Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 11-22-21, 11:05 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
wanted mountains but coolish and pretty windy. settled for another coastal cruise. didn’t exactly hurt that it was 81 degrees and the winds were light. much of it car-free and the remainder was über-low auto traffic.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6294807010
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-23-21, 12:29 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Friday I rode 27 miles from my house to Fern Truck Trail near JPL. In addition I bumped into some wildlife on the trail, thankfully none with sharp teeth! Also the MTB'ers are always surprised I ride a "road bike" up the trail!

To be honest I'm surprised other gravel bikes can climb this trail properly. I'm running a 2x 46:30t and an 11-42t + GoatLink, so my low gear is 30:42 and it's still a workout! Running a 1x gravel bike you'd need something like a 38t + 11-50t to match my gear ratio. I'm helping a friend swap out his groupset with something with better climbing, but even then, he'd have to run a fairly big cassette while still having a decent high gear when we ride the streets.

that looks pretty hard-packed. just dumb enuff to hit that on the 23's...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-23-21, 10:42 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
that looks pretty hard-packed. just dumb enuff to hit that on the 23's...
I wouldn't recommend it, I don't think I'd even ride this trail on 32c tires. The entry point to Fern Truck trail has quite a few small rocks and is quite rugged, it only smooths out as you get further up. On the downhill descending to the other end, it's quite bumpy and you need to pick a proper line, because your arms are going to get a workout from all the small trail drops (on a rigid frame) and I usually just stand on my pedals and use my knees as "suspension." I usually descend down Rising Hill Rd, that exits out a steep residential street. My GPS computer has clocked me going 60mph and I usually drop super aero tuck just for fun, but you have to watch out for oncoming traffic!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-23-21, 10:52 AM
jonathanf2

Last Sunday I rode 41 miles of Hollywood climbing. First rode uphill to the Hollywood Sign via Beachwood and then did some off-roading on the Mulholland Hwy dirt trail down to Lake Hollywood. Afterwards just for extra punishment I rode up to the Griffith Observatory through Fern Dell. I'm now in recovery mode because my knees are shot from all that climbing!

Mt. Lee behind the Hollywood Sign:

The Mulholland Hwy Trail:
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-23-21, 07:01 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
Did a conditioning ride doing repeats in the Whittier Hills.
Mid 70's and sunshine with a lot of roadies out today.
Tried out a new wheelset for the first time. Smiles for miles and kept the rubber side down.

44 miles and 5555 feet of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38071581
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-25-21, 12:57 PM
jonathanf2

Just wrapped up my early morning Thanksgiving ride with some friends and the dozens of other cyclists there right now (Griffith Park)! On the flats, there was a small female cyclist (probably around 5'2" and not more than 100-110 lbs.), who passed up over 20 riders including myself. My buddies and I tried keeping up, but she was like a bullet!

Amazing cyclists can come in all shapes and sizes!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 11-26-21 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-26-21, 03:34 PM
Alphabet

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Finest 2.3 - 2022 Domane AL 5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Rode 16 miles down the coast to Cambria this morning. Beautiful views and not many cars going south. Temp was a little chilly at 55.
Likes For Alphabet:
Old 11-28-21, 02:58 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
Headwinds and tailwinds and crosswinds (oh my!) weather pattern back to pretty much normal today but overall a beautiful weekend of riding all over north/central OC.
Downed trees & debris everywhere including a large eucalyptus across the SART just north of the Edna Park entrance I came across Fri am easy detour up & around the ice plant embankment it hadn't been coned or taped off yet.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 11-29-21, 11:26 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
gravel ride from Black Mt. to Double peaks San Marcos and return through lake hodges. Lots of steep n slow climbing

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 11-30-21, 02:06 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
Did 43 miles on Saturday with my buddy Manny66, from Pico Rivera down to Seal Beach and back on the SG River bike path. Good weather, mild winds, and we saw a coyote wandering around Old Town SB while we were eating breakfast. Averaged 16.2 mph the whole way, which, for an old Clyde like me, was pretty good. Manny wasn’t even breathing hard.
Likes For giffenf:
Old 11-30-21, 03:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Friday I rode 27 miles from my house to Fern Truck Trail near JPL. In addition I bumped into some wildlife on the trail, thankfully none with sharp teeth! Also the MTB'ers are always surprised I ride a "road bike" up the trail!

To be honest I'm surprised other gravel bikes can climb this trail properly. I'm running a 2x 46:30t and an 11-42t + GoatLink, so my low gear is 30:42 and it's still a workout! Running a 1x gravel bike you'd need something like a 38t + 11-50t to match my gear ratio. I'm helping a friend swap out his groupset with something with better climbing, but even then, he'd have to run a fairly big cassette while still having a decent high gear when we ride the streets.

Looks familiar...

This was the day after Thanksgiving.

If you stick to the fire roads, it's totally rideable on a gravel/CX bike, as you have found. I would not recommend El Priteo Canyon Trail, however. I would also not recommend those roads for a road bike. There are a few sections on Fern that are rocky enough to be a problem.
Old 11-30-21, 05:19 PM
diphthong

22-spot loop of mesa grande from santa ysabel. nice day. low traffic once off ca hwy 79. pavement on mesa grande a consistent 7.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6327559051
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-30-21, 11:28 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Eric F
Looks familiar...

This was the day after Thanksgiving.

If you stick to the fire roads, it's totally rideable on a gravel/CX bike, as you have found. I would not recommend El Priteo Canyon Trail, however. I would also not recommend those roads for a road bike. There are a few sections on Fern that are rocky enough to be a problem.
I already tried the downhill on El Prieto with my gravel bike! It's definitely rocky with lots of baby heads and some section need to be walked with a rigid frame bike. Though I am thinking of doing the trail climb to the Mt. Wilson Observatory. I'm getting extra bottle holders and some more cycling layers to attempt the climb. After I do the trail, I want to do the road climb as well!
Old 12-01-21, 10:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
I already tried the downhill on El Prieto with my gravel bike! It's definitely rocky with lots of baby heads and some section need to be walked with a rigid frame bike. Though I am thinking of doing the trail climb to the Mt. Wilson Observatory. I'm getting extra bottle holders and some more cycling layers to attempt the climb. After I do the trail, I want to do the road climb as well!
There's a few different ways to get to Wilson. On the dirt, the best is probably the Mt. Wilson Toll Rd (no toll required), starting at Eaton Canyon. I'm not sure what the condition of things is, though. There may be some pretty rough sections.
Old 12-04-21, 08:18 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
22-spot loop of mesa grande from santa ysabel. nice day. low traffic once off ca hwy 79. pavement on mesa grande a consistent 7.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6327559051
Looking for more post to get excited about riding in N.SD area.
I noticed that heading north from Little Italy has a climb close to 20% but not sure how long ?
I will be riding for several weeks over the holidays

Last edited by joesch; 12-04-21 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-04-21, 01:09 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by joesch
Looking for more post to get excited about riding in N.SD area.
I noticed that heading north from Little Italy has a climb close to 20% but not sure how long ?
I will be riding for several weeks over the holidays
if you’re talking about the little italy area adjacent to dtown san diego, there are a few clustered streets heading east from there up to balboa park. kalmia, juniper and laurel streets all have steep stretches that go on for two blocks. laurel has the steepest one block stretch and carries way more traffic than both kalmia and juniper combined. laurel also has a stop light at the bottom and the head-on approach to the hill is a little steep as well with bleepy pavement.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-04-21, 08:21 PM
jonathanf2

I just did 30 miles today here in LA with mostly hill climbing, but I'm starting to get bored riding around my neighborhood. I ride the Griffith Observatory almost religiously, but I think I need to ride in other areas, but I'm not too keen road riding through dense urban areas. I'm a fairly alert and fast response rider, but lately I've noticed an uptick in more aggressive LA drivers and try plotting routes that keep me fairly safe roads. Plus I have a family and I just don't have time for group ride activities which either consist of mostly young singles with free-time or older riders who love ride times when I'm still sleeping. I'm in that middle-of-age cycling rut! Sometimes I just want to ride out the door and listen to my tunes.
Old 12-10-21, 06:37 PM
2seven0

Crisp clear solitary early ride out Santiago Cyn Road this morning. Turned up Marguerite Parkway off El Toro then down to Vista del Lago. Up over the short hill (wish there was more road to scrub off speed) to Los Alisos then to Trabuco & back home. Nice thing about south county is every road is new & has a bike lane so million ways to wander about.
Just before the end of Bake Parkway there are developments stacking in along the corridor west of the 405. There's a new MUP off Alfonso which snakes around then connects to the south end of the San Diego Creek trail. Hardly anyone on it on a chilly Friday morning although when the condos are finished I suspect a crowd of pedestrians on summer weekends.
Little over 76 miles total.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 12-10-21, 07:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by 2seven0
Crisp clear solitary early ride out Santiago Cyn Road this morning.
2seven0 Watch out for extreme speeders on Santiago Canyon Road; does it have a bike lane all the way from Jamboree to El Toro Road?
Old 12-10-21, 07:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Only 34 miles but 4 climbs for this Almost Clydesdale this afternoon!

Eastbound on Portola Parkway, climbed Orchard Hills loop, continued eastbound on Portola Parkway, even managed (for the first time) to pass another road cyclist on the climb! Right turn onto Whispering Hills, zoom down Portola Springs, then a left on Modjeska followed by another left to head east on Irvine Boulevard. Right turn onto Alton Parkway, another right onto Technology Drive West, short span on Laguna Canyon Road to head south on Sand Canyon Avenue to cross I-405. (This last part was a bit scary; from Technology Drive West I should have turned left onto Laguna Canyon Road southbound to cross I-405 and take Quail Hill Parkway to get back onto Sand Canyon southbound.) Climbed Shady Canyon Trail Bikeway and took it all the way until it ended onto Anteater Drive. Rode through U.C. Irvine to see all the students studying for finals. Right turn onto East Peltason Drive, then left turn onto Harvard Avenue northbound all the way (past Walnut Avenue) onto Peters Canyon Regional Trail & Bikeway northbound, including the final climb up to Portola Parkway again.

Wahoo iOS app says 1,916 feet of elevation gain, but the same data exported to Strava iOS app is reflected only as 1,446 feet of elevation gain!?!? A difference of 470 feet!?!? How the heck am I supposed to figure out when I will be strong enough to make it all the way up to Santiago Canyon Road to join 2seven0 in the future (if he would let me tag along)!?!?

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 12-11-21 at 04:06 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-10-21, 07:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Looking at my prior rides through the UCI area, I should have ditched the Shady Canyon Trail Bikeway by turning right onto Sunnyhill, then right onto Turtle Rock Drive to climb that all the way until the right turn onto Campus Drive.

I guess I should subscribe to Strava to I can use its route mapping feature. Next time, 5 climbs.
Old 12-10-21, 11:22 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Only 34 miles but 4 climbs for this Almost Clydesdale this afternoon!

Eastbound on Portola Parkway, climbed Orchard Hills loop, continued eastbound on Portola Parkway, even managed (for the first time) to pass another road cyclist on the climb! Right turn onto Whispering Hills, zoom down Portola Springs, then a left on Modjeska followed by another left to head east on Irvine Boulevard. Right turn onto Alton Parkway, another right onto Technology Drive West, short span on Laguna Canyon Road to head south on Sand Canyon Avenue to cross I-405. (This last part was a bit scary; from Technology Drive West I should have turned left onto Laguna Canyon Road southbound to cross I-405 and take Quail Hill Parkway to get back onto Sand Canyon southbound.) Climbed Shady Canyon Trail Bikeway and took it all the way until it ended onto Anteater Drive. Rode through U.C. Irvine to see all the students studying for finals. Right turn onto East Peltason Drive, then left turn onto Harvard Avenue northbound all the way (past Walnut Avenue) onto Peters Canyon Regional Trail & Bikeway northbound, including the final climb up to Portola Parkway again.

Wahoo iOS app says 1,916 feet of elevation gain, but the same data exported to Strava iOS app is reflected only as 1,446 feet of elevation gain!?!? A difference of 479 feet!?!? How the heck am I supposed to figure out when I will be strong enough to make it all the way up to Santiago Canyon Road to join 2seven0 in the future (if he would let me tag along)!?!?
go for it. no really steep sections heading north to south…mostly just fairly easy grades. toughest grade heading the opposite way is from cook’s corner to just past modjeska. it’s a decently long stretch w/o support (unless you head up silverado) along the way. there are places to stop along either end tho. this time of year, you should be good. can heat up pretty good out there in the summer/fall.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-11-21, 01:51 PM
2seven0

2seven0 Watch out for extreme speeders on Santiago Canyon Road; does it have a bike lane all the way from Jamboree to El Toro Road?
Since I now take Fridays off I only ride it then. There isn't much commuter traffic @ 8-9 am timeframe especially past the toll roads. No weekend car-club rallies or squids who think they know how to drive to deal with. Also almost no other cyclists especially in cooler months it's rare I pass or get passed.
Pavement is pristine end-to-end & the bike lane is plenty wide. It''s only @ 12 miles from Jamboree to the bend at Cooks Corner. Mostly rolling terrain no gradients overly steep or long.
Judging by some of your routes (I've ridden many of the same roads) I don't think you'd have any issues.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 12-11-21, 04:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by 2seven0
Since I now take Fridays off I only ride it then. There isn't much commuter traffic @ 8-9 am timeframe especially past the toll roads. No weekend car-club rallies or squids who think they know how to drive to deal with. Also almost no other cyclists especially in cooler months it's rare I pass or get passed.
Pavement is pristine end-to-end & the bike lane is plenty wide. It''s only @ 12 miles from Jamboree to the bend at Cooks Corner. Mostly rolling terrain no gradients overly steep or long.
Judging by some of your routes (I've ridden many of the same roads) I don't think you'd have any issues.
West
Thank you. The problem for me is not Santiago Canyon Road per se; it's whether I would have any legs left after climbing Jamboree from Portola to Santiago Canyon Road.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-12-21, 05:54 AM
diphthong

Thank you. The problem for me is not Santiago Canyon Road per se; it's whether I would have any legs left after climbing Jamboree from Portola to Santiago Canyon Road.
then just nibble at it from either end. sure...it seems daunting, but after hitting a mile or three of it from either end and retreating, you'll eventually realize you can do it.
could just start near the corner of jamboree and santiago canyon road (scr). both silverado canyon road and modjeska canyon road enroute are amongst the most scenic
orange county roads as well. the scenery (esp with the greenery in spring) can distract from difficulties. scr (along with the nearby/accompanying live oak road) is a must-do stretch in so cal.
Likes For diphthong:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.