Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Restaurant delivery car parked in bike lane. Posted picture on Google map reviews.

Old 05-06-21, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Where does that define bicycle? (It doesn't define "bicycle" at all.)

Bicycles are not "road vehicles". "Road vehicles" have motors (the law is explicit about that).

That bicycles are not "road vehicles" does not mean they are not vehicles.

This law is talking about "vehicles" (not "road vehicles" specifically).

It's weird to refer to these things as "bicycles" of any sort.

No, that's incorrect.

It says these are "passenger vehicle". "passenger vehicle" is a "motor vehicle" and "road vehicle" that carries passengers.

A bicycle is not a "motor vehicle" or a "road vehicle" or a "passenger vehicle" because it has no motor. That does not mean it's not a vehicle.

=======================

But you are so terrible at it!

Well, this rises to such a level of stupid, I can't resist rubbing it in

If they are not "road vehicles", what type of vehicles are they? Apparently ones that aren't useable on the road. Why would want to get to this result?

Obviously, you miss the point entirely--why are you guys bending over backwards to ignore that there is a specific provision stating that signs can be placed to enforce no parking or stopping in a bike lane, and a statement in the statute that those signs are enforceable?

Also, by your logic, the absence of a statement that bicycles are farm animals does not mean that bicycles are not farm animals.
As bicycles are not defined, I guess I could argue that a chicken on roller skates is a bicycle, right?

If you want me to pick out all of the times the code says "bicycles or road vehicles", I can, but that's an explicit acknowledgment in the code that they are not the same category, and I ask you again, if bicycles are not road vehicles, what type of vehicles are they? This is within the four corners of the code, not what you think it should be.

Oh and btw, Section 1 of the code: "This Code governs the use of vehicles on public highways and, in specified cases, on certain private roads and lands, and pedestrian, cyclist and other road user traffic on public highways."

Cyclists are not using vehicles by any sane reading of that. Cyclists are "road user traffic on public highways."

When you actually can read a code and figure out the structural logic, get back to us. Your analysis would actually hurt bicyclists, not help them. Good thing it's completely inconsistent with every single reference to bicycles in the code.
Old 05-06-21, 09:40 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If they are not "road vehicles", what type of vehicles are they? Apparently ones that aren't useable on the road. Why would want to get to this result?
The actual text of the law says that "road vehicles" are "motor vehicles".

So, obviously, bicycles are vehicles without motors.

Anyway, you argued that bicycles weren't vehicles (in Quebec law) but, here, are saying that they are! Even more, you are actually arguing that bicycles have motors!

Originally Posted by the actual text in the law
road vehicle means a motor vehicle that can be driven on a highway, other than a vehicle that runs only on rails, a power-assisted bicycle or an electrically propelled wheelchair; a trailer, a semi-trailer or a detachable axle is defined as a road vehicle;
This is within the four corners of the code, not what you think it should be.
I've quoted the law multiple times!

The actual text of the law says that "road vehicles" are "motor vehicles"!

Also, by your logic, the absence of a statement that bicycles are farm animals does not mean that bicycles are not farm animals.
As bicycles are not defined, I guess I could argue that a chicken on roller skates is a bicycle, right?
No, that's just you misunderstanding things.

The basic difference between a moped and a bicycle is that one has a motor or not.

If a moped (with a motor) is a "vehicle with a motor" (the same thing as "motor vehicle"), it isn't hard to see a bicycle as a "vehicle without a motor".

Your talk about "farm animals" is dumb.

Oh and btw, Section 1 of the code: "This Code governs the use of vehicles on public highways and, in specified cases, on certain private roads and lands, and pedestrian, cyclist and other road user traffic on public highways."

Cyclists are not using vehicles by any sane reading of that. Cyclists are "road user traffic on public highways."
It isn't saying cyclists aren't using vehicles (it doesn't say they are either). Obviously, drivers of motor vehicles "road user traffic on public highways" too. So, that phrase doesn't preclude using a vehicle, obviously.

Given the "skill" you are displaying here, I'd expect that you would make that argument!

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-06-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-06-21, 09:58 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
That is incorrect. The code does not say this is a complete list of vehicles. Section 4 just defines certain terms used in the code among them different classes of vehicle. For whatever reason the legislature didn't include a definition for "bicycle" even though the word is used frequently.
livedarklions doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 05-06-21, 10:09 AM
njkayaker

If they are not "road vehicles", what type of vehicles are they?
Saying bicycles are vehicles.

Cyclists are not using vehicles by any sane reading of that.
Saying bicycles are not vehicles.

Bicycles are not classified as any type of vehicle....

You aren't making any sense.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-06-21 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 12:04 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Again, the code does not define vehicles, it lists all of the categories of vehicles, and defines the categories by listing ALL of the types of vehicles in those categories. ​​​​​​
The basis of your argument is that the different categories of vehicles mentioned in section 4 is absolute. And that a bicycle is not a vehicle because the legislation doesn't explicitly say so or provide a definition. Both are false.

If the legislature had intended section 4 to represent a complete and absolute enumeration of legally recognized vehicles they would have said so. But they didn't. Instead terms like "road vehicle" and "heavy vehicle" are listed alongside the terms "farmer" and "drug" all of which have specific legal definitions.

When the law says "bicycle" they mean a two wheeled vehicle powered by pedals like it says in the dictionary. The law does not need to tell us what a word means when the standard definition is sufficient.

Section 4; road vehicles, emergency vehicles, heavy vehicles, farmers, etc.
4. In this Code, unless the context indicates otherwise,
“automobile considered to be a taxi” means a qualified automobile within the meaning of section 9 of the Act respecting remunerated passenger transportation by automobile (chapter T-11.2) when it is used to offer remunerated passenger transportation;
“autonomous vehicle” means a road vehicle equipped with an automated driving system that can operate a vehicle at driving automation level 3, 4 or 5 of the SAE International’s Standard J3016;
“bicycle boulevard” means all or part of a public highway on which bicycle traffic is facilitated;
“bus” means a motor vehicle, other than a minibus, designed for the transportation of more than nine occupants at a time and used mainly for that purpose or equipped with devices to secure wheelchairs against movement;
“combination of road vehicles” means a combination of vehicles consisting of a motorized road vehicle drawing a trailer, a semi-trailer or a detachable axle;
“commercial vehicle” means a motor vehicle mainly used for the transportation of property;
“drug” includes cannabis and the other substances included in the types of drugs listed in subsection 5 of section 320.28 of the Criminal Code (R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46);
“emergency vehicle” means a road vehicle used as a police car in accordance with the Police Act (chapter P-13.1), a road vehicle used as an ambulance in accordance with the Act respecting pre-hospital emergency services (chapter S-6.2), a fire safety vehicle, or any other road vehicle which meets the criteria established by regulation for recognition as an emergency vehicle by the Société;
“farmer” means a natural person who is a member of an association certified under the Farm Producers Act (chapter P-28), a person who is the owner or the lessee of a farm and whose principal activity is agriculture, or an agricultural cooperative governed by the Cooperatives Act (chapter C-67.2) whose object is the use of agricultural equipment by its members;
“health care professional” means a person holding a permit or licence issued by one of the following professional orders, and who is entered on the roll of that order:
(1) Ordre professionnel des médecins du Québec;
(2) Ordre professionnel des optométristes du Québec;
(3) Ordre professionnel des psychologues du Québec;
(4) Ordre professionnel des ergothérapeutes du Québec;
(5) Ordre professionnel des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec;
“heavy vehicle” means a heavy vehicle within the meaning of the Act respecting owners, operators and drivers of heavy vehicles (chapter P-30.3);
“low-speed vehicle” means a motor vehicle having not more than four seats, belonging to the “low-speed vehicle” class defined in the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038) and bearing a compliance label required by those Regulations;
“minibus” means a motor vehicle having two axles with single wheels and equipped with not more than five rows of seats for the transportation of more than nine occupants at a time, or equipped with devices to secure wheelchairs against movement;
“moped” means a passenger vehicle having two or three wheels and a maximum speed of 70 km/h, equipped with an electric motor or a motor having a piston displacement of not more than 50 cm3 and with an automatic transmission;
“motorcycle” means a passenger vehicle, other than a power-assisted bicycle, having two or three wheels that has at least one characteristic different from the characteristics of a moped;
“motor vehicle” means a motorized road vehicle primarily adapted for the transportation of persons or property;
“municipality” means a local municipality and also an metropolitan community or a regional county municipality where, under its constituent Act, it exercises its jurisdiction in respect of a public highway with regard to a matter contemplated in this Code;
“off-highway vehicle” means a vehicle to which the Act respecting off-highway vehicles (chapter V-1.2) applies;
“passenger vehicle” means a motor vehicle designed for the transportation of not more than nine occupants at a time, where such transportation does not require a permit from the Commission des transports du Québec;
“personalized registration plate” means a registration plate bearing a number chosen by the applicant;
“pound” means a place determined by a municipality or by the Société as a place to which road vehicles seized by a peace officer on behalf of the Société are taken;
“power-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle that has an electric motor;
“public highway” means the surface of land or of a structure, the maintenance of which is entrusted to a municipality, a government or one of its agencies, over part of which one or more roadways open to public vehicular traffic and, where such is the case, one or more cycle lanes are laid out, except
(1) highways under the administration of or maintained by the Ministère des Ressources naturelles et de la Faune or the Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation,
(2) highways under construction or repair, but only with respect to vehicles assigned to the construction or repair, and
(3) highways which the Government determines, under section 5.2, as being exempt from the application of this Code;
“road vehicle” means a motor vehicle that can be driven on a highway, other than a vehicle that runs only on rails, a power-assisted bicycle or an electrically propelled wheelchair; a trailer, a semi-trailer or a detachable axle is defined as a road vehicle;
“roadway” means that part of a public highway ordinarily used for vehicular traffic;
“shared street” means all or part of a public highway on which pedestrian traffic has priority;
“taxi” means an automobile referred to in section 144 of the Act respecting remunerated passenger transportation by automobile (chapter T-11.2);
“tool vehicle” means a road vehicle, other than a vehicle mounted on a truck chassis, manufactured to perform work and the work station of which is an integral part of the driver’s compartment. For the purposes of this definition, a truck chassis is a frame equipped with all the mechanical components required on a road vehicle designed for the transportation of persons, goods or equipment;
“tow truck” means a motor vehicle equipped to lift and tow a road vehicle or to load a road vehicle onto its platform.isn't. It's merely a list of terms that appear in the text and are defined
Old 05-06-21, 01:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Old 05-06-21, 01:27 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by gear64
I'm not a fan of shaming culture. You could call the police, but they likely have better things to do. You could confront them, but is it really worth losing your life over if they have serious anger management issues and can out man you or out gun you. You can't fix ignorance. At least not in the moment. The sad fact is people are a little less respectful of other people with every passing year. In my city surrounding metro included it feels like there's at least one gun killing a day in the crime section, often mutiples; especially weekends. It's not just the so called seedy areas any more either. Even cyclists are disrespectful of other cyclists. Recently a cyclist was lounging in and perpendicular to the the bike lane shooting the **** with his buddies after some event. Looked right at me then went right back to chatting didn't move an inch even though it meant me swerving into oncoming traffic. In the flash of second I thought I could t-bone him and ruin both our days or let it go. I let it go finishing an otherwise great ride in a happy state.

I'm a believer in the broken window theory. And shaming doesn't just educate scofflaws. It sends a message to others that things we might do casually can have consequences.

If we can educate the 90% of people who are not macho thugs and dangerous lunatics to behave more cordially then the bad element can be better kept in check.
Old 05-06-21, 02:01 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I'm a believer in the broken window theory. And shaming doesn't just educate scofflaws. It sends a message to others that things we might do casually can have consequences.

If we can educate the 90% of people who are not macho thugs and dangerous lunatics to behave more cordially then the bad element can be better kept in check.
So, did your posting the picture result in the desired crowd of people with tar and feathers and torches and pitchforks?
Old 05-06-21, 02:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Blanket answer to the silly insistence that a bicycle must be legally (not dictionary) a "vehicle" in order for the parking ban in the bike lane to be effective:

I defy you to come up with any reason why this doesn't say that parking or stopping in the bike lane can be prohibited:

"295.The person responsible for the maintenance of a public highway may, by means of the proper signs or signals...
(4) reserve traffic lanes for certain manoeuvres or for the exclusive use of bicycles, certain classes of road vehicles or road vehicles carrying the number of passengers indicated by proper signs;"

"386. Except in cases of necessity or where another provision of this Code permits it, no person may stop a road vehicle
(9) at any place where parking is prohibited by a sign erected in accordance with this Code."

If you can't do that, you have no business telling me I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure all you need for that to be effective is to define a bicycle as being a bicycle.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-06-21 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 03:45 PM
njkayaker

Blanket answer to the silly insistence that a bicycle must be legally (not dictionary) a "vehicle" in order for the parking ban in the bike lane to be effective:

No one is "insisting" this. You failed to understand what the law said!

I defy you to come up with any reason why this doesn't say that parking or stopping in the bike lane can be prohibited:
??? I never claimed that it doesn't.

If you can't do that, you have no business telling me I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure all you need for that to be effective is to define a bicycle as being a bicycle.
You managed to claim that a bicycle was a motor/road vehicle and not a vehicle in Quebec!

================================

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-06-21 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 03:50 PM
njkayaker

The basis of your argument is that the different categories of vehicles mentioned in section 4 is absolute. And that a bicycle is not a vehicle because the legislation doesn't explicitly say so or provide a definition. Both are false.
Livedarklions claimed that a bicycle was a road/motor vehicle and not a vehicle according to the Quebec law.

I would not call that an "argument".

It's not worth trying to make sense of what he said.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-06-21 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 05:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No one is "insisting" this. You failed to understand what the law said!

??? I never claimed that it doesn't.

You managed to claim that a bicycle was a motor/road vehicle and not a vehicle in Quebec!

================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Saying bicycles are not vehicles..

Are you seriously so illiterate that you don't understand what a rhetorical question is? Asking you to explain what type of vehicle you think they are if they are not road vehicles is not asserting that bicycles are vehicles, it's a rhetorical question to point out the bad place your logic led to using the terminology of the code. Are you simulating being that thick or does it just come naturally to you?

​​​​​​Yes, I actually think bikes are road vehicles, but this law is not drafted to suit my or your rhetorical preferences.

Maybe this is too hard for you, so I'll explain it slower-- you and the other guy are both asserting that under the code bicycles are vehicles, but clearly not road vehicles. I asked you if that's true what kind of vehicles are they? Because I really would rather have bicycles classified as bicycles than as non-road vehicles.

Here's the question as I asked it in context without your clueless or dishonest editing:

"If they are not "road vehicles", what type of vehicles are they? Apparently ones that aren't useable on the road. Why would want to get to this result?"

Get it now?

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-06-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 08:39 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
So, did your posting the picture result in the desired crowd of people with tar and feathers and torches and pitchforks?
Not yet. But the picture has almost 200 views. The chickens will have their day.
Old 05-07-21, 08:49 AM
njkayaker

Are you seriously so illiterate that you don't understand what a rhetorical question is? Asking you to explain what type of vehicle you think they are if they are not road vehicles is not asserting that bicycles are vehicles, it's a rhetorical question to point out the bad place your logic led to using the terminology of the code. Are you simulating being that thick or does it just come naturally to you?
You aren't making any sense and you aren't getting any better.

The Quebec law says that road vehicles are vehicles with motors.

Since you think bicycles are-not/are* vehicles in Quebec, the "rhetorical" question is silly.

(* You still haven't explained this bizarre contradiction of yours.)

Given how long it took you to reply, I figure that "rhetorical" is a new word for you. But, given you expected an answer, you are misusing the term!

road vehicle means a motor vehicle that can be driven on a highway, other than a vehicle that runs only on rails, a power-assisted bicycle or an electrically propelled wheelchair; a trailer, a semi-trailer or a detachable axle is defined as a road vehicle;
You keep missing this and yet you imagine it's other people who are illiterate!

Reading the actual text of the law, claiming that bicycles are road vehicles (because, "what else?", I guess) is wackadoodle.

"If they are not "road vehicles", what type of vehicles are they? Apparently ones that aren't useable on the road. Why would want to get to this result?"

This is just bizarre.

​​​​​​Yes, I actually think bikes are road vehicles, but this law is not drafted to suit my or your rhetorical preferences.
So what? People were talking about what the law said. It is irrelevant what you think are vehicles or not. Going on about "what you actually think" is something people who can't read statutes do.

=======================

What the heck happened to me being on ignore?

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-07-21 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-07-21, 04:20 PM
homeless in ca.

Another incident on the notorious Rue Brebeuf. This time I had the action camera rolling.

Old 05-07-21, 04:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
All this crap about parking laws and literacy and we aren't doing that guy for jaywalking?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-07-21, 08:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You aren't making any sense and you aren't getting any better.

The Quebec law says that road vehicles are vehicles with motors.

Since you think bicycles are-not/are* vehicles in Quebec, the "rhetorical" question is silly.

(* You still haven't explained this bizarre contradiction of yours.)

Given how long it took you to reply, I figure that "rhetorical" is a new word for you. But, given you expected an answer, you are misusing the term!

You keep missing this and yet you imagine it's other people who are illiterate!

Reading the actual text of the law, claiming that bicycles are road vehicles (because, "what else?", I guess) is wackadoodle.

This is just bizarre.

So what? People were talking about what the law said. It is irrelevant what you think are vehicles or not. Going on about "what you actually think" is something people who can't read statutes do.

=======================

What the heck happened to me being on ignore?

Let's recap. I'm right that the law doesn't define bikes as any kind of vehicle (you've admitted that), I'm right about which provisions in the law forbid parking in the bike lane (you've admitted that too) but I'm wrong about what? That the law doesn't define bikes as not-vehicles? That's completely meaningless, but you've now posted variants of it about 10 times now. OP doesn't realize it, but you actually agreed with me and disagreed with him. You're just too dishonest and small to admit it.

Frankly your bit about me supposedly contradicting myself is so half-baked that I really can't figure out how someone who thinks that's a gotcha could manage to dress himself in the morning. There are no provisions in that entire code that apply to "vehicles". Every single one refers to a category or categories of vehicle, and by weird coincidence, every single one of those categories contain vehicles with motors and no vehicles without motors. So you seem to want to insist on the possibility that the code is secretly recognizing bicycles as vehicles. My question was rhetorical because the whole point of the question is showing there's no good answer within the terminology of the code. And yes, I really don't see why you would want to emphasize that the code is using " road" as a synonym for "motor".

You're a troll. You've succeeded in annoying me. Mazel tov.

Keep posting your crap. I'm done reading it for real now.
Old 05-07-21, 08:26 PM
njkayaker

Let's recap. I'm right that the law doesn't define bikes as any kind of vehicle (you've admitted that), I'm right about which provisions in the law forbid parking in the bike lane (you've admitted that too) but I'm wrong about what? That the law doesn't define bikes as not-vehicles? That's completely meaningless, but you've now posted variants of it about 10 times now. OP doesn't realize it, but you actually agreed with me and disagreed with him. You're just too dishonest and small to admit it.

Frankly your bit about me supposedly contradicting myself is so half-baked that I really can't figure out how someone who thinks that's a gotcha could manage to dress himself in the morning. There are no provisions in that entire code that apply to "vehicles". Every single one refers to a category or categories of vehicle, and by weird coincidence, every single one of those categories contain vehicles with motors and no vehicles without motors. So you seem to want to insist on the possibility that the code is secretly recognizing bicycles as vehicles. My question was rhetorical because the whole point of the question is showing there's no good answer within the terminology of the code. And yes, I really don't see why you would want to emphasize that the code is using " road" as a synonym for "motor".

You're a troll. You've succeeded in annoying me. Mazel tov.

Keep posting your crap. I'm done reading it for real now.
More nonsense.
Old 05-07-21, 09:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Another incident on the notorious Rue Brebeuf. This time I had the action camera rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPI0MvTNzZU

You have a rather broad definition of "incident". ZZZZ
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-21, 05:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Unless I am interpreting the signs incorrectly, they prohibit stopping except in the case of buses in the zone where the delivery car is stopped.

The reason I asked the question is because the other day there was a discussion about cars in buke lanes on a local FB group. One person claimed that he puts stickers on car windows that are parked in bike lanes. I pointed out that such behavior is not always a traffic violation (i.e., it's legal). I am not sure someone who would vandalize cars really cares if they target people acting legally, but I felt compelled to clue him in just in case.

I am a member of one of those groups. They are forever butthurt over something. They will go on a rant about a delivery driver using the bike lane to make a delivery when there is literally no other reasonable place to stop.
Old 05-08-21, 05:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

I believe we stand to alienate and aggravate otherwise respectful motorists when we stomp our feet for no reason. If the google street view you posted earlier is the location of the "offense" I can't imagine traffic being so bad that I would be at risk riding around. I am not sure I have a good feel for the overall picture, but if it is what I think it is, people are rolling their eyes at us.

I drive down section of I-10 where the posted speed limit is 60. Traffic speeds average better than 70 most of the time. Should I call this in or go to efforts to shame the drivers? The broken window theory says I should right?

If you want to try to make things better and educate the drivers, provide comments on where the best stopping alternative would be.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-08-21, 07:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Anyone else do this?

Anyone else do this?

I was out for a ride and a delivery car belonging to a local restaurant chain was parked in the bike lane. The car was literally parked on top of the bicycle pictogram, next to two no stopping signs and a sign indicating bike lane. Since I didn't have my action camera on I whipped out my phone and took a few pictures. The driver was walking back to the car so I got him in the frame unintentionally. But oh well I told him not to park in the bike lane and posted it on the restaurants Google maps page.

I've done this a few times before. If I see somebody doing something I don't like or catch some road raging maniac on my dashcam and there's a company name on the side of his pickup it's going on Google.
Not me. I've got better things to be worried and upset about. I'd just navigate around or already be in the lane anyway and let it roll. Just like when reading / posting on BF. Let it roll. But if correcting these slights is your thing I've no issue with that. Go get 'em!
Old 05-08-21, 03:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Not only do I report commercial vehicles to their companies, I ride with the cars, but slowly until the bike lane is clear for me to get back in.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-08-21, 04:37 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am a member of one of those groups. They are forever butthurt over something. They will go on a rant about a delivery driver using the bike lane to make a delivery when there is literally no other reasonable place to stop.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I believe we stand to alienate and aggravate otherwise respectful motorists when we stomp our feet for no reason. If the google street view you posted earlier is the location of the "offense" I can't imagine traffic being so bad that I would be at risk riding around. I am not sure I have a good feel for the overall picture, but if it is what I think it is, people are rolling their eyes at us.

I drive down section of I-10 where the posted speed limit is 60. Traffic speeds average better than 70 most of the time. Should I call this in or go to efforts to shame the drivers? The broken window theory says I should right?

If you want to try to make things better and educate the drivers, provide comments on where the best stopping alternative would be.
Good point. I will update my review and recommend drivers park in the driveway of the adjacent building rather than blocking the bike lane.

In the event there is nowhere to stop then it is the responsibility of businesses and individuals who rely on motor vehicles to find a solution. Restaurants can use e-bikes or scooters to make deliveries. Delivery companies can schedule deliveries when there is less traffic.
Old 05-09-21, 09:39 AM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Not only do I report commercial vehicles to their companies, I ride with the cars, but slowly until the bike lane is clear for me to get back in.

I've negged three different businesses for parking offences and none have responded. I suspect they don't reply because it would acknowledge they are aware of the situation and prove negligence in the event someone is killed or injured as a consequence of their bad habits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.