Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What bike is this?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What bike is this?

Old 08-15-17, 01:05 AM
Eric_V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike is this?

I need ten posts before i can upload pictures, so here we go
Old 08-15-17, 01:11 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone identify this bike?

Last edited by Eric_V; 08-15-17 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 06:00 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Are you supposed to count down from ten or up to ten?

Can't help with the bike. Gios?
Old 08-15-17, 07:08 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This forum is very demanding. For your first post,you have to go outside and count the number of leaves of the nearest tree. With that amount you go to the supermarket and there you shout the number as hard as you can. If there are at least 5 people looking you can post your message. Oh wait.. you have all done the same offcourse so nevermind.

(Ps,Still dont know what brand it is/was)
Old 08-15-17, 07:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Can you give us a bit more information? Do you know the seat post size? What about the bottom bracket threading? Is there anything stamped on the dropouts?

PS you could delete those 9 additional post now.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-15-17, 07:17 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Eric_V
This forum is very demanding. For your first post,you have to go outside and count the number of leaves of the nearest tree. With that amount you go to the supermarket and there you shout the number as hard as you can. If there are at least 5 people looking you can post your message. Oh wait.. you have all done the same offcourse so nevermind.

(Ps,Still dont know what brand it is/was)
I think the program or whatever is quite old and they tried really hard to eliminate trolls and bots so it is a bit cumbersome at first but you'll find once you get through the gates most of the people, especially the C&Vers are real nice.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-15-17, 07:30 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Welcome to the forums!! Can you give us a bit more information? Do you know the seat post size? What about the bottom bracket threading? Is there anything stamped on the dropouts?

PS you could delete those 9 additional post now.

Dropouts are campagnolo. Just like most of the parts(first gen super record? At least the rear derailleur is) Also the bottom bracket is campagnolo. Dont know the threading, its still in. Or must it be italian because its campa? Size dont know yet, have to meassure..
Old 08-15-17, 07:51 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steer and stem is ttt.
Brake lever gipiemme and brakes galli. But maybe they are not original because everything else is campa.
2 different wheels, prob not original, one is a mavic

And looks like the original colour was red

Last edited by Eric_V; 08-15-17 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 08:33 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
Looks like a contract-built Italian and could have been sold under dozens of names, but get that seatpost out and if it's 27.2 and if there is rifling in the base of the steerer then it's *probably* Columbus SL.
If i had to guess I'd say it was made by Romani cause many of the details match their work BUT they may have been out of business right around this era (take a close-up of the driveside dropout so we can see if there are 2 "extra holes")
Old 08-15-17, 09:14 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
Looks like bike was originally all white. Lacquer thinner may work to remove the blue rattle can paint without damaging the original underneath if you "go lightly" in the application. Don
Old 08-15-17, 09:38 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't get the seatpost out but it says 27,2
And I dont have thinner at home now so i have to buy it

Old 08-15-17, 09:42 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Wow, that's some attention to detail during the paint prep!
Old 08-15-17, 09:53 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol,yes best paint job ever
Old 08-15-17, 11:58 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Dropouts are campagnolo. Just like most of the parts(first gen super record? At least the rear derailleur is) Also the bottom bracket is campagnolo. Dont know the threading, its still in. Or must it be italian because its campa? Size dont know yet, have to meassure..
Not necessarily, BB threading came in various threading sizes through the late '80s. Most Common was Italian, English and french and then a few others. CampI made all the top three so it is possible the threading is English even though it is a campI crankset.

Steer and stem is ttt.
Brake lever gipiemme and brakes galli. But maybe they are not original because everything else is campa.
2 different wheels, prob not original, one is a mavic

And looks like the original colour was red
There was a time when bikes didn't come with complete groups and mixing parts from various manufacturers was very common to hit price points. The top bike in the line might be all Super Record, the next might mostly SR with some Record the next bike might mix Record and other brands to lower the price more.

I can't get the seatpost out but it says 27,2
And I dont have thinner at home now so i have to buy it
That's too bad about the post. Search the threads for removal techniques. Hopefully it will come out with damaging either.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-15-17, 12:50 PM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Im kinda new in the world of vintage bikes so still a lot to learn. But those old bikes are so nice

So it's probably not a well known brand. But still curious how the original bike looked like. I keep searching..
Old 08-16-17, 12:30 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
I'd still bet money this is Italian threading and since you have 27.2 and pretty nice details it's either full Columbus SL or at least "tre-tubi". Given the small BB slots and the no-portacatena holes in the shorty Campy DOs plus the nutted brakes I'm guessing 1978 or earlier...still no idea who made it but despite the crappy "ghetto paint" it's probably a pretty nice Italian ride and worth putting some work into!
Old 08-16-17, 04:07 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,211 Times in 1,102 Posts
Nice find but.... good luck with the post. Given the corrosion at the lug/post interface, it could be a significant challenge getting them apart without damage.

My suggestions would be to strip the frame completely, invert the frame with the post down and try using any number of concoctions suggested as a result of a search. Freeze it and heat might also help break the bond. Don't over heat either the post or the tubing. Of course the assumption is that the frame will be stripped if using heat.

This is the kink of bike I would be interested in if the price was right.

Those are Super Record rings on the crank. Can't tell if the RD is SR or not. Same with the FD. Note that the FD would have black anodizing on the body if it were SR. That is the only difference from Record, IIRC.

Looks like your partner should be OA.
Old 08-16-17, 04:33 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only paid 40 euro for it so its a good deal with or without the frame. And the rd is also super record, have to check the fd. Its almost stripped and then i will try to get the seat post out.
Hope i will find out what bike it is and if its nice enough to recover.
Old 08-16-17, 10:35 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Man, I hope you can get that seat post out without too much horror.
--or--
Hey, maybe the seatpost is already at exactly the right height for you!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 08-16-17, 11:06 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unfortunately the frame is too small for me, only 53ct. But maybe for mine gf hehe.

Frame is almost stripped. Now going for a ride. And tommorow the seat post is going out

Btw looks like the original colour was orange

Old 08-16-17, 08:31 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Italian BB (36mm diameter) so the shell should be 70mm wide. The 24F is for file (FEE-lay), "threads."
Old 08-16-17, 08:55 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
How common were under BB cables in 78? Or brazed-on brake cable guides?
Old 08-17-17, 12:58 AM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Given the small BB slots and the no-portacatena holes in the shorty Campy DOs plus the nutted brakes I'm guessing 1978 or earlier...
With bottle cage braze-ons? Granted, they could have been added later, but considering those, the under-BB cable routing, and looking at the style of the housing guides and fork crown I was leaning toward early-'80s. I'm not the king of Italy, though, so my opinion may not be worth more than the price of admission.
Old 08-17-17, 01:38 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice find, that's as good a price as you can expect, save the always wonderful free bike. Its a mystery frame for me, so I'm no help there, those brazed top tube rear brake cable guides look similar to those on my Tommasini. Must be an Italian item that shows up frequently.

The rear derailleur appears to be Super Record, based on its faded black anodization on the top and bottom knuckles. With those silver plates and what looks like the Nuovo Record's outer parallelogram cast logo, this is a rare first generation Super Record with the black anodizing needing refreshing if you go for small details. Can you post a close up of the front derailleur, please? The front looks to be Nuovo Record though. I agree with the Super Record chain rings on a 144 bcd Record crank spider.

Hopefully that seat post will break free without ruining the frame, and that your gf is up for a pretty C&V bike when its finished. Keep updating this and best wishes on your project.

Bill

Edit: I can make out faded black anodization on the RD, that is a rare 1st generation SR derailleur. Nice score there.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-17-17 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-17-17, 03:01 AM
Eric_V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the rd is super record first gen. Its black and its written
"campagnolo
super record"
So no doubt about that. On the crank there is a diamond with a 7 in it. I looked it up and means its made in 77. So maybe it is a (late) 70's bike?

I will post later a pic of the front derailleur. I dont think that one is sr but im not an expert.

Saddle is btw a Donelli but that does not say anything haha

Last edited by Eric_V; 08-17-17 at 03:31 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.