Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Highest Price for a road bike for hilly races

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Highest Price for a road bike for hilly races

Old 02-17-20, 02:07 PM
tpy2010

Bikes: Trek 5500, 3 Catrike expeditions with various modifications, red line mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Highest price

Sobre: I have read the above post and replies and of course, I have arrived at a slightly different answer. The amount you should spend is just under the limit it would take for your wife or significant other to re-read your life insurance policy to be sure that they would still eligible to collect after rendering their judgement on your spending $$$$$$ on your bike.

There is a relationship of diminished weight of the bike, the rider, ambient conditions, physical conditions and inherent athletic ability and your ability to climb. My advice, Spend what you can afford with a clear conscience, and ride to have fun. There are times when chasing extreme personal bests can leave you financially in the hole, Physically burnt out and possibly paying alimony! Have fun and it sounds like you made a heck of a deal on your last bike!
Likes For tpy2010:
Old 02-17-20, 04:19 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by KDR
I am amazed that I don't remember ever hearing about the excellent idea of adding weight to a bike and comparing times that way with times by the same rider on the same course without any added weight on the bike. I was going to ask how similar your fit/position is between the two bikes in question because seemingly small differences there can make a surprising difference in efficiency.
I have bikes ranging from 18 lbs to 24 lbs. Of course the flat kit and water bottle adds 2 lbs so it is 20 and 26. There is a detectable difference from lightest to heaviest. But unless you're a pro racer it wouldn't make any difference. The only places weight makes a difference is acceleration and climbing. And in climbing it can be substantial but so what? It doesn't stop you from getting to the top, you're just slower.

On a century why is everyone racing each other when the object is to ride a certain distance. Do you get more points by getting there faster? When you're on he Saturday Ride does getting to the next red light faster give you a thrill? Does dropping your buddy who is having a bad day prove something? On a climb everyone has their own speed. If you weigh 15 lbs less than someone do you think that having a bike 3 lbs lighter is going to improve you?
Old 02-18-20, 04:16 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by KDR
I am amazed that I don't remember ever hearing about the excellent idea of adding weight to a bike and comparing times that way with times by the same rider on the same course without any added weight on the bike. I was going to ask how similar your fit/position is between the two bikes in question because seemingly small differences there can make a surprising difference in efficiency.
Old 02-18-20, 09:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Not really...

Originally Posted by sobre
... I just checked it. My new bike is exactly 17,5 lbs.
If you used a luggage scale or a suspended scale, then your uncertainty is likely +/- 0.1 lbs.

If you measured using a bathroom scale (holding the bike, and then without the bike, subtracting), then your measurement uncertainty is +/- 0.5 lbs. That's for each measurement.

In this case (scale that uses internal rounding to the nearest half pound), each of your measurements can be anywhere between - .25 and + 0.24 pounds to register at the number shown on your scale. These two measurements are made independently of one another, so the combined uncertainty error (in subtraction or addition) grows as a root-sum-square.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 02-19-20 at 06:34 AM. Reason: correcting terminology for measurement uncertainty