Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you guys like regular toe straps or velcro better, and why?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-12-12, 07:04 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Bikes: Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Examples of both

Velcro - https://www.pedalconsumption.com/arch...dal_straps.jpg
Nylon - https://www.amazon.com/Eleven81-Nylon.../dp/B001D4WERY

No I am not looking to buy either of the above and if you don't ride with straps then this thread isn't for you.
Old 08-12-12, 07:05 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Laminated leather

/thread

Sure it's a bit more expensive at the start but they'll last you and keep you secure a whole lot longer than the one's you listed.

If you're a bit tight on funds, you don't have to get toshis if you choose to go this path, the exustar deluxe straps will keep you in your pedals just as well as toshis will but at a fraction of the price. You can get them at retrogression.
Old 08-12-12, 07:07 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Laminated leather

/thread

Sure it's a bit more expensive at the start but they'll last you and keep you secure a whole lot longer than the one's you listed.
I actually ride with laminated leather straps as we speak haha. I wasn't really specifying the material as the question, just wanted to know if anyone liked velcro over regular straps by any chance.
Old 08-12-12, 07:08 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Chelseaandannoy
I actually ride with laminated leather straps as we speak haha. I wasn't really specifying the material as the question, just wanted to know if anyone liked velcro over regular straps by any chance.
Ohhhh, velcro then. It's a more pliable material that conforms more easily and comfortably to your feet/ shoe when paired with the material that is usually used with straps that include it. Such as seatbelt material.
Old 08-12-12, 07:08 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
If you do any serious mileage clips/straps are better than just velcro straps like Hold Fasts and so forth. The velcro ones don't allow as consistent foot position, tend to continually stretch, are reliant on you wearing the same shoes and a lot of other issues that pop up once you use them for a while.
Old 08-12-12, 07:18 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
If you do any serious mileage clips/straps are better than just velcro straps like Hold Fasts and so forth. The velcro ones don't allow as consistent foot position, tend to continually stretch, are reliant on you wearing the same shoes and a lot of other issues that pop up once you use them for a while.
I heard about the consistent foot position and the fact that after long use the velcro can start opening and getting weak, especially riding fixed. I like straps to be honest the best. I don't even really like clipless shoes too much.
Old 08-12-12, 07:33 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I like straps to be honest the best.
I like honest straps too. I once had a set that was constantly telling little white lies and it got old real quick.
Old 08-12-12, 07:51 PM
diff

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
After switching to bmx pedals + velcro straps haven't looked back. Waaaay more comfortable. There is a reason so many people use them.

Go for ynot straps if you do.
Old 08-12-12, 08:07 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got Aurora straps for my track pedals. i do like them better than clips/straps, but with either i have to adjust depending on footwear.

may try platforms and Burro or similar.

but, clipless has been a revelation for me. even if my favorite shoes are the notably ugly Shimano MT-22's.
Old 08-12-12, 08:07 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diff
After switching to bmx pedals + velcro straps haven't looked back. Waaaay more comfortable. There is a reason so many people use them.

Go for ynot straps if you do.
Their straps actually look really nice/firm in this video they made for instructions. I like the look of velcro a lot more than straps but I have never used them and I know they can be expensive ha.

I mean if I buy them the worst that could happen is I don't use them haha.
Old 08-12-12, 08:08 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I like honest straps too. I once had a set that was constantly telling little white lies and it got old real quick.
ughhhhhhhhhh haha
Old 08-12-12, 08:09 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RGNY
i got Aurora straps for my track pedals. i do like them better than clips/straps, but with either i have to adjust depending on footwear.

may try platforms and Burro or similar.

but, clipless has been a revelation for me. even if my favorite shoes are the notably ugly Shimano MT-22's.
I saw Aurora under one of the companies who sell velcros. They all seem pretty cool. I was looking to buy RESISTANT pedals from Japan but I can't find them anywhere. Idk I just cannot fathom clipless. I don't like the idea of clipping myself in something haha. I have never ever been stuck in straps before either, like a lot of my friends have.
Old 08-12-12, 08:18 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Their straps actually look really nice/firm in this video they made for instructions. I like the look of velcro a lot more than straps but I have never used them and I know they can be expensive ha.

I mean if I buy them the worst that could happen is I don't use them haha.
The bottom part is triple layer, and they get sandwiched between velcro. So basically even if you step on them, they retain their shape. Just make sure you get a pedal with slots like the one in the video. Something like twisted pc pedals won't work since the straps won't fit through the small slots.

I have reload straps too, but like the ynots better.
Old 08-12-12, 08:18 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw Aurora under one of the companies who sell velcros. They all seem pretty cool. Idk I just cannot fathom clipless. I don't like the idea of clipping myself in something haha. I have never ever been stuck in straps before either, like a lot of my friends have.
the Auroras are quality, if that's the direction you decide to go.

clipless is amazing. it is -adjustable-. i started off on the lightest setting, where a casual flick of the heel releases the cleat. now i have them cranked right down, but i've unclipped in all sorts of hairy situations with no problem. and some mtb cleats ( i use SPD ) allow you to unclip either direction or even straight up. it's just another system, but it feels so good.
Old 08-12-12, 08:39 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Clipless....
Old 08-12-12, 08:52 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
Clipless....
Not one of the options listed by OP.

Aesthetically, I like velcro on some bikes, like on aero-aluminum frames such as an FTP. I think something just looks the tiniest bit weird with clips/straps on bikes like that, not that it's bad, just a little weird.

But in terms of function, I'll take clips/straps over velcro any day, for reasons already mentioned.
Old 08-12-12, 09:05 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
i am a huge fan of leather with steel clips,
they tend to look better with style of bikes I build,
and with the right shoes they tend to be pretty comfortable.
Old 08-12-12, 09:12 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think it would look odd with velcros?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7479smallest.jpg (79.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 08-12-12, 09:18 PM
Street rider
We win all charity rides

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you feel uncomfortable in metal clips, you can use plastic. They have a bit more give to them. More secure than velcro, and just as comfy.
Old 08-12-12, 09:19 PM
Chelseaandannoy
N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diff
The bottom part is triple layer, and they get sandwiched between velcro. So basically even if you step on them, they retain their shape. Just make sure you get a pedal with slots like the one in the video. Something like twisted pc pedals won't work since the straps won't fit through the small slots.

I have reload straps too, but like the ynots better.
So basically i'm looking for BMX pedals? What pedals would you recommend? Someone told me Holdfast has nice pedals but they are all sold out.
Old 08-12-12, 09:34 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Demolition PC or animal PC (the pedals holdfast have on their site) are pretty much the same. Less than $20. Odyssey twisted PC are good too, but won't work with ynot.

Basically all those pedals are the same, just depends on what color you want. Plastic pedals (polycarbonate, hence the PC in the name) with plastic pins.

I have wasted so much money on trying different pedals and turned on $20 bmx pedal were the answer. They don't have horrible ridges that dig into your shoe, and have a nice backside to practice tricks.

If you wanted to spend more there are tons of options. Just make sure they have slots on the sides. Also take a look at the Odyssey pedals so you can get an idea of what kind of slots are bad.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=666

Last edited by diff; 08-12-12 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 11:08 PM
NcA13

Bikes: blkmrkt nsf / GT ZR 3.0 (custom build) / Kona Dawg (custom)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my vote for the ynot's. Easy to set up and mine have been rock solid for the past 4 months of daily riding.

I also like steel clips & leather. IMO... Risers/street = straps. Classic or straight track = clips
Old 08-12-12, 11:37 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i don't like velcro straps and i've only used them twice. maybe i'm close minded but i'd rather have clips and straps any day.

of course, i'd rather have clipless and cycling shoes, and many different bikes... some that use clipless and some that have flats. which is why i do.
Old 08-13-12, 11:40 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
This doesn't make sense. They don't stretch anymore than any other straps. Also they are LESS reliant on you wearing a specific pair of shoes because they are so easy to adjust. I routinely re-adjust my Holdfasts at a stop light depending on what shoes I'm wearing.

They feel more adjustable AND more secure than any clips and straps I've ever used (including laminated doubles). Plus there is no clip to dent on the ground when walking your bike and you get the bit of added toe clearance of not having clips. The width of the strap allows better distribution of pressure on top of your foot if you really crank them down and provides a feeling of power on the upstroke.

They only area I think they are inferior is aesthetics but it's a small price to pay.

Last edited by nightfly; 08-13-12 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:39 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
This doesn't make sense. They don't stretch anymore than any other straps. Also they are LESS reliant on you wearing a specific pair of shoes because they are so easy to adjust. I routinely re-adjust my Holdfasts at a stop light depending on what shoes I'm wearing.

They feel more adjustable AND more secure than any clips and straps I've ever used (including laminated doubles). Plus there is no clip to dent on the ground when walking your bike and you get the bit of added toe clearance of not having clips. The width of the strap allows better distribution of pressure on top of your foot if you really crank them down and provides a feeling of power on the upstroke.

They only area I think they are inferior is aesthetics but it's a small price to pay.
I get your points, but I gotta disagree with my experience. If I changed shoes, I had to change my strap fit. So I always wore the same shoes with my velcro straps. Depending on the quality, and RG straps are great, but others might have to be adjusted frequently.

You said it yourself, you routinely do it. Nothing wrong with that, but for my clips and straps, once they're set, they're set. I do think they can be more comfortable though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.