach cruiser, merrily plodding along with friends at 5 mph. Argh. Tore a little bit out of my soul.
Old 08-12-08, 10:41 AM
ehidle
T-Shirt Guy

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Issue, 2007 Fuji SL-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, but did you get pics?

Get your Cranky T-Shirt!
Men's
and Women's designs available
Old 08-12-08, 10:43 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2WheelFury
Seen this weekend down at Seal Beach. There's no justice in this world, I swear. She was treating it like a beach cruiser, merrily plodding along with friends at 5 mph. Argh. Tore a little bit out of my soul.
and?
Old 08-12-08, 10:43 AM
mashd rotations

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh.
Old 08-12-08, 10:44 AM
2WheelFury
Cat 6 Wheel-Sucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No pics, sorry. Just the thread about "fat guy on Cervelo" reminded me of it. It just kind of hit me in the gut a little knowing that there are people out there that will buy a $4,000 bike and have no appreciation for it at all.
Old 08-12-08, 10:46 AM
photonick
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No pics, sorry. Just the thread about "fat guy on Cervelo" reminded me of it. It just kind of hit me in the gut a little knowing that there are people out there that will buy a $4,000 bike and have no appreciation for it at all.
Honestly I've come to the conclusion, who cares? It pumps money into the cycling economy, and the bike hopefully will end up on eBay for 60% off of what she paid for it because she frankly doesn't care. On the flip side who knows, maybe she's just cruising with her friends to unwind from a 150 mile ride she did the day before. I've cruised on my Trek 1500 with my friends on beach cruisers plenty of times because I just don't have another bike at this point.
Old 08-12-08, 10:47 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe that's her team issue race bike, and she can't afford a commuter/beach cruiser.

I only have a spare bike and team issue bike right now. I ride my spare bike to my friends' place all the time, in jeans and flip flops.

What's the problem?
Old 08-12-08, 10:48 AM
2WheelFury
Cat 6 Wheel-Sucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe but she didn't look it. Oh well. Like you said, it puts money into the cycling economy. Maybe I'll catch it on ebay in a year or two real cheap. Who knows. I know I'm making a big deal about nothing, it just seemed so wrong...
Old 08-12-08, 10:50 AM
mcoomer
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was she hot? If so, she's obviously worried about being groped. On a beach cruiser she wouldn't be able to do anything about it but on a Cervelo she just dials it up to 400W and crushes the assailant.
Old 08-12-08, 10:52 AM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How do you know she wasnt a hard core cyclist just out for a mindless cruise?
Old 08-12-08, 10:55 AM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you serious? The only bikes I own are road bikes. If I'm riding down to the beach with my kids, I might even be riding one of them in flip flops. As a matter of fact...I might even be in a bikini and flip flops...on a nice road bike. OMG...and if I don't change wheelsets first (which I probably wouldn't) there might even be a freaking Power Tap. HOLY CRAP. CALL THE ROAD BIKE APPRECIATION POLICE! SOMEONE IS MISUSING THEIR HIGH END S*&%!!!!

You'd think that you could put two and two together and think she might just be out for a casual ride and that she might race or ride seriously at other times instead of jumping to the conclusion that she just dropped $4K on a nice bike because she didn't know better. Most people in this area who are of the beach cruiser set wouldn't just walk in and buy a Cervelo. Damn, the more I ponder this thread, the more stupid I realize it is. No appreciation for it? My god. The leaps you just took and assumptions you just made were ridiculous.

Just for that, tell me where you are going to be today, so I can ride one of my bikes there...in flip flops.

Wheels Rolling
Old 08-12-08, 10:56 AM
celerystalksme
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that's life...

there's a sizable group of people in my town that bought $5K-$10K Looks, Parlees, Sevens, Serottas, etc and use them as commuters, cruisers, and Diary Queen group ride bikes.

just like there are guys with porsches and ferrari's that never go above speed limit.

if you got the money, why wouldn't you get the best? i'd do the same...
Old 08-12-08, 10:56 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride around my neighborhood with my wife all the time on my "regular" bike.

Average speed for our ride is now up to 9 mph. I'm sure some people see me in my shorts and t-shirt and say, damn, what a waste of a bike, or what a Fred.

Bottom line, Sorry but you really don't know who she is, why she was riding, what she usually rides like, or anything else about her. Next time get her number, get to know her, and then post!
Old 08-12-08, 10:57 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have ridden some bodacious bikes in flip flops. Could you let me know if I appreciate the bikes?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-08, 10:57 AM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe but she didn't look it.
Define "didn't look it" please.

Wheels Rolling
Old 08-12-08, 11:00 AM
do-well

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe but she didn't look it. Oh well. Like you said, it puts money into the cycling economy. Maybe I'll catch it on ebay in a year or two real cheap. Who knows. I know I'm making a big deal about nothing, it just seemed so wrong...
And when I walk into my class filled with freshmen in 2 weeks, I'm sure many of them will think, "Man, this dude does not look like a professor."

Glad to see the act of judging people on looks lives on in America. It means we still have some work to do.
Old 08-12-08, 11:01 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
TO PHOTONIC\\I could not agree more, one see's so many rants about the fat guy on this or that superbike, you are so right, they have their enjoyment of a great bike at whatever level they are at and the industry, workers keep jobs in production and sales. Where is the down side to this?
Old 08-12-08, 11:03 AM
Bantam

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
Are you serious? The only bikes I own are road bikes. If I'm riding down to the beach with my kids, I might even be riding one of them in flip flops. As a matter of fact...I might even be in a bikini and flip flops...on a nice road bike. OMG...and if I don't change wheelsets first (which I probably wouldn't) there might even be a freaking Power Tap. HOLY CRAP. CALL THE ROAD BIKE APPRECIATION POLICE! SOMEONE IS MISUSING THEIR HIGH END S*&%!!!!

You'd think that you could put two and two together and think she might just be out for a casual ride and that she might race or ride seriously at other times instead of jumping to the conclusion that she just dropped $4K on a nice bike because she didn't know better. Most people in this area who are of the beach cruiser set wouldn't just walk in and buy a Cervelo. Damn, the more I ponder this thread, the more stupid I realize it is. No appreciation for it? My god. The leaps you just took and assumptions you just made were ridiculous.

Just for that, tell me where you are going to be today, so I can ride one of my bikes there...in flip flops.
Sweet! Body by PowerTap!
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
Define "didn't look it" please.
Ya think maybe she didn't shave her legs?
marengo
# BF-STL-00020

Bikes: Cinelli, Pinarello, Rossin, Gitane, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is absurd, I have a Cinelli, a Merckx and a Pinarello, they get ridden hard a lot. They also go to work and the store and just cruse around the 'hood. Sometimes I ride the few blocks over to the bike shop or bar with flipflops on the back of my Looks.
Old 08-12-08, 11:04 AM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds pretty hot to me...
Old 08-12-08, 11:05 AM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcvelo
Ya think maybe she didn't shave her legs?
That must have been it.

Wheels Rolling
Old 08-12-08, 11:07 AM
photonick
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
TO PHOTONIC\\I could not agree more, one see's so many rants about the fat guy on this or that superbike, you are so right, they have their enjoyment of a great bike at whatever level they are at and the industry, workers keep jobs in production and sales. Where is the down side to this?
Well to be honest I've made more than one "fat guy on a nice bike" post, and got shut down by Botto and company. Just made me realize don't judge people, and it's not worth it to concern yourself over that stuff. Plus buying a 4k bike just to buy a 4k bike isn't a women thing, that's a guy thing, I'd bet that this girl is a very strong cyclists, or at least a very serious one.
Old 08-12-08, 11:08 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I nominate this thread as a shining example of the best this forum has to offer!

Seriously, how shallow can you get? Good to see a lot of people here are a bit

beyond deciding which "chicks" deserve to ride expensive bikes, and which don't.
Old 08-12-08, 11:08 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Come to think of it i am also guilty of riding around the neighborhood with my wife while she is walking wearing regular shorts, flip flops, sweater etc. My bike, a Merlin Lunaris whit campy c record equipment. This is not my usual route or dress however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.