Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to make the call on wear and tear?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 10:45 AM
LouiseSJPP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've usually taken my bike to the bike-shop for maintenance, but given that I have practical skills, this seems a bit silly (currently, I'm rebuilding a Triumph Stag differential...). My sticking point at the moment is that my Canyon Endurace must be coming up for replacement of parts of the transmission chain, but how do I tell which parts? How do I gauge the wear of teeth on the rings and cassette to make the judgement call for which need replacing?

Louise
Old 07-30-21, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
It's all on you. What make you feel good about it?

I like to wait till something is actually exhibiting a problem before replacing something. Other than maybe the chain, which I'll replace when it measures 1/16 inch off in 12 inches.

If I happen to be changing something that is a lot of trouble to change and other things that aren't worn enough now, but might be later and are easier to get to because of the other work being done, then I change them out.

If I replace a chain and then have problems with chain skip or something that might be wear of the cassette or chain rings, then I replace them when they show that. Those are easy changes on my bikes.

If you choose to do something sooner I don't care. That's your business. But just don't become one of those preaching doom and gloom for all of us that choose to wait. It's not ever the doom and gloom imagined.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-30-21 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-30-21, 11:03 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I suggest you start by reading some of the articles by the late, great, Sheldon Brown. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/repairs.html
One of the best things about bicycles is how simple they are. You will probably need some special tools, but after that you will be saving a bundle in shop fees.
Old 07-30-21, 11:14 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Get a chain checker. Use chain checker. Replace chain when checker says the chain is worn.
Cassette will be replaced far less regularly than the chain. How often depends on how often you replace your chain and the environment you ride in.
Chainrings will be replaced even less regularly than that (I've never replaced a small chainring since it never gets used since I live in an incredibly flat area).

Some people do a cassette every 3 chains. Some more. If I replace a chain and find I have issues w/ skipping on the cassette, then I replace the cassette.
Chainrings would likely be on an XX,000 mile rotation. You can look at them and see if they are starting to look like shark's teeth.

If you have trouble shifting that adjusting cable tension won't tune out, it may be time for new cable(s). Sometimes crud gets into the housing that causes friction, at which it's time for new housing.
Friction in the cable causing your brakes to not release fully (assuming you don't have hydro brakes)? Same deal as above.

None of it is rocket science.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 07-30-21, 11:18 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by LouiseSJPP
My sticking point at the moment is that my Canyon Endurace must be coming up for replacement of parts of the transmission chain, but how do I tell which parts? How do I gauge the wear of teeth on the rings and cassette to make the judgement call for which need replacing?
Replace the chain when it's elongated too much, which can be measured with a metal ruler.

Replace sprockets when they no longer shift or engage well with a new chain.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-30-21, 11:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Here is a good chain checker. I like these because they are "go/no go" and I don't have to read small numbers and think about it. Some folks prefer rulers. Replace your chain when it's time. Only replace the cassette if a new chain skips. I like chains with reusable links. There is a tool for those as well.

Old 07-31-21, 06:51 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've never owned or used a chain checker. I precision 12 inch rule can be used to check elongation. Place one end of the rule on the edge of a pin. The pin at the opposite end will be completely covered on a new chain. When that covered pin is half exposed, you have a little over 0.5% elongation. I also use calipers to take a measurement between the rollers, at the outer plates. The shortest measurement will be about 1.200 inch with a new chain. Since roller wear does not affect chain pitch, there is no prescribed limit, but 1.220-1.230 is a lot of wear.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-31-21, 03:38 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I've never owned or used a chain checker. I precision 12 inch rule can be used to check elongation. Place one end of the rule on the edge of a pin. The pin at the opposite end will be completely covered on a new chain. When that covered pin is half exposed, you have a little over 0.5% elongation. I also use calipers to take a measurement between the rollers, at the outer plates. The shortest measurement will be about 1.200 inch with a new chain. Since roller wear does not affect chain pitch, there is no prescribed limit, but 1.220-1.230 is a lot of wear.
I had a chain checker. The chain would start skipping before it registered anything. Now I use the ruler.
Old 07-31-21, 06:14 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
And to make it last, keep your chain clean. Wipe off excess lube several times after lubing - wipe, ride, wipe, ride, wipe.

You should be able to eat off that thing. If it's sticky, it'll pick up dust, which works it's way inside the chain and acts like grinding paste.