Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Snapped

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom Bracket Snapped

Old 06-20-20, 06:48 AM
Rich76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bottom Bracket Snapped

Hi Guys
quick question re: bottom bracket. Last Saturday my bottom bracket snapped. My local bike shop said i need to replace it along with front crankset but it looks fine to me. Is replacing the crankset a requirement when the bottom bracket snaps. I cycle a Giant TCR Composite 2012 - groupset Ultegra. appreciate any help. Cheers

Last edited by Rich76; 06-20-20 at 06:50 AM. Reason: editing groupset
Old 06-20-20, 07:12 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich76
Hi Guys
quick question re: bottom bracket. Last Saturday my bottom bracket snapped. My local bike shop said i need to replace it along with front crankset but it looks fine to me. Is replacing the crankset a requirement when the bottom bracket snaps. I cycle a Giant TCR Composite 2012 - groupset Ultegra. appreciate any help. Cheers
I think you are using the wrong term.
Snapping a bb is very difficult.
Pics?
Likes For blamester:
Old 06-20-20, 07:16 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
So what snapped?Doesn't that bike have a pressfit BB, which is just a set of cups and bearings? I am having trouble envisioning what would snap on those. If just the cups or bearings are damaged, then the cranks might be fine. Worth reinstalling to test them out anyway before spending the money. However, Could be the integrated spindle on the crank arm is damaged, which would mean the cranks are toast.
Old 06-20-20, 07:40 AM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blamester
I think you are using the wrong term.
Snapping a bb is very difficult.
Pics?
yeah it definitely snapped. Sorry - I’m unable to post a pic as I don’t have 10 posts yet as I’m new to the forum.
Old 06-20-20, 07:43 AM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOS
So what snapped?Doesn't that bike have a pressfit BB, which is just a set of cups and bearings? I am having trouble envisioning what would snap on those. If just the cups or bearings are damaged, then the cranks might be fine. Worth reinstalling to test them out anyway before spending the money. However, Could be the integrated spindle on the crank arm is damaged, which would mean the cranks are toast.
integrated spindle- maybe I’m getting BB terminology wrong as I thought that’s what it is 😬
I’m sorry I can’t post a picture yet.
Old 06-20-20, 08:57 AM
DOS

integrated spindle- maybe I’m getting BB terminology wrong as I thought that’s what it is 😬
I’m sorry I can’t post a picture yet.
So just by way of background, used to be That bottom brackets were an integrated system with the spindle that cranks attached to and the bearings that allowed the cranks to turn all part of the bottom bracket system. Older BBs are three pieces, with separate cups and spindles that are assembled in the bike’s BB shell. Newer but still outdated cartridge BBs have the spindle and cartridge bearings all together and are inserted into the frame as a unit.

Then the early 2000s happened and the bike industry discovered they could increase crank stiffness and decrease weight by pulling the spindle out of the BB and attach it to the crank (see pic). So BBs became just bearings that are in various ways, depending on type, inserted into the frame. Ultegra cranks that work with this latter type of BB will have a spindle attached to the drive side crank arm that slides through the BB. The non drive side arm attaches to the end of the spindle on the other side and is tightened with two pinch bolts. If you have this type of crankset, and I suspect you do, your BB didn’t snap, your crankset broke.

Last edited by DOS; 06-20-20 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-20-20, 09:01 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
So just by way of background, used to be That bottom brackets were an integrated system with the spindle that cranks attached to and the bearings that allowed the cranks to turn all part of the bottom bracket system. Older BBs are three pieces, with separate cups and spindles that are assembled in the bike’s BB shell. Newer but still outdated cartridge BBs have the spindle and cartridge bearings all together and are inserted into the frame as a unit. Then the early 2000s happened and the bike industry discovered they could increase crank stiffness and decrease weight by pulling the spindle out of the BB and attach it to the crank. So BBs became just bearings that are in various ways, depending on type, inserted into the frame. Ultegra cranks that work with this latter type of BB will have a spindle attached to the drive side crank arm that slides through the BB. The non drive side arm attaches to the end of the spindle on the other side and is tightened with two pinch bolts. If you have this type of crankset, your BB didn’t snap, your crankset broke.
This. And they'd replace the BB (cheapest part of the system) because you're already in there.
Old 06-20-20, 09:18 AM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOS

So just by way of background, used to be That bottom brackets were an integrated system with the spindle that cranks attached to and the bearings that allowed the cranks to turn all part of the bottom bracket system. Older BBs are three pieces, with separate cups and spindles that are assembled in the bike’s BB shell. Newer but still outdated cartridge BBs have the spindle and cartridge bearings all together and are inserted into the frame as a unit.

Then the early 2000s happened and the bike industry discovered they could increase crank stiffness and decrease weight by pulling the spindle out of the BB and attach it to the crank (see pic). So BBs became just bearings that are in various ways, depending on type, inserted into the frame. Ultegra cranks that work with this latter type of BB will have a spindle attached to the drive side crank arm that slides through the BB. The non drive side arm attaches to the end of the spindle on the other side and is tightened with two pinch bolts. If you have this type of crankset, and I suspect you do, your BB didn’t snap, your crankset broke.
very descriptive - thanks for that, much appreciated. Yeah I’m Now reckoning it’s as you say the crankset Broke. I will post up a picture as soon as I reach 10 posts and that should give you a good indicator of what it is
Old 06-20-20, 09:19 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by dedhed
This. And they'd replace the BB (cheapest part of the system) because you're already in there.
Yes. And 8 year old bearings probably need replacing anyway.
Old 06-20-20, 04:15 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
very descriptive - thanks for that, much appreciated. Yeah I’m Now reckoning it’s as you say the crankset Broke. I will post up a picture as soon as I reach 10 posts and that should give you a good indicator of what it is
You can post a URL as text. Confusicate it a bit (imgur dot com slash sfasdlfasdfl). Then one of us can post it for you.
Old 06-21-20, 09:12 AM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
You can post a URL as text. Confusicate it a bit (imgur dot com slash sfasdlfasdfl). Then one of us can post it for you.
sorry I did try but not working for me - I will just have to post 10 times 😁
Old 06-21-20, 09:13 AM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DOS
Yes. And 8 year old bearings probably need replacing anyway.
i just replaced bearings last year. When I eventually get picture up it might give a clear understanding
Old 06-21-20, 10:20 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
yeah it definitely snapped. Sorry - I’m unable to post a pic as I don’t have 10 posts yet as I’m new to the forum.
Now you do. Give it a try.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-22-20, 09:14 AM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Now you do. Give it a try.
Finally I can post - Im restricted to 5 posts a day too

Likes For Rich76:
Old 06-22-20, 09:23 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed. Yep, you've broken the crankset. Nice work!

Replacing the bottom bracket cups only makes sense in this case, since you're in there, they aren't expensive.
Old 06-22-20, 09:28 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Rust looks like the culprit. The picture is in focus but near the point on the top is an area that looks like rust has gone through the wall of the part causing a stress riser = failure to perform!
Old 06-22-20, 09:52 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Broken BB shaft

Hi Guys
Going back to your original question.
That broken shaft is integral to the spider and crank arm on the other side of the bike. (spider holds the shainrings)
The shaft itself cannot be replaced.
At minimum you would need to replace the other side... Shaft, Spider, crank are all one piece.
It might be cheaper to replace the whole Crankset (left and right sides) if you can find a deal.

The bottom bracket bearings in the frame, were likely damaged by the shaft failure. So it's a great time to replace those also.
Not replacing these bearings "may" damage the new shaft if the old bearings freeze up.

Hope that helps
All the best
Barry

EDIT: BTW I recently replaced my 10speed FC-6700 crankset with FC-R8000 with no issues.
Shimano has retained compatibility.for the cranksets

Last edited by Barry2; 06-22-20 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-22-20, 11:03 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finally I can post - Im restricted to 5 posts a day too

Yeah, that sharp thing sticking out of the crankarm is physically part of the right side crankarm. Or at least it used to be...

How did you manage that???
Old 06-22-20, 12:09 PM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KevinF
Yeah, that sharp thing sticking out of the crankarm is physically part of the right side crankarm. Or at least it used to be...

How did you manage that???
honestly, all I was doing was climbing a hill, stood up on the bike and felt a snap and then the ground came up to meet me with and a few broken ribs for my troubles.

thanks lads for the replies - it all makes some kind of sense now
Old 06-22-20, 12:10 PM
Rich76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry2
Going back to your original question.
That broken shaft is integral to the spider and crank arm on the other side of the bike. (spider holds the shainrings)
The shaft itself cannot be replaced.
At minimum you would need to replace the other side... Shaft, Spider, crank are all one piece.
It might be cheaper to replace the whole Crankset (left and right sides) if you can find a deal.

The bottom bracket bearings in the frame, were likely damaged by the shaft failure. So it's a great time to replace those also.
Not replacing these bearings "may" damage the new shaft if the old bearings freeze up.

Hope that helps
All the best
Barry

EDIT: BTW I recently replaced my 10speed FC-6700 crankset with FC-R8000 with no issues.
Shimano has retained compatibility.for the cranksets
I did wonder about compatability - cheers for that