Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- June 6/7/8

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 05:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us all about your cycling adventures this weekend!!
Old 06-06-20, 05:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Sat Jun 6th, 2020 -- Bicycle Ride Outside

Rowan and I got out for a bicycle ride. It was quite chilly out there, but very little wind which was good. It was only 11.45 km ... I'd like to ride longer, but today that was good enough. My feet were really feeling the cold by the end of the ride.

Likes For Machka:
Old 06-07-20, 12:38 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts

Medici for the trip home

ItalVega to the beach and shop
I did my Sunday ride and changed it up just a little. I rode my 1972 ItalVega to the beach and harbor area , then went by my shop to swap bikes . I got on the 1982 Medici and cruised through downtown Ventura to Loma Vista and back to Telegraph for the return to Santa Paula just as it was getting warm. Total of 40 miles.
Old 06-07-20, 02:20 PM
pullings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
60-minutes on the gym's stationary bike.....it is pouring outside.
Old 06-07-20, 04:13 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
50 miles today. Across the valley and then up Fremont Peak. 3000 ft in about 8 miles. Strong winds but I hardly noticed them in the climb.

Old 06-07-20, 04:29 PM
Jahnboy9000

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Salsa Timberjack, Tracklocross NightmareBike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
An easy spin for 32 miles on Friday night, an early and fast 24 mile blast yesterday, and a long 5 hour 100km today. A good weekend.
Old 06-07-20, 09:38 PM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday: 23.7 miles mostly falling-over slow but with a few openers near the end.
Sunday: 41.5 miles with some more openers (for no other reason than to make a few lousy Strava segment PRs more respectable) and then a bit of flat tempo riding with medium crosswinds the whole time.
Old 06-07-20, 10:31 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Friday: broke my 16-day streak and didn't ride
Saturday: 41.7mi. First ride over 30mi in years. Before Covid, I didn't have much time for extended rides so I mostly stuck to 15-20mi loops from my house or riding to the grocery store or for a beer (or three). I joined a cycle club and we are finally back on the road.
Sunday: 7.2mi round trip for ice cream with my wife. I had beer & pretzel ice cream in a waffle cone. I live in Milwaukee. What did you expect the flavor would be?
Old 06-07-20, 11:42 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Sunday - 136km ride. Moving time 4:47:43, elapsed time 4:57:14. No pics because it was a continuous no-stop ride (except for traffic stops). More of a "let's see how far I can go without stopping, with only 2 bottles of water" kind of thing, partly because I didn't want to stop to buy drinks (with the whole social distancing thing), and also thought it would be an interesting challenge to test my limits.
Old 06-08-20, 01:01 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Did my first metric century since I got back last year. Started way too late, but Arizona was cooler than usual today so it was 91 F when I started and only got up to 95 F at the hottest part of the ride. Since I'm still in the rebuilding phase of my cycling fitness a 63-mile ride isn't just a given for me. I brought two water bottles and planned to make pit stops at gas stations along my route as needed. Ended up stopping twice, at mile 26 and again at mile 45. Both times I topped my water bottles off plus bought a drink that I chugged on the spot before resuming. At the first stop I also bought an apple fritter. At mile 55 I experienced a flat from an apparent slow leak that worked itself into a much less slow leak during the ride. Discovered I'd packed a threadless CO2 cartridge in with the inflator that requires the threaded ones, and then my micropump disintegrated in my hands while trying to use it. Fortunately for me a fellow cyclist stopped to see if I was OK, and we chatted for a while and he let me use his mini pump, so I didn't have to make the call of shame. Lesson learned: check my CO2 carts, make sure I have the right ones. Also ordered the same micropump the guy let me use, because it not only worked, but didn't take a zillion pump strokes to get my tire up to pressure either.

I'm planning to work up to doing a ride of similar length every weekend from now on if I can work it into my schedule. I'll just need to wake up way earlier and get on the road at the crack of dawn, because if today had been as hot as it was last week and probably will be nearly every other week for the new few months, today's ride would have been impossible (for me). I had some cramps this evening in my legs, so I'm going to roll out my legs before I go to bed in a few minutes here, and take it easy tomorrow so I get good recovery.
Old 06-08-20, 01:20 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
On Friday I rode with 2 friends for a gentle 80km 900m (50m 2900ft) and then on Saturday we did 100km 1100m (62m 3600ft) which took in PR's for a 16km (10m) hill and then a 40km (25m) time trial which we did in 59:44 enough to get us all into the top 10 for the segment - against a headwind too, so we'll be giving that another go soon to get the KOM.

On Sunday I did a short 20km MTB ride with my wife.
Old 06-08-20, 02:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
24 miles Friday, 38 Sunday, both mid to late afternoon, temps in the 90s, a bit humid but not too bad. Both typical efforts, not too hard.

My heat adaptation isn't coming along well. My heart rate has been pegging almost immediately and staying there for too long. It usually settles down after the first hour but for now I'm just riding according to heart rate than planning any workout, target speed or distance. Can't seem to stay in zone 2 no matter how easy I pedal.
Old 06-08-20, 02:58 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Went around the lake. I thought I was flying, PR after PR on the other side, going at a really high speed. Then when I came back to the other side, I realized why. I had a massive tailwind on the other side and a filthy headwind coming back. Was very demotivating, at parts I felt like I was standing still coming back.
Old 06-08-20, 04:26 AM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
I experimented with putting carbon fiber boards inside my hiking shoes, to improve pedaling efficiency. Early trials seems promising. I could go 1-2 cogs harder without more effort. Rode about 16 km on Saturday and 50 km on Sunday.
Old 06-08-20, 05:32 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts

Stillwater, Minnesota: 100 year old lift bridge converted to pedestrian and bike use. First time across since the conversion.
Old 06-08-20, 09:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Did my longest ride ever yesterday: 101kms (63miles) & 1249m (4100ft) of total elevation in roughly 4 hours in the National Park close to where I live. A century ride was my 2020 goal so I am very happy with my season so far.

Last edited by eduskator; 06-08-20 at 09:57 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-08-20, 10:56 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Saturday, set off for a 30 mile ride. 2 miles into I knew that was not going to happen. Apparently biscuits and sausage gravy are not good fuel for me. Instead of turning around, I suffered on, felt a little better was I got into the ride. Resisted the urge to take the short cut on the way home, got in 23 miles. 3 miles from the house, one of my favorite parts of the ride, coming down a nice quiet back road, a downhill with a sharp left. There is a nice quant creek that, when It rains flows over the road. Not much rain, but its still slick as it never sees sunlight. Well, I was coming in hot, so started to slow. There was about half a bale of hay someone dropped in the road, so I breaked harder. Started sliding wound up standing in the creek, front wheel almost up to the hub. Didn't drop the bike, no scrapes, just a wet shoe.
Sunday, was determined to have a better day. Rolled out of my garage and was struggling to get my left shoe clipped. Time pedals, have ridden these forever... I was going slow, focused on getting the pedal turned correctly, not paying attention. Ran into the curb in front of my neighbors house, couldn't unclip the right shoe and fell over, still clipped in, into his front yard. I need to ask him if his Ring camera caught me... I hope so. Got up, laughed it off, had a good ride of 22 miles, 1800 feet elevation gain, 14.5 mph average. Somedays you rare the dog, somedays you are the fire hydrant...
Old 06-08-20, 01:33 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Badbird2000
Saturday, set off for a 30 mile ride. 2 miles into I knew that was not going to happen. Apparently biscuits and sausage gravy are not good fuel for me. Instead of turning around, I suffered on, felt a little better was I got into the ride. Resisted the urge to take the short cut on the way home, got in 23 miles. 3 miles from the house, one of my favorite parts of the ride, coming down a nice quiet back road, a downhill with a sharp left. There is a nice quant creek that, when It rains flows over the road. Not much rain, but its still slick as it never sees sunlight. Well, I was coming in hot, so started to slow. There was about half a bale of hay someone dropped in the road, so I breaked harder. Started sliding wound up standing in the creek, front wheel almost up to the hub. Didn't drop the bike, no scrapes, just a wet shoe.
Sunday, was determined to have a better day. Rolled out of my garage and was struggling to get my left shoe clipped. Time pedals, have ridden these forever... I was going slow, focused on getting the pedal turned correctly, not paying attention. Ran into the curb in front of my neighbors house, couldn't unclip the right shoe and fell over, still clipped in, into his front yard. I need to ask him if his Ring camera caught me... I hope so. Got up, laughed it off, had a good ride of 22 miles, 1800 feet elevation gain, 14.5 mph average. Somedays you rare the dog, somedays you are the fire hydrant...
Good job! Wanting to turn around happens to me more often that it should, but I tell myself ''shut up and pedal'' until it passes. I learned to not listen to my body and mind unless something is clearly going wrong. It usually takes 10-15kms until I reach a good state of mind.
Old 06-09-20, 05:40 AM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
Saturday-heavy rain early so riding buddy and I called it off. Did 90 minutes on the Peloton instead. Monday did my normal weekday 25 miles up around the college and back.
Old 06-09-20, 11:30 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
The only ride I got in this week was on Tuesday. It was my usual Davis Is. ride for 27 miles. Hot and windy. The rest of the week and weekend were rained out.
Old 06-09-20, 12:44 PM
oxman

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Last Saturday, I completed my longest ride in several decades. I felt good the whole ride, though I was starting to feel a bit hungry towards the last half hour but did not eat the banana that I had brought with me. Hoping to go a bit further this coming weekend. I will have to conduct a bit of research on what to eat during a ride, when to start to eat, etc.

Old 06-09-20, 01:59 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by oxman
Last Saturday, I completed my longest ride in several decades. I felt good the whole ride, though I was starting to feel a bit hungry towards the last half hour but did not eat the banana that I had brought with me. Hoping to go a bit further this coming weekend. I will have to conduct a bit of research on what to eat during a ride, when to start to eat, etc.

If it can help, I ride fasted 99% of the times (in the mornings) with only a black coffee in my stomach. I eat lots of carbs the night before. My typical ride is a 40-50km loop with lots of hills and never did I bonk since I started doing that. I eat a banana & protein shake after the ride.

However, last weekend I did a 100km run & ate a protein bar halfway through and a dried fruit bar at 70-75kms when I started to feel I was losing energy.
Old 06-09-20, 08:54 PM
oxman

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
If it can help, I ride fasted 99% of the times (in the mornings) with only a black coffee in my stomach. I eat lots of carbs the night before. My typical ride is a 40-50km loop with lots of hills and never did I bonk since I started doing that. I eat a banana & protein shake after the ride.

However, last weekend I did a 100km run & ate a protein bar halfway through and a dried fruit bar at 70-75kms when I started to feel I was losing energy.
Thank you eduskator for your suggestion. I will employ more caution for myself. I did bonk once, many years ago, when I was under fueled and under dressed. I do not want to repeat that bad experience.