Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

T-boned

Old 07-28-21, 08:48 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
T-boned

1st- no injuries, little bike damage

I was riding the Kona thru a large retail area; middle of a sunny day. Road was straight & flat. I came across what I would call a business driveway- just a one lane path exiting parking lot & entering roadway. I dont think there was a real stop sign, but an apparent one. Im cruising along > I get about 20' before the driveway > a car is coming out, onto the street > I thought driver will stop and certainly will see me (Im wearing bright yellow/red jersey, screaming yellow tall socks & even have wide orange tape across several spokes of front wheel) > I get directly in front of car, but the car is there too, hitting my bike behind my feet. Driver stopped before causing serious damage (although the chain came off & broke a spoke in rear wheel, causing small wobble). I was so upset/mad I couldnt think straight- didnt think to get the license or call 911 (I dont carry cell). Driver apologized several times; said he didnt see me. Car left; I was able to continue my ride.

What should I have done? I guess driver couldnt be cited since no injuries & little damage. However, he did not stop. How could it have been prevented? I dont think I was in the wrong.
Old 07-28-21, 09:07 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
The law is to stop the licensed vehicle before entering a public throughfare. That means before crossing the sidewalk. Drivers frequently disregard this because of ignorance, improper training, or simple negligence.

I once nearly ended up in a fist fight with a driver blowing straight across a protected bike lane...nearly sending me over the hood. It wasn't worth the fight.

Drivers (& indeed anyone else who is caught being wrong) will just double down on their wrong position.

Low standards of driver licensing is a cultural phenomenon.
Ride where drivers are looking.
Old 07-28-21, 09:08 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
What I do in situations like that is to wave violently and if they wave back, I am fine to keep going; otherwise, I stop. Mostly, I don't ride in places like that as preventative.
Old 07-28-21, 09:17 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Get a Very Bright Strobe Light for The Front of your Bike.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 07-28-21, 09:34 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
I thought driver will stop and certainly will see me
Rule #1 - you are invisible. ALWAYS assume the driver does not see you.

Don't be this guy:
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-28-21, 09:40 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I T-boned a small pickup once, but it was totally his fault and I did dent his truck I was pissed, he was apologetic, since he's the one that pulled out in front of me from a stop sign; I was clearly in the middle of the road easily seen, but I don't think some drivers understand how fast some of us cyclists ride. There was nothing he could do about the dent, since it was totally his fault.

Old 07-28-21, 09:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
What should I have done?
You should have called the cops and asked them to cite the motorist for failure to yield.
Old 07-28-21, 11:23 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
this is the situation I have the most problems with not being so I always assume they don't. whats worse is when they are stopped then go. I got my bike knocked out from under me when the driver was stopped but accidentally went.
Old 07-28-21, 12:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
got a photo of the intersection taken from your point of view approaching the intersection?

here's hoping you weren't on a sidewalk or going the opposite direction of the road traffic. too may unknowns for me to have a suggestion, right now

related? I often ride paved bike trails that have road crossings. I've resigned myself to stopping (as I'm supposed to) at most of them. even tho I often think the drivers traveling perpendicular to me will stop & they mostly do. meaning I often stop when I didn't have to. legally? yes, but physically no
Old 07-28-21, 02:44 PM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
1st- no injuries, little bike damage

I was riding the Kona thru a large retail area; middle of a sunny day. Road was straight & flat. I came across what I would call a business driveway- just a one lane path exiting parking lot & entering roadway. I dont think there was a real stop sign, but an apparent one. Im cruising along > I get about 20' before the driveway > a car is coming out, onto the street > I thought driver will stop and certainly will see me (Im wearing bright yellow/red jersey, screaming yellow tall socks & even have wide orange tape across several spokes of front wheel) > I get directly in front of car, but the car is there too, hitting my bike behind my feet. Driver stopped before causing serious damage (although the chain came off & broke a spoke in rear wheel, causing small wobble). I was so upset/mad I couldnt think straight- didnt think to get the license or call 911 (I dont carry cell). Driver apologized several times; said he didnt see me. Car left; I was able to continue my ride.

What should I have done? I guess driver couldnt be cited since no injuries & little damage. However, he did not stop. How could it have been prevented? I dont think I was in the wrong.

Always ride like they see you and intend to hit you, because sometimes they do.
Old 07-28-21, 05:37 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Always ride like they see you and intend to hit you, because sometimes they do.
I was T boned once and it was intentional. I was in Germany and an American lieutenant ran a traffic light and picked me out of a group of other riders. I slid up the hood and managed to roll off. There was a camera at that light in 1981 and he was picked up by the German police.
Old 07-29-21, 07:15 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
The law is to stop the licensed vehicle before entering a public throughfare. That means before crossing the sidewalk. Drivers frequently disregard this because of ignorance, improper training, or simple negligence.

I once nearly ended up in a fist fight with a driver blowing straight across a protected bike lane...nearly sending me over the hood. It wasn't worth the fight.

Drivers (& indeed anyone else who is caught being wrong) will just double down on their wrong position.

Low standards of driver licensing is a cultural phenomenon.
Ride where drivers are looking.
It also helps if said driveways are built in a way that the driver can see the road *before* pulling across the sidewalk. Unfortunately, cities don't always consider this when it comes to buildings, trees, signs, etc.
Old 07-29-21, 09:08 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
This story sounds like so many others... "I didn't see him." Probably because most drivers have become conditioned to look for other motor vehicles and aren't expecting so see bicycles, so they don't. That's why we become invisible to them.
Old 07-29-21, 09:51 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My suggestion would be to get a front light preferably one that flashes. One of my bikes has the Cateye reflex front safety light. Also, did you bring your bike to a bike shop to check over?
Old 08-05-21, 04:41 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Initially, I 'll get mad and explain to him his mistakes. Though, I admire that he apologized but, when it comes to life and death, apology is not enough.
Anyway, just be more careful next time.
Old 08-07-21, 11:45 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Driveways on the right are a nightmare. I ride rural roads, and try to skirt the driveways as wide as possible, so 1) a driver exiting driveway will see me, and 2) so I can take evasive maneuvers if driver starts to pull out in front of me. Always seems there's a car coming from behind to complicate things and force me to the right.

There's no good solution to this, but I scan every driveway as I'm approaching and brake if I see a hint of movement in direction of road. Usually there's vegetation partially blocking my view. Nightmare, as I said.