Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

what current tire is similar to Vittoria Randonneur Pro II 37-622?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 10:51 PM
paramount3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

These tires have been great for me, running with tubes at 50-60 psi usually. They don't seem to be available now. What is a suitable replacement? The good features of the tire are: reasonable weight (I think about 470g each), extremely good puncture resistance, good ride, reasonable traction, reasonable lifetime. I don't want tubeless, and although I do ride on gravel/dirt, I want a touring/road tire, not a gravel/knobby tire. The actual width as-mounted is probably more like 35 mm. I could probably go 32-37 mm. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-21, 11:04 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Not sure if this is a way you want to go, but…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vittoria-Ra...-127634-2357-0

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-25-21, 11:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
René Herse has taken over the Compass tires. You might look to see if there is anything you like.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...ts/tires/700c/

Vittoria has a bunch of tires they mark as "Randonneur". But, I think they are all heavier than the "Pro".

Perhaps for now snag the last pair off of E-Bay (and send the seller a note to see if he has more).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193548888287

The Vittoria Terreno Zero and Terreno Dry both are relatively light for the "tubeless" variety. I'm not sure why tubeless would be so much lighter than foldable.

The Clement X'Plor Ush is a lightweight tire, but I'm not sure it has the puncture protection you are looking for.
Old 07-26-21, 01:55 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Panaracer Pasela PT folding bead version. They come in 32, 35, 38, whatever. The sidewall is really soft which makes for a smooth ride. The 38 supposedly weighs 450g.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 07-26-21, 05:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Panaracer GravelKing slick

Old 07-26-21, 06:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I use and like both the Pasela and GravelKing, but also look at Panaracer’s Ribmo in 35c, particularly if you don’t need the tread blocks but want a little more puncture resistance:

https://panaracer.com/en/products/ur...o_en/ribmo-en/
Old 07-26-21, 07:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by paramount3
The good features of the tire are: reasonable weight (I think about 470g each), extremely good puncture resistance, good ride, reasonable traction, reasonable lifetime. I don't want tubeless, and although I do ride on gravel/dirt, I want a touring/road tire, not a gravel/knobby tire. The actual width as-mounted is probably more like 35 mm. I could probably go 32-37 mm. Thanks in advance.
I had a set of Rando Pros on a touring bike and while they were perfectly fine, there are plenty of alternatives of equal value/quality/price.
I would buy some Panaracer GravelKing SS tires and call it good. File tread center, good weight, good rolling resistance, good durability, good price.
The 38mm weighs 410g and the 35mm weighs 380g.

43mm GK SS tires are on my gravel bike and they have been issueless, which is pretty much the best thing I can say about a tire. I wont hesitate to consider some in 38mm size for my commute/touring bike once my current tires on that bike are finished.
Old 07-26-21, 08:16 PM
paramount3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. Sounds like Gravel King SS would be a good tire for me. Good reviews on the rolling resistance site also. A few more questions: Sounds as if I might want the "plus" version, since I would be willing to trade some weight/suppleness for increased puncture resistance. Does anybody have experience with the "plus" version Panaracers? Also, these are tubeless-ready tires ("TLC")--how do they perform with tubes? And do they tend to run true-to-width? Or at least would a Panaracer 35 be comparable to a Vittoria 35? Thanks for your patience.
Old 07-26-21, 09:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. Sounds like Gravel King SS would be a good tire for me. Good reviews on the rolling resistance site also. A few more questions: Sounds as if I might want the "plus" version, since I would be willing to trade some weight/suppleness for increased puncture resistance. Does anybody have experience with the "plus" version Panaracers? Also, these are tubeless-ready tires ("TLC")--how do they perform with tubes? And do they tend to run true-to-width? Or at least would a Panaracer 35 be comparable to a Vittoria 35? Thanks for your patience.
If you run a plastic tube like Schwalbe Aerothan, you’ll not only minimize rolling resistance and get near tubeless performance, you also save a lot of weight compared to standard butyl tubes and improve puncture resistance a lot. They’re pricey, but man, they “rep the bennies” good.

Actual tire width depends on internal width of your rims.

I don’t think there’s any good reason to worry about running tubeless spec tires tubed. Anyway, I happily run 26c GravelKing Tubeless tubed-up with Panaracer’s R’Air extralight butyl tubes.
Old 07-27-21, 06:52 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
You could run the tougher heavier tire on the rear, since rear flats suck way more than fronts. Plus, most of my flats are rears. I've never used the GravelKings, although they're probably going to be the tires for the 650b conversion I'll be doing on my Fuji this fall. They look rounder than the Paselas to my eye, and I've found that I really, really like a round tire. (Which isn't surprising, considering how much I love sewups.) To me, a really round tire rides a size bigger than a more u-shaped one of the same nominal size, and corners so much better that size is almost irrelevant. The Pasela is a pretty u-shaped tire, with a bit of a "peak" at the centerline. That said, Paselas are great tires... there's a reason that they've been the default choice for touring / commuting tires for like 3 decades now.

Panaracers have a reputation for running a bit small, which jibes with my experience.

--Shannon
Old 07-30-21, 06:26 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
These tires have been great for me, running with tubes at 50-60 psi usually. They don't seem to be available now. What is a suitable replacement? The good features of the tire are: reasonable weight (I think about 470g each), extremely good puncture resistance, good ride, reasonable traction, reasonable lifetime. I don't want tubeless, and although I do ride on gravel/dirt, I want a touring/road tire, not a gravel/knobby tire. The actual width as-mounted is probably more like 35 mm. I could probably go 32-37 mm. Thanks in advance.
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme?

32, 35, and 40
Old 07-30-21, 06:27 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Panaracer Pasela PT folding bead version. They come in 32, 35, 38, whatever. The sidewall is really soft which makes for a smooth ride. The 38 supposedly weighs 450g.

One of my favorite tubed tires.
Old 07-30-21, 08:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
You could run the tougher heavier tire on the rear, since rear flats suck way more than fronts. Plus, most of my flats are rears. I've never used the GravelKings, although they're probably going to be the tires for the 650b conversion I'll be doing on my Fuji this fall. They look rounder than the Paselas to my eye, and I've found that I really, really like a round tire. (Which isn't surprising, considering how much I love sewups.) To me, a really round tire rides a size bigger than a more u-shaped one of the same nominal size, and corners so much better that size is almost irrelevant. The Pasela is a pretty u-shaped tire, with a bit of a "peak" at the centerline. That said, Paselas are great tires... there's a reason that they've been the default choice for touring / commuting tires for like 3 decades now.

Panaracers have a reputation for running a bit small, which jibes with my experience.

--Shannon
If you're not overly afraid of flats, consider the Panaracer Pari-Moto for your conversion... light, round, comfy, zippy, and come in right around 38mm. (Mine are actually a little bigger than that after a couple of years.) If my recall of events is correct, the Pari-Moto came first and the file-tread GravelKings are essentially a tougher version of them.

They come in a 127tpi version, but I haven't tried it yet, just the regular tan 67tpi version: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...650b-road-tire
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498