Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Going Multi-sport

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Going Multi-sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 05:24 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Going Multi-sport

Due to some recent health issues that may have been caused by cycling, or where cycling at least aggregated the problem, I’ve been branching out to other activities/sports. I’m hoping this avoids overuse and other issues that can crop up from doing too much of one thing. I’ve been cycling for 15+ years and will usually ride 4-5x a week...with very little of any other activities mixed in.

Im assuming some folks here have always dabbled in numerous activities, and I’m not just talking triathlon?

I started this in the last few months and my plan for 2020 is to do a little of a lot of things, on no set schedule. I have zero performance expectations as I don’t race or compete in any of these activities, I do them purely for enjoyment, camaraderie with friends, stress mgmt, etc.

So in a week, I may go for one long and one short ride, swim a couple times, go for some long walks or hikes, maybe a round of golf or practice at the driving range. I also backpack and will do a couple multi day backpacking trips. I also play some sports with my kid, and I stretch daily and get a massage once a month.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 12-31-19, 05:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I walk, hike, run, climb stairs, row, cycle and lift weights.
Likes For Machka:
Old 12-31-19, 06:28 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by Machka
I walk, hike, run, climb stairs, row, cycle and lift weights.
how much cycling would you do in the average week or month (# of days, # of hours)?
Old 12-31-19, 06:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
how much cycling would you do in the average week or month (# of days, # of hours)?
Since Rowan has had his accident, and is very, very, very slowly recovering, the amount of cycling we do is anyone's guess. It depends on how he feels, although sometimes I'll Zwift when he's too tired to ride.

Just checked Strava, and I see that I cycled 1,018.7 km this year ... the smallest amount I've cycled in the past 29 years.

Last edited by Machka; 12-31-19 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sounds good! for a cpl years I was doing great w/ a bunch of that. but then my personal & work situation changed drastically & threw a monkey wrench into everything. best of luck & here's hoping you stay injury free
Old 12-31-19, 11:25 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Due to some recent health issues that may have been caused by cycling, or where cycling at least aggregated the problem.
I am curious to know how cycling has contributed to making your health worse instead of better ??….What health issues were caused by cycling?
Old 12-31-19, 12:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I hike, backpack, climb, ski, swim, lift weights, and bike. Life is more interesting and fulfilling this way.
Old 01-01-20, 07:45 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I am curious to know how cycling has contributed to making your health worse instead of better ??….What health issues were caused by cycling?
prostate issue. Rest of me health wise is all good thanks to cycling
Old 01-01-20, 01:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
In order, I bike, hike, strength train, ski, run, and snowshoe. My weekly hours range from 4 to 20, with 6-10 being most common. 74 now, I used to put in more hours. In the past year, 58% bike, 25% hike, 10% strength, 3% XC ski, the rest misc.
Old 01-01-20, 07:04 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
In order, I bike, hike, strength train, ski, run, and snowshoe. My weekly hours range from 4 to 20, with 6-10 being most common. 74 now, I used to put in more hours. In the past year, 58% bike, 25% hike, 10% strength, 3% XC ski, the rest misc.
that’s great!
Old 01-31-20, 05:35 AM
Noonievut

So far it has been relatively easy to go from predominantly cycling to multiple activities. However, it’s the winter months! Cycling is limited primarily to Zwift (don’t have to work around weather conditions). Golf is an hour indoors. Hiking and skiing are my outdoor activities in the winter and they’re great. Swimming is short and sweet.

Though the way my slightly OCD mind works, I’m wondering how I will fit in all these activities when it warms up? Golf and cycling will compete for multi-hour stretches of nice weather. I have a couple cycling trips planned that are long multi-day rides (well at least one trip, that is 4 of 5 days riding, 80-100k per day). And I have a couple backpacking trips planned across spring and fall. I guess I just have to accept that I may not be entirely honed for any of these, but that dabbling in them should keep it interesting while somewhat avoiding injury and health issues from too much of one thing. And it’s not that I want to be great at any of these activities but rather I want to give them my limited time (would be different if I was retired!).

Last edited by Noonievut; 01-31-20 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Added a point
Old 01-31-20, 05:49 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
prostate issue. Rest of me health wise is all good thanks to cycling
it sounds like you could look at Triathlon. Swimming and running won’t effect your prostate assuming the issue is aggravated by seat time.

Even if you don’t wish to compete Triathlon isn’t like bicycle racing. Due to drafting being illegal on most of them it’s more of a solo sport. Sprint and Olympic tri are very laid back and casual. Two years ago I was a bit intimidated to try one but I did and I have been hooked ever since.
Old 01-31-20, 10:40 AM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I also don't ride as much as I used to. I lift weights and do HIIT intervals. Every so often I'll throw in a barre or pilates class.
Old 02-01-20, 12:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
And I have a couple backpacking trips planned across spring and fall. I guess I just have to accept that I may not be entirely honed for any of these, but that dabbling in them should keep it interesting while somewhat avoiding injury and health issues from too much of one thing. And it’s not that I want to be great at any of these activities but rather I want to give them my limited time (would be different if I was retired!).
There isn't much in the way of being "good at" backpacking. Unless you're scoring FKTs or photos for NatGeo, the only point is to have a good time. You've got this.