Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How often is too often?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How often is too often?

Old 07-13-21, 01:18 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
How often is too often?

How often is too often to call a bike shop to check on the status of your repairs? I got hit by a car and my bike (and back) got pretty messed up 2 months ago.

About a month ago, I bought a used frameset that I thought was a good deal to do a parts bin build while I waited for the driver's insurance to make me right (still waiting, eventually had to get lawyers involved). The frameset had a BB in it that I couldn't use, but I was like, "oh well, whatever, I'll just pull it and throw it in the bin in case I have have an octalink crankset I want to use."

It turns out, I couldn't get the BB out (alloy driveside cup seized to Ti frame shell threads). That sucks, but the frameset was a good enough deal to me that I figured I could take it to a shop and, as long as it wasn't more than $1-200 to pull the BB, I'd still think I got an OK deal. (It wasn't really a great deal, but was a frameset I'd really wanted in a hard to find size - 64x62.)

I dropped it off at the shop, told them it was pretty stuck and I couldn't get it off with a 16" pipe wrench on my BB tool after soaking for 3 days in PB Blaster, (and, oh yeah, it's italian threaded, so it comes off the opposite way you're used to).

They asked if I needed it right then, or if I could leave it a couple days. I told them, sure, my back wasn't fit to ride, so a few days is fine.

That evening, the mechanic called me, and said it was really stuck and asked if I wanted the BB back or if he could use a more destructive method to get it off. I said, I have no use for an octalink BB, so do what you've gotta do.

A week later, I got a message from him, asking me to call him back that night before they closed if possible. I didn't get the message until the next day and they said that mechanic would be gone on vacation for a week.

I called when he got back (2 weeks after dropping it off), but he didn't remember asking me to call him before he left. He re-iterated that he was going to have to tap the BB cartridge out and then cut the cup with a dremel to get it out. He said, we should have you up and running in a couple days.

That was 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard since (4 weeks since dropping it off). Is it nagging if I call to check in to see where I am in the queue? I get that shops get really busy in the summer and I don't seem like I'm constantly complaining or something. If it's just far down on their list of priorities, I guess that is what it is; I'd just sort of like to get a realistic expectation of when I can get it back (or if it's going to be possible). Not sure if everything from them is really 4 weeks out, or if this mechanic started it, so it stayed with him to work on even though he went on vacation (the other mechanics didn't know the status of it when I tried to return his message) and it's just somehow got on his backburner or what.
Old 07-13-21, 01:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'd be calling them every 3-4 days at least. We call customers pretty often when we have a situation like this, even if they say 'no rush' when they drop it off.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-13-21, 02:36 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
He said, we should have you up and running in a couple days.

That was 2 weeks ago, ...
I'd say that's the relevant part. It's well past when they said you'd get the bike so it isn't nagging to call. I'd call, politely remind them how long it's been since they promised the work would be done, and without pressure, ask when the bike will be ready now. Then I'd give them two days beyond the promised date before calling to ask them to explain the delay and repeating the process. As long as you're not pressuring them to be done by a certain time, they should finish the work when promised. If they're bothered by your holding them to their word, you shouldn't be doing business with them.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-13-21, 02:38 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I'd be calling them every 3-4 days at least. We call customers pretty often when we have a situation like this, even if they say 'no rush' when they drop it off.
Since the mechanic working on it has tomorrow off, I'll probably try again on Thursday. I'm just sort of paranoid that, if they can't get the BB out but destroy it, it'll make the frame unusable (it's Italian threaded means those expandable threadless cartridge BBs for f'ed up threads that you can use for English threaded won't work). If it's just a backlog, I'll just have to work on my patience. I just would like to be able to build the bike up now to give me something to motivate me as I go through physical therapy and have something ready to ride when I'm done.
Old 07-13-21, 02:41 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by asgelle
I'd say that's the relevant part. It's well past when they said you'd get the bike so it isn't nagging to call. I'd call, politely remind them how long it's been since they promised the work would be done, and without pressure, ask when the bike will be ready now. Then I'd give them two days beyond the promised date before calling to ask them to explain the delay and repeating the process. As long as you're not pressuring them to be done by a certain time, they should finish the work when promised. If they're bothered by your holding them to their word, you shouldn't be doing business with them.
Yeah, a couple days may just sort of be their generic response to everyone, but I would like a specific date. I typically do all my own wrenching except when I run into something that leaves me stumped (a couple years ago I took them my wife's bike because I couldn't get the triple FD adjusted - turns out it had gotten bent in a way I hadn't noticed when she dropped the chain and needed replacing), so I don't really have a good feel for how this shop operates.

Edited to add: I decided not to wait and called today to see if I could get an update and they said that it wasn't done but they were hoping it'd get done by Thursday. I already knew the mechanic working on it has Wednesdays as his day off, so hopefully he'll get to it then.

Last edited by himespau; 07-13-21 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-13-21, 04:12 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Go into the shop and ask to see your bike. Don't take no for an answer. I have a feeling.......
Likes For drlogik:
Old 07-13-21, 04:42 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
This isn't a situation where I would make a phone call, I'd go to the shop.
Old 07-13-21, 04:48 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by drlogik
Go into the shop and ask to see your bike. Don't take no for an answer. I have a feeling.......
My first thought when he called and asked me to call him back right before he went on vacation was that he was going to tell me that my frame was toast. Then I was going to have to call Litespeed and see if they repaired their old frames (it's an Eddy Merckx Titanium EX built by Litespeed) and decide whether or not it was worth paying to have that done if they would do it. The one time I talked with him after he got back (and when I talked with whoever answered the phone today) they made it sound like they just haven't gotten to it yet, so I'm choosing to be hopeful as I have too many other things to worry about (dealing with the lawyers and insurance company about when I got hit and my first bike got trashed - and dealing with the health ramifications of the collision - take up most/all of my bandwidth that isn't taken by other stressors). But yeah, I am getting kind of anxious again. I get that everyone deserves vacations and shops do get busy (and I've been known to put difficult/tricky/annoying jobs on the backburner when there is low-hanging fruit I can accomplish easily) so, hopefully, nothing is wrong and they just got behind.
Old 07-13-21, 05:06 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I have a local shop "superb mech", he also knows I wrench my own stuff. Yet I throw him bones, and I also throw him stuff I am 'not into doing'.
He knows I ripped apart my bb30, cleaned lubed and put it back together on my al synapse frame, because I put it together better than factory and front derailleur was out whack. So paid him to adjust.

Fast forward for the super six with hollowgram blah.... I didnt even mess with it. I just took it to him straight away.
He started dragging feet....

Long story short , something I had said. Or my tone, or how I said it put him on edge. As in I tried, I screwed it up, I dropped it off to make him responsible for it. Regardless I stoppedvin for coffee next door, then talked to him. Assured him I never touched it. Just factory dry and creaking.
Next day he had it done.

Point being, I can see a shop dragging feet on certain jobs if they think they will be out the money for frame damage. some are barely scraping by as is, let alone being out frame cost on a $20 job.

Risk vs reward....

I really have no idea your /shop situation.

I'd just advise dropping in, in person.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-13-21, 05:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
I took a bike to a shop for the first time I can remember in at least 40 years for a steel pad retaining bolt which I thought might have to be drilled out of an aluminum brake caliper, to wit, 12 minutes work, but outside my skill set. The counter guy accepted the bike and said they’d call me next week. Days go by and no call. I call and the guy says “Friday.” I call Friday and the guy says, well it’s going to have to wait for their “hydraulic guy” to come in and he works Saturdays. Enough: I drive to the shop to get the bike, figuring I can replace the caliper for 75 bucks and the pain of filling and bleeding the line if I screw it up. I get to the shop and a different guy asks me if he can help me. I explain and he says “Oh, yeah; I fixed that a few days ago.” He charged me $3.00. I felt bad and bought something and when I came back to the register the first guy was there and charged me 10.00. So, call. The worst they can do is confabulate.

We could talk about auto mechanics, but the I compare them to the general service, rigging, and sail companies I use for my boat. The owners answer email or their phones on weekends. Work is documented, often in real time, often with pictures. And they charge me thousands!

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-13-21 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-13-21, 05:26 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Metieval
I have a local shop "superb mech", he also knows I wrench my own stuff. Yet I throw him bones, and I also throw him stuff I am 'not into doing'.
He knows I ripped apart my bb30, cleaned lubed and put it back together on my al synapse frame, because I put it together better than factory and front derailleur was out whack. So paid him to adjust.

Fast forward for the super six with hollowgram blah.... I didnt even mess with it. I just took it to him straight away.
He started dragging feet....

Long story short , something I had said. Or my tone, or how I said it put him on edge. As in I tried, I screwed it up, I dropped it off to make him responsible for it. Regardless I stoppedvin for coffee next door, then talked to him. Assured him I never touched it. Just factory dry and creaking.
Next day he had it done.

Point being, I can see a shop dragging feet on certain jobs if they think they will be out the money for frame damage. some are barely scraping by as is, let alone being out frame cost on a $20 job.

Risk vs reward....

I really have no idea your /shop situation.

I'd just advise dropping in, in person.
Honestly, if the frame is screwed, I'm not even sure I'd put it on them. If the 2 different metals seized together and can't be gotten apart, that's on the previous owner for putting the BB in without putting any grease down (the non-drive side threads looked super clean when I pulled them) and on me for buying a frame on eBay without checking on that sort of thing. That and, if he tried to loosen it but didn't realize it was Italian thread and over-tightened it instead, that's also on him (and on me again). I tried to make it clear when I dropped it off that I'd screwed up by buying a frame that I didn't fully know the condition of, but the guy I talked to wasn't the guy who is working on it. So yeah, I totally get your point. PITA job with high risk and low-ish reward (he already cleared with me on his first phone call when he realized that a long cheater bar wasn't going to work that the $40 I was quoted was going to be more like $100-ish, but still that's not a high amount of money for that risk) means low motivation/priority to get it done.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-13-21, 05:29 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
We could talk about auto mechanics, but the I compare them to the general service, rigging, and sail companies I use for my boat. The owners answer email or their phones on weekends. Work is documented, often in real time, often with pictures. And they charge me thousands!
Yeah, car mechanics give lots more documentation/communication (which is fair given how much more they charge), but I'm a whole lot less emotionally invested in my car. On the other hand, I if I were without a car for 2 months (if you track back to when I got hit and my last bike got wrecked), I might sing a different tune on that.

Between collision injuries and recovery from surgery to remove bone tumors from my lower leg, I'm not able to ride and feel a bit ridiculous being so anxious about getting the bike back, but riding is my stress relief.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-13-21, 05:31 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Honestly, if the frame is screwed, I'm not even sure I'd put it on them. If the 2 different metals seized together and can't be gotten apart, that's on the previous owner for putting the BB in without putting any grease down (the non-drive side threads looked super clean when I pulled them) and on me for buying a frame on eBay without checking on that sort of thing. That and, if he tried to loosen it but didn't realize it was Italian thread and over-tightened it instead, that's also on him (and on me again). I tried to make it clear when I dropped it off that I'd screwed up by buying a frame that I didn't fully know the condition of, but the guy I talked to wasn't the guy who is working on it. So yeah, I totally get your point. PITA job with high risk and low-ish reward (he already cleared with me on his first phone call when he realized that a long cheater bar wasn't going to work that the $40 I was quoted was going to be more like $100-ish, but still that's not a high amount of money for that risk) means low motivation/priority to get it done.
Well hopefully they can get it out....

I still suggest visiting in person.

Wish you the best on this!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-13-21, 05:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
they might just be crazy busy, I went in to get by back wheel replaced and they said they could get it back to me in a month, their mechanics were just that busy. You're definitely not a jerk for going in, it might have fallen off of their radar for whatever reason
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-13-21, 05:35 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Metieval
Well hopefully they can get it out....

I still suggest visiting in person.

Wish you the best on this!
Yeah, they told me Thursday. Not really convenient that day to drop by due to their location (unless they have it done - then I'll make time), but Saturday a casual drop in between errands could totally work.
Old 07-13-21, 05:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
3 days for a call-up status seems fair. maybe go up there with a couple of large pizzas & ask for a status...
Old 07-13-21, 05:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Yeah, car mechanics give lots more documentation/communication (which is fair given how much more they charge), but I'm a whole lot less emotionally invested in my car. On the other hand, I if I were without a car for 2 months (if you track back to when I got hit and my last bike got wrecked), I might sing a different tune on that.

Between collision injuries and recovery from surgery to remove bone tumors from my lower leg, I'm not able to ride and feel a bit ridiculous being so anxious about getting the bike back, but riding is my stress relief.
Oh, I know exactly how you feel!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-13-21, 05:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
The owner of the shop I take stuff to tends to underestimate how long things take, so when it's the day after he said it would be done, I'll often drop him an email and say, "Hey, I have some free time this afternoon to come and pick up the bike. Is it ready?" And often the response is "Just finishing up", which I think means "We're starting on it now" But they do good work and most of the bikes they handle are WAY nicer than what I bring him, AND most of the customers are WAY faster than me, so I figure he must know something!

BTW, I suspect the reason he underestimates the time things take is he also underestimates how many "while you wait" jobs he does. A couple times I brought in one or two wheels for them to true, and said I was happy to leave them and come back another day, but he slapped them on the truing stand and did them there and then.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-13-21, 09:00 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
The owner of the shop I take stuff to tends to underestimate how long things take, so when it's the day after he said it would be done, I'll often drop him an email and say, "Hey, I have some free time this afternoon to come and pick up the bike. Is it ready?" And often the response is "Just finishing up", which I think means "We're starting on it now" But they do good work and most of the bikes they handle are WAY nicer than what I bring him, AND most of the customers are WAY faster than me, so I figure he must know something!

BTW, I suspect the reason he underestimates the time things take is he also underestimates how many "while you wait" jobs he does. A couple times I brought in one or two wheels for them to true, and said I was happy to leave them and come back another day, but he slapped them on the truing stand and did them there and then.
what store do you use. I had to use a sports basement for my last repair and they messed it up
Old 07-13-21, 09:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
what store do you use. I had to use a sports basement for my last repair and they messed it up
Veloro in RWC. They're probably a lot more expensive than Sports Basement. They do a good job truing wheels (hit, hint).

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-14-21, 08:11 AM
himespau 

BTW, I suspect the reason he underestimates the time things take is he also underestimates how many "while you wait" jobs he does.
That might be it as well. When I dropped it off, they asked if I needed it now or could wait a couple days. If they're the type that push the "need it now" folks to the top of the queue, things just might keep getting pushed down the list unless you're a squeaky wheel.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-14-21, 09:05 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Bring bike to your bone tumor surgeon.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 07-14-21, 09:18 AM
LarrySellerz

Veloro in RWC. They're probably a lot more expensive than Sports Basement. They do a good job truing wheels (hit, hint).
woah that's a mile from my house, thanks for the tip. I want to put drop bars on the mountain bike/wallmart bike that I salvaged and call it a gravel bike haha
Old 07-14-21, 09:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
woah that's a mile from my house, thanks for the tip. I want to put drop bars on the mountain bike/wallmart bike that I salvaged and call it a gravel bike haha
Geez, that's like taking a Yugo to the Ferrari mechanic.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-14-21, 11:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
If it's taking that long and requiring that much effort.... at least I'm assuming the bike shop is making some effort to work on the bike, then this is probably going to already cost you more than all the pieces parts are worth.

Maybe you just need to cut your losses and go a different direction. Not all bike shops are equal in their abilities to work on anything that is slung at them. Some are only remove and replace type shops for things that are already in decent shape. And only for the lines of bikes they sell. Which is not a bad thing in itself.

But those places might not be equipped or even have experience with what you've dropped on them. Are you certain your bike shop is equipped and experienced for anything?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.