Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help on another Japanese 80s Bianchi to identify

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help on another Japanese 80s Bianchi to identify

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 06:37 PM
Cibi42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
another Japanese 80s Bianchi? Pic heavy

hi all, i just got hold of this 80s (82 from the logo?) Bianchi, likely Japanese made. It came with a straight bar but doesn’t seem to have a touring or ‘city’ geometry so I guess it was assembled to order from the original owner.
it was stored in a shed all its life and the frame, albeit no too light, is in really good condition with shiny paint under the dust and just a few small paint chips on the top tube and the chain stays.

Hi-Mn frame
Suntour BL derailleurs
No stamps on dropouts nor on tubes nor on the fork tops
suntour shifters
Sakae hubs and Nisi rims
dia compe brakes
26.4 seat tube
custom sakae crankset

I’ve started to take it apart for cleaning, i should have taken pics before...

i’ll put a SR headset and drop bars and it should make a nice commuter for the summer.

The furst pic is as I picked it up, the seat cover was for added confort and the saddle underneath was like new.

If you have any suggestions on how to identify a model or a date that would be great!

Last edited by Cibi42; 10-21-19 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 06:27 AM
Cibi42

And i’m in Canada if that helps with identification, it seems that a few Models got extra chrome on forks up here.
any help identifying the model or the year, or any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-22-19, 07:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's definitely a 1982 model based on the May 1982 date indicated by the serial number. The Hi-Mangy tubing is consistent with the Canadian market Bici II but the BL derailleurs are a step up from the ARx that were spec'd on the Bici II.
Old 10-22-19, 09:12 AM
Cibi42

Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's definitely a 1982 model based on the May 1982 date indicated by the serial number. The Hi-Mangy tubing is consistent with the Canadian market Bici II but the BL derailleurs are a step up from the ARx that were spec'd on the Bici II.
Thanks T-Mar, much appreciated.
Couple of following up questions if you don't mind: how do you break down that serial Number? and I can't find much info on the Bici II, I had a look at a couple of catalogs online (velo-pages and 2velo) but can't seem to find that model. Would I be right in assuming it's above the basic Hi-ten but below the Limited or equivalent?
Thanks
Old 10-22-19, 09:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
See https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html

The online catalogues that I've seen for this era are for the USA market. During this period the Canadian market models were designed and imported by Jim Miele and do not always correlate to the USA models. The Hi-Mangy tubeset is believed to be one of carbon-manganese (CMn) alloys that falls between hi-tensile steel and chromium-molybdenum (CrMo) in terms of tensile strength. Based on the seat post diameter, this tubeset is closer to the h-tensile range than the CrMo range.