Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheap Entry Level Road Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 11:56 PM
ABZALUTION

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone!
I need an advice from the community on which road bike to choose.
I am just starting my road bike journey and I have a choice between two cheap entry level road bikes:
1) Decathlon Triban RC120 (rim brakes, carbon fork)
2) Giant Contend 3 (same rim brakes, but has front/back shimano breaking system)
Giant is slightly more expensive, but not sure If it's only because of the brand name or the quality.
Please help bike forum community!
Old 06-24-20, 05:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ABZALUTION
Hello everyone!
I am just starting my road bike journey and I have a choice between two cheap entry level road bikes:
1) Decathlon Triban RC120 (rim brakes, carbon fork)
2) Giant Contend 3 (same rim brakes, but has front/back shimano breaking system)
Giant is slightly more expensive, but not sure If it's only because of the brand name or the quality.
Please help bike forum community!

Ideally, the answer is try them and see which fits better. But assuming that you can't and that the price is about the same, it looks like it really boils down to a choice between the Contend's Claris shifters and derailleurs and the Triban's Microshift 2x8 drivetrain. Anyone have any experience with Microshift derailleurs?

​​​​​​
Old 06-24-20, 11:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Posts moved from a different thread to its own thread so as not to get lost in the shuffle.
Old 06-24-20, 01:58 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I just made a purchase to move off my entry-level road bike, which was a contend 3, but I have the 2018 model. The 2020 doesn't look that much different. The contend 3 is a little lighter than the other one, if that matters to you.

I'd recommend the contend 3 to anyone who wants a cheap entry-level with the caveat that you're going to want to get better tires than what it comes with. Even my LBS mentioned that the tires were paper thin the first time I had to buy spare tubes for it and they did a tire inspection.

I don't know anything about the Triban, though.
Old 06-24-20, 05:30 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I'd think hard about the Triban with the carbon fork. Bike Radar had a very positive review on the bike.

It would be best though to ride both, especially to see what you think of the Giant with an aluminium fork.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 06-24-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 05:33 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ABZALUTION
Hello everyone!
I am just starting my road bike journey and I have a choice between two cheap entry level road bikes
What is your price range if I may ask? I have posted previously:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.

I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing."
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend?

IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals [up about $1500-2000, then the price interval spreads widen.
Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
Just last night, my 30-year-old son asked me about buying a bike though he is welcome to use one of mine, in particular since there seems to be a current shortage of availability.

I asked him those questions about use and price that I would ask any potential buyer. He was set on riding paved roads, though I did suggest gravel riding as well, and he rejected that.
I did wince to myself when he suggested his potential price range of $400.

It so happens that today I’m planing to go to my well-appointed bike shop, so I’ll check out the possiblilities.

PS: My son's bike will not be as it were, "entry level" for him.
…My now-28 year old son was only perfunctorily interested in cycling, and was learning to drive at age 14. When he went to Ann Arbor (U of Michigan) for college in 2007 we bought him a used Schwinn road bike and he used it much while there, and for getting around Boston after he graduated….

I once took him [Mike] on a 25-mile charity ride as an adolescent, and it rained. He admitted it was a nice ride, even though it "sucked."

As a post adolescent, our only long (~20 mile) ride together was about five years ago. It was congenial, and he rode faster than me, though I complained he didn’t give me a chance to warm up, and he complained his derailleur wasn’t working right.
Actually for a few years he rode my wife’s circa 1972 French Mercier road bike that we had used on a cross-country bicycle honeymoon.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-25-20 at 07:40 AM. Reason: aded PS
Old 06-25-20, 06:01 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ideally, the answer is try them and see which fits better. But assuming that you can't and that the price is about the same, it looks like it really boils down to a choice between the Contend's Claris shifters and derailleurs and the Triban's Microshift 2x8 drivetrain. Anyone have any experience with Microshift derailleurs?

​​​​​​
I have Microshift shifters and/or derailleurs on 4 different bikes. I think very highly of them.

OP, it's a toss up. Get the one that gives you the best feeling.
Old 06-25-20, 12:52 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I have Microshift groupsets (shifters, FD, and RD) on three bikes. I love them and have zero problems with them.
Old 06-28-20, 02:07 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
What is your price? Cheap to you may not be cheap to others....you need to define cheap....
Old 02-11-23, 11:41 AM
Doagner

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwinn Discover Hybrid bike is wel known for is value for money. Schwinn Discover is a commuting bike that performs well on neighborhood rides. It is equipped with a front suspension system for comfort and easy pedaling. Looking for a budget hybrid then check this and spent a good 5 or so days (in my freetime) shopping online and at my local bike shop. Bought the Schwinn Discover because it dropped in price while in my cart to around $240.

Last edited by Doagner; 02-16-23 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 11:58 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
If you can ride both go with the one that “feels better” and seems “easier” to ride. IMO the second consideration is color, do you like the paint job and think it looks neat? I doubt you will notice the difference in component quality, it’s very minor.

as for budget hybrids, they are also all the same, and you can get a decent one for 400-500 bucks
Old 02-11-23, 12:01 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
What are your projected distances, fitness goals and road conditions?
Old 02-11-23, 02:07 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
I’m guessing the OP probably already got a bike.
Likes For smd4: