Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddles!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 04:57 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
How's the padding under the seat bones on this one ? I'm really feeling the seat bone soreness this year, and have been hunting around for an economical saddle with better padding,
SO MUCH BETTER than my Ritchey WCS Streem. Based on what I know about saddles I guess it would fall into the medium padding category.
Likes For ctpres:
Old 04-12-19, 05:17 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Thanks for the speedy reply ! But, I can't really gauge it based on that Ritchie saddle, not being familiar with the Ritchie. Is the Ritchie particularly hard, or is this one just a lot more comfortable?
Thanks again......

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-12-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 06:08 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
My current most comfortable saddle is an SLR with a cutout. It has also been my least comfortable saddle. I felt that it had potential to be perfect but I never really got it right. Was sore and bruised and frustrated.

Near the end of my road riding season last summer I gave it another chance. This tweak struck gold. I’m incredibly happy with the fit now. 8 plus hour rides and I can think of riding again the next day.

My gravel has a Fabric Line Shallow. Same thing, it feels like it can be perfect but isn’t yet. Again, not giving up on it. I’m going to take some time, maybe get it on a trainer, and fiddle with it. Im pretty sure that it’s going to turn out great.

i mention this as a rebuttal to the folks that say you need to try a zillion seats. Maybe you do, more likely, you need to adjust it a zillion times and ride it after each tweak.
Old 04-12-19, 06:24 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Just got an ISM saddle. Looks goofy but is so comfy. I got the PR 2.0, offers enough padding for me. I think I'd fall into a similiar category as you in terms of riding style. My average ride is about 50 miles at 15-16 mphs. If you live near a dealer try I would try a demo first. My understanding with the ISM saddles is either you love em or hate em. I was able to borrow a friends. Good luck.
Old 09-18-21, 09:52 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Personal choice, but Brooks B17 works for me. I have several B17s, and one Brooks Professional. For some reason, sometimes the Pro feels strange, other times OK. I guess I'm not pro material.

Same. I only have one bike on which the Professional feels right, but B-17s work on anything.
Old 09-18-21, 09:54 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by ctpres
My next test will be the Selle SMP Hell- Name changed to Well for $139. Just clicked Buy and it will be here Sunday yes Sunday delivery.
I’ve considered that saddle as the shape reminds me of my WTB Pure V, except for the cutout.

The WTB is fine for shorter rides, but I would like something a little better for longer rides.

John
Old 09-18-21, 10:00 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Here is a good rule to follow... As soon as you find a saddle that is comfortable for you, get another, or even two or three. I found a cheap saddle with minimal padding from ARS that was listed as a Woman's Saddle. It has turned out to be most comfortable and I immediately ordered another. My three favorite bikes have this cheap generic saddle that is no longer made...

Originally Posted by Rolla
...B-17s work on anything.