Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

nearly built but incomplete "Grail" bikes at a discount

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 05:14 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I'm no role model for finishing classic road bike builds in a reasonable time frame. My thoughts on how to complete each one have to marinate in my mind and gradually a great build takes shape. Some of the deals I have gotten on eBay involve frames where the seller has done a good job in some respects but then leaving certain critical engineering challenges unresolved.

Can anyone offer any real world examples of this?

One example I have to offer is that of a Klein Performance frameset where the owner went to the trouble of removing the press fit bottom bracket then press fitting Shimano style outboard (still press fit) Phil Wood bearings to allow the use of Shimano Hollow Tech cranks. The seller made no modifications to the bottom bracket so the press fit bearings in place are not plug-n-play with Shimano 24 mm cranks. I understand that this is not a purist C&V problem, more of a "resto-mod" engineering problem. The seller never disclosed that the width of the BB was not right. I bought the frame and fork with the new Phil Wood outboard bottom bracket bearings installed for under $200. I suspect that the seller sold off the frame when he realized that the final fitment of the Shimano Hollowtech 2 cranks had a glitch since the Klein frame's stock BB was too wide. I really did not want to have to "face" the BB either....

Last edited by masi61; 07-17-21 at 01:24 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 07-17-21, 01:21 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Well I know that with no photos my thread isn't going anywhere fast....

Good news about the Klein Performance. I now have a used Dura Ace 7803 triple crankset mounted and it appears it will work well. In order to make it work I removed the standard 6.5mm spacer. and installed a very thin 24 mm ID spacer that is more like 1mm thickness from a Wheels Manufacturing spacer kit that is marked "for SRAM". I will try to provide photos soon. By the way, this Klein Performance frame accepts a 130mm rear hub so I am able to run my extra set of Dura Ace 7700 wheels with a 10 speed cassette thus gaining a 3x10 touring bike to the stable.

BTW: The Klein Performance was a "grail" bike for me since I had the catalog and spent time in my younger years pondering a custom paint job and custom build on what seemed like a such a cool oversized aluminum bike. Now that the bike is well on its way to being built up, I realized that this is not going to be a light bike by modern standards. Not with a steel fork. My handlebars even whacked the top tube fairly hard and did not make a dent. These early aluminum frames seem quite thick compared to modern...

Last edited by masi61; 07-17-21 at 01:33 PM.
Likes For masi61: