Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

l'etape du tour 2020

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

l'etape du tour 2020

Old 01-12-20, 04:30 PM
Michael Novo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
l'etape du tour 2020

Anyone heading to Nice for this ride? I registered a couple months ago when pre-regs opened up. The entire ride seemed to sell out in just one day. Going to be tough and a long way to go in training and weight loss but should be enough time to get ready...hopefully
Likes For Michael Novo:
Old 01-13-20, 11:33 AM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Oooooo I'm sure it will be awesome!!! Take lots of picture, ok?
Old 01-13-20, 11:39 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Novo
Anyone heading to Nice for this ride? I registered a couple months ago when pre-regs opened up. The entire ride seemed to sell out in just one day. Going to be tough and a long way to go in training and weight loss but should be enough time to get ready...hopefully
I'm doing it. I understood it sold out within an hour, and I think it's 15K + cyclists. Being a start/finish in Nice, and not a point-to-point and having to ferry back and forth, made it very attractive.

The biggest concern I have will be the heat. It could be very hot and oppressive. But it should be an outstanding atmosphere.
Old 01-13-20, 04:36 PM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I'm doing it. I understood it sold out within an hour, and I think it's 15K + cyclists. Being a start/finish in Nice, and not a point-to-point and having to ferry back and forth, made it very attractive.

The biggest concern I have will be the heat. It could be very hot and oppressive. But it should be an outstanding atmosphere.
Well I need to cut about 40lbs so before I can worry about the heat, I'll focus on that Do you stay nearby and rent or simply do the RV / camping style?
Old 01-13-20, 05:30 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by Michael Novo
Well I need to cut about 40lbs so before I can worry about the heat, I'll focus on that Do you stay nearby and rent or simply do the RV / camping style?
Found a place not far from Nice and may cycle in to the start.
Old 01-15-20, 09:33 AM
KenBrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am also registered for L'Etape du Tour 2020, I was able to hook up with a French charity, I raised money for them and they secured a bib number for me.
I'm most concerned about climbing up the mountains. I live in the southeast usa and we don't really have any mountains like that to train on.

Does anyone have an idea of how tough the time limits will be to stay ahead of? I've heard that in past years they had to pull a ton of folks off the course because they didn't make the time cutoffs.
Old 01-19-20, 08:23 PM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KenBrown
I am also registered for L'Etape du Tour 2020, I was able to hook up with a French charity, I raised money for them and they secured a bib number for me.
I'm most concerned about climbing up the mountains. I live in the southeast usa and we don't really have any mountains like that to train on.

Does anyone have an idea of how tough the time limits will be to stay ahead of? I've heard that in past years they had to pull a ton of folks off the course because they didn't make the time cutoffs.
Same here. Working on cutting weight for this which should be doable. I put myself in the slowest group and I think the max time is 11 hours if I recall correctly.
Old 01-19-20, 08:34 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

How about he Appalachian Mountains?
Old 01-20-20, 08:25 AM
KenBrown

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I plan on some weekend trips to the Appalachians for some climbing.

Can someone post a link to the time limits? I haven't seen anything.

thanks

-Ken
Old 03-19-20, 12:04 PM
dipaolom

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also signed up. I'm thinking that the key will be a conservative pace and FUELLING. I bought a power meter just to understand what I can sustain over time (Assioma Uno, by the way...an awesome product. Highly recommended). It's humbling because according to what my power meter is telling me, I have a tiny engine (about a 208 FTP). I hate to think I need to maintain 140 watts the whole time (if that's even possible).

But anyway, as I'm preparing I'm researching fuelling strategies and I'm eating more in my training rides....it has made a HUGE difference. One gel per hour just doesn't cut it, boys and girls.
Likes For dipaolom:
Old 03-19-20, 12:20 PM
ridelikeaturtle

I hate to pour water on this event, but keep your eyes peeled for a cancellation notification due to COVID19.

Currently, everyone in France is required to have paperwork to *go outside their house*. They're getting stopped at checkpoints to validate their purpose for violating the lockdown.

I expect it to get worse before it gets worse, and I expect it to last well into the summer. I cannot envision a scenario where >15,000 cyclists descend upon Nice for a one-day event, as there are going to be significant knock-on effects all summer.
Old 03-19-20, 01:32 PM
dipaolom

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Surely we will be past this by July. Surely.
Old 03-20-20, 07:48 AM
KenBrown

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This year the 7th stage of Paris Nice, (which ended up being the last stage after they shortened it), finished on top of Col De La Colmiane which is the first big climb for E'Tape this year. It was really cool and a bit scary to watch the pros climb up this 16k road on my TV in my comfortable den. The views were spectacular although it will be hard to enjoy the views while actually climbing, it was a little visual taste of the route and it was really fun to watch. The pro peloton made the climb look easy but the elevation profile makes me question my ability to get to the top and this is only the first of 3 big climbs!

I've been on a training plan preparing for E'Tape but 2 of the races I was registered for leading up to E'Tape have been canceled. The Croatan Buck Fifty was supposed to be last Saturday but was canceled, and The Looking Glass Tour which was scheduled for April 25th was canceled. It's not that easy to stay motivated right now with all that is going on (or more accurately - whats not going on). and the threat of E'Tape being canceled a very real possibility and maybe even a probability.

I'm hoping against hope that we can all get closer to the top of Col De La Colmiane then watching it on TV.

Stay safe and keep training for July 5th, just in case we get a miracle!

Last edited by KenBrown; 03-20-20 at 11:58 AM.
Likes For KenBrown:
Old 03-20-20, 06:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts

I’ve done L’etape. In my experience the time
limits are tight enough that not getting swept is an accomplishment. The year I did it, a guy my group who was a solid Cat 3 got swept.

As for preparing living in the flatlands, my take is still available at the blog
everest challangex2
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-20-20, 06:14 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by dipaolom
Surely we will be past this by July. Surely.
not so sanguine. I’m signed up for Haute Route Alps in August. I’m betting thats no better than a 50-50 chance.

The Giro is already postponed. The TDF is flux. L’Etape is out on by the TDF guys. If the real tour is cancelled or postponed, no way L’Etape goes as
scheduled
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-21-20, 10:45 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Update on L'Etape du Tour 2020 in Nice...

https://tracking.news.aso.fr/mrx/7Gm...779467174.html

Following President Emmanuel Macron’s announcement on Monday evening that large-scale public events are banned until mid-July as part of the confinement policy put in place to combat the spread of COVID-19, we regret to inform you that L'Étape du Tour de France will not be taking place on its orignal scheduled date, Sunday 5th July.

As the Tour de France is now taking place from the 29th August to the 20th September, we are working hard alongside the Ville de Nice to find a new possible date for L'Étape du Tour de France.

We will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, we hope that everything is going well for you and those close to you and that you are coping as best you can with this period of confinement that is so essential in the fight against the virus.

We can’t wait to see you and to start training together again.