Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Possible to replace battery on LM Urban?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 04:18 PM
Wiggles_dad

Bikes: '8x Casati Monza, Gunnar Sport, Surly Karate Monkey, Obed Boundary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've been considering getting a new commuter light and I'm looking at either the Light and Motion Urban 800 or the Cygolite Expilion 850. I like that the Cygolite has a replaceable battery because they have a limited lifespan. However, I like the specs and reviews of the more expensive Light and Motion. In 2-3 years do you think it would be possible to replace the Light and Motion battery if it dies or suffers from a short life span? Does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-14, 01:19 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Have you asked Light and Motion that question? They are known for great customer service, and would probably answer quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a battery replacement service with quick turn around.
Old 11-17-14, 11:31 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The batteries can be replaced on Urban headlights, but you have to send them back to Light & Motion. I have an Urban 500 that I've used for about 3 years, and the beam started "pulsing" this summer on all settings. I wrote to L&M about the problem, and they told me they would replace the battery and/or fix the problem for $45 plus shipping. They also offered to give me a 25% discount on any current models, so I opted to buy a new Urban 800, which cost me about $110 with the discount.

I'm keeping the old Urban 500 as a backup because it still works fine, despite the pulsing.

I really wish L&M had user-replaceable batteries like Lezyne and other brands. However, I still feel that Urban lights are superior to other models that I've compared for commuting purposes. They are very light weight, have decent run times, powerful enough for my needs, and are easy to mount as well as recharge.
Old 11-24-14, 10:46 AM
Wiggles_dad

Bikes: '8x Casati Monza, Gunnar Sport, Surly Karate Monkey, Obed Boundary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
The batteries can be replaced on Urban headlights, but you have to send them back to Light & Motion. I have an Urban 500 that I've used for about 3 years, and the beam started "pulsing" this summer on all settings. I wrote to L&M about the problem, and they told me they would replace the battery and/or fix the problem for $45 plus shipping. They also offered to give me a 25% discount on any current models, so I opted to buy a new Urban 800, which cost me about $110 with the discount.

I'm keeping the old Urban 500 as a backup because it still works fine, despite the pulsing.

I really wish L&M had user-replaceable batteries like Lezyne and other brands. However, I still feel that Urban lights are superior to other models that I've compared for commuting purposes. They are very light weight, have decent run times, powerful enough for my needs, and are easy to mount as well as recharge.
Thanks for this feedback. I just purchased a L&M Urban 800 because there was one online that was discounted 20% plus free shipping. The product seems to receive consistently good reviews and it is assembled in the USA. I agree that the product could be improved with a replaceable battery, but it is good to know that there are some options after the warranty has expired.
Old 11-24-14, 02:52 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're electronically inclined you can replace the battery on any light that's not heat sealed/melted together. Some require a soldering iron, some are simply slide in/slide out. Some probably have connectors that need to be transferred from one battery to the other. All are relatively simple processes.
Old 07-18-21, 10:16 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Sorry to necro this, but it's tidier than a new thread.
5.5 yrs of use on my Urban 350. Perfect for commute/MUP or as a helmet light.
Bat failed at 5.5 years
YT guides for the 18650 replacement on older ones, newer ones may have more glue
They soldered the BMS board contacts, which I would not recommend.
Battery+ will weld them for you or find a Endless-Sphere ebike nerd with a welder
Cheap replacement lights are ˜$50 and will do the job and at least a few more years bat about˜5$
L&M were offering 30% off but w postage and tax
Still, good lights and east to repair

Last edited by bikebikebike; 07-25-21 at 11:15 PM.