Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camping Stoves

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Camping Stoves

Old 04-20-20, 09:46 AM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Camping Stoves

Hello all!

Is this the best place on the forum to talk about camping stoves? I see there is a sticky at the top of the threads where tips and tricks are listed...should I use that instead?
Old 04-20-20, 01:43 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Use the 'Search' function and you'll find oodles of threads about stoves, so probably don't need to start a new one. Go to the top of the page, right side under the log-in are, and you'll see 'SEARCH' in white letters in the blue stripe, click on that and it'll give you a search bar and a few options.
Likes For skidder:
Old 04-20-20, 06:31 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by skidder
Use the 'Search' function and you'll find oodles of threads about stoves, so probably don't need to start a new one. Go to the top of the page, right side under the log-in are, and you'll see 'SEARCH' in white letters in the blue stripe, click on that and it'll give you a search bar and a few options.
skidder...Thanks...got it. This will save a lot of time.
Old 04-20-20, 07:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Maybe it's just me and I'm thick as a brick, but the search function has always been exceedingly frustrating fur me, don't bother to use it.
Likes For djb:
Old 04-21-20, 03:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Maybe it's just me and I'm thick as a brick, but the search function has always been exceedingly frustrating fur me, don't bother to use it.
I find it works best if you do an advanced search. You can, for example, search the word “stove” in thread titles in the Touring forum only.
Old 04-21-20, 04:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
The search function is useful and a time saver, but I wish folks would avoid searching for a topic and then reviving ancient threads. Doing your research is great, but if you have more questions and there isn't a somewhat recent thread to post in, I for one would suggest starting a new one. The search function all too often results in folks reviving threads that are years old. Personally, I'd like to see threads of a certain age locked or at least somehow flagged as old.
Old 04-21-20, 07:25 AM
djb

Originally Posted by staehpj1
The search function is useful and a time saver, but I wish folks would avoid searching for a topic and then reviving ancient threads. Doing your research is great, but if you have more questions and there isn't a somewhat recent thread to post in, I for one would suggest starting a new one. The search function all too often results in folks reviving threads that are years old. Personally, I'd like to see threads of a certain age locked or at least somehow flagged as old.
good idea on making a new one. Plus the bonus of a new topic is that given that most of us have more time on our hands now, bringing up stuff again helps us from being bored out of our gourds and keeps us entertained.
Likes For djb:
Old 04-21-20, 07:28 AM
djb

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I find it works best if you do an advanced search. You can, for example, search the word “stove” in thread titles in the Touring forum only.
yup, I guess I don;t take the time....
Old 04-21-20, 07:54 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
good idea on making a new one. Plus the bonus of a new topic is that given that most of us have more time on our hands now, bringing up stuff again helps us from being bored out of our gourds and keeps us entertained.
If there are a gazillion threads on a subject, then maybe don't start a new one, but if there hasn't been anything in the last, say five years, start a new topic. Times change, technology advances, stoves may be different than they were five years ago
Old 04-21-20, 08:12 AM
djb

so Chris, I've always found the Whisperlite to work perfectly fine. Yours is probably the "white fuel" only version, the stuff we buy at Canadian Tire in a metal container, but there is an "International" version that by changing a jet inside somewhere (a doohicky with a hole in it that the fuel passes through) you can burn gasoline and maybe diesel fuel etc, handy if you are traveling where gasoline is the only thing easily available. I have read that dirty gas etc can clog up the jet and the stove can burn wonkily until you clean it out with the little pokey thing that comes with the stove or the repair kit that used to be sold or maybe still is.

Ive only used white gas, and my stove has always worked perfectly fine.
re pressuring the container with the pump. Dont overdo it, you go by feel so cant describe it, but you get the drift. After you let some luiquid fuel into the bowl and do that preheat thing that will burn your tent down if you do it near your tent, right after the flames go out, it generally lights easily. Ive never had a problem other than putting too much fuel initially and having a good high flameout number, or not enough and the tubes dont heat up enough.
Its easy to figure out right amount trial and error.
Mine has always burned well, they put out a prettty good amount of heat and you can lower the flame down to a reasonable low amount for simmer, but you'll see that at some point, you may notice the burning blue flames out of the stove may start to lessen in intensity, or sputter, and this usually happens cuz you need to pump a bit more pressure back in the bottle.
Obviously be careful and hold stuff still properly when pumping if a pot is on , common sense prevails.

soot will form on the stove, generally from the initial lighting of the pooled fuel in that bowl, so Ive always kept the actual stove part and attached coiled line , in a plastic bag so not to get soot on inside of pot , where I store the stove and cleaning scrubby thing, little bottle of soap, matches lighter or whatever, pot handle and whatever crap I can stick in there.
Oh, and releasing pressure from bottle after use is important so that any fuel doesnt vent out when its in your pannier and give everything a fuel smell.

traveling with these stoves airplane wise is always going to be tricky. Ive never flown with one, cuz of anything with a fuel smell can get flagged and taken from you, so tricky and I never took the chance. Borrowed a simple screw in stove thing that attaches to those blue propane or whatever gas containers, buying a couple of these at some store in France or whatever when I get there. These are always common to find, so makes traveling in places like this easy.

white gas isnt that common in other countries, so a heads up.

whisperlite vs the Trangia I mentioned-- trangia is super basic, less hot, slower, not as easy to adjust flame, its basically a fondue burner stove if that means anythnig to you. They are silent and have no moving or clogging parts, so as long as you can get stuff to burn in them, they just work, but are more sooty when burning depending on the alcohol that you find.
I use it just to boil water mostly, and the occasional heating up of food, so got one just cuz it made for a smaller lighter cooking kit. I got a trangia mini stove kit at MEC to try it out, you'll see in the mec page what it looks like, and I use the whisperlite windscreen to go around the stand and stove, which is imiportant given the flame is a passive flame so not that strong and wind really reduces effectiveness.

have fun playing with whisperlite, dont burn the house down as David Byrne would say

Old 04-21-20, 08:14 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...mp-stoves.html
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-21-20, 08:18 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by skookum
If there are a gazillion threads on a subject, then maybe don't start a new one, but if there hasn't been anything in the last, say five years, start a new topic. Times change, technology advances, stoves may be different than they were five years ago
Really? Five years? I'd have said maybe a year and wouldn't fault anyone for starting a new one after doing a search and finding threads that were 6 months old or that were slightly different in focus and even newer. There really isn't any harm in rehashing stuff fairly frequently here. If we didn't it would be pretty dead here. New folks are coming and going all the time, new things come out, old things become unavailable, people's opinions change, and so on.
Old 04-21-20, 08:21 AM
djb

and obviously with any stove, you want to do a bunch of boil slash burn time tests to get an idea of how much luiquid fuel to take with you for X days of doing this or doing that.
Guesstimate by trial and error, you don't want to carry a stupid amount of fuel with you and only use half, or run out before trip is over if you need to heat up stuff more or whatever if the weather is cold or whatever.

I wouldnt overthing the stove thing too much, if the whisperlite works, use it.
certainly lots of other options out there though.
Old 04-21-20, 04:51 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by djb
and obviously with any stove, you want to do a bunch of boil slash burn time tests to get an idea of how much luiquid fuel to take with you for X days of doing this or doing that.
Guesstimate by trial and error, you don't want to carry a stupid amount of fuel with you and only use half, or run out before trip is over if you need to heat up stuff more or whatever if the weather is cold or whatever.

I wouldnt overthing the stove thing too much, if the whisperlite works, use it.
certainly lots of other options out there though.
djb...Thanks for the info first and foremost!

You're right as to the fuel type of my stove...it is white fuel. I had sourced out the cheapest shop to get a container and it turned out to be SAIL. They also have sales on everything once in a while so if you buy the fuel there you can save more than if you were to buy from Canadian TIre.

You bring up a good point about what stove to use when flying. I'm more of a drive the car type person and flying isn't in the cards for touring...at least for now. I want to explore close to home as I'm relatively new at being in Ontario. I lived in BC for two decades and cycled a fair amount there. Would like to see this province on a bicycle when possible now that I'm living here.
Old 04-21-20, 04:59 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
And when it comes to camping specific items such as camp stoves, don't ever hesitate to go to any number of hiking websites and peruse their forums. Often you can learn even more since they will almost always be making use of a stove, while I on my bike often make use of Joe's diner or Aunt Millie's cafe.
Old 04-21-20, 05:36 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
I know of 4 methods to warm/cook food:
Solar, biomass, body heat and fossil fuel.
I use a magnesium starter stick for 2 out of 4 of them.
Good luck hunting & fishing for stove information.
Hope you found what your looking for.
Old 04-21-20, 06:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Is there a question here, other than - is this the right place?
Old 04-21-20, 06:35 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Come on already, we all love a good thread, distraction much discussing the merits of various fuels, formats and so on. Here, I'll start:

Background, now a bike tourer, but used to work for Parks and Wildlife as a track builder and walking track ranger, spent a long time camping. Was the President of a Bushwalking Club for a bit (Bushwalking = Hiking) Live in Tasmania, can go walking for a month and not see anybody.

If I'm near civilisation, I use gas. I've got a little Kovea Spider, with a butane cartridge adapter from Ebay, so I can get $1 gas cartridges. They are pretty well everywhere worldwide. The stove is super light and cheap too.

If I'm away from civilisation I use white gas/coleman fuel. Less dead steel to carry compared to gas. I use a MSR Dragonfly, because I'm impatient, but I also like porridge(oatmeal) made from proper rolled oats. So I want something that has the heat of a thousand suns, but simmers like the warmth coming off a babies brow. I also use a Dragonfly because there were some in a box full of stoves from an ex Antarctic field gear auction. Nobody else knew the worth of the box so I picked up $3000 worth of stoves for $300. The only downside is when you are in a crowded hut, it sounds like a jet plane winding up, a little bit anti social.

I've had Whisperlites. But they don't simmer very well, so my porridge got burnt often. Quiet though, so you could easily hear me swearing over my burnt breakfast.

Trangia didn't work for me, see the impatient thing, plus alcohol has a low calorific value, When I was using one I had to carry twice as much alcohol as I do white gas. Quiet, so you could hear me constantly muttering "hurry the ________ up dinner"

The Optimus stoves from my gift box seemed heavy and a little over engineered. Carrying a spare pump plunger for the MSR is still way lighter than having a heavy but robust pump. Especially since there were enough MSR spare parts in the box to last a life time... never used the Optimus because I had too many Dragonflies.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-21-20, 06:37 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Happy Feet...This is gold. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-20, 07:56 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Did a little digging around and speaking of lower cost white gas check this out https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...line+white+gas
Old 04-21-20, 09:05 PM
djb

And this year's award for best line in a thread about camp stoves goes to......
TREVTASSIE for the unforgettable line, " So I want something that has the heat of a thousand suns, but simmers like the warmth coming off a babies brow"

Don't forget dude, we cut off your acceptance speech with music after 1 minute!

PS, the swearing comments got a chuckle out of me too
All funny stuff. And good true comments!
Cheers
Old 04-22-20, 04:02 AM
staehpj1

Since we seem to be talking stoves...

I like alcohol stoves for most of my tours and my stove of choice is a little pop can stove. The reasons are:
  • Ease of flying with the stove. Never had a problem with TSA check. Worst case I could make a new one if they kept it . If I was really worried I could always start with a new one, but seldom bother.
  • Ease of buying fuel in small quantities on the road, usually bottle Yellow Heet.
  • Light weight of stove (burner, windscreen and stand are 2 ounces)
  • Heat output id so so and simmering isn't great, but I manage okay
I have used isobutane stoves often in the past. They are nice too.
  • I am a little more careful about flying with them because they seem to get more residue and would be a bigger loss if confiscated.
  • I have had more trouble finding fuel on the road. In some areas I have actually had a lot of trouble finding canisters.
  • Weight is okay but a little more. If you need to carry fuel for longer trips the weight advantage can shift to the canister stove, but on tour the alcohol stove has the edge since buying alcohol frequently is easy. For backpacking where I might need to carry more fuel on some trips I might be more inclined to take this stove. I also might be more inclined to use it if cooking for more than one person.
  • Heat output is better and I find simmering pretty good
White gas or gasoline
  • Flying with these stoves is something I prefer not to bother with. I'd hate to get my stove confiscated.
  • White gas is a hard to find in small quantities on the road (quarts if you are lucky, gallons if not, and finding it at all is becoming less frequent). Gasoline on the other hand is super available.
  • Weight is probably the worst of the three, but not terrible
  • Heat output is the best and simmering is good.
All three are compromises as things always are. Since I almost always fly to my tours I wind up using my pop can alcohol stove most of the time. I like my canister stove and my multi-fuel stove with gasoline pretty well too and would use them more if I drove or took other surface transport to my tours.

Edit:
After reading Trevtassie's comments I figured I'd add that my comments are US centric. Also that I don't even consider kerosene since I find it kind of obnoxious in odor and not especially easily available in a size I find convenient. Often it is in gallons only (or larger). Even when there are quarts, I am not fond of carrying a quart of fuel. The 12 ounce size that Yellow Heet comes in is more to my liking. Much like food with I prefer not carrying much and restocking frequently. You can't and don't need to do it to the same extent as with food, but for me the principle is the same. Buying a gallon and leaving most of it behind is something I might do in Trevtassie's situation in another country, but I don't see myself doing that in the US. I'd rather buy 12 ounces of fuel every time I get low more often during a tour and never be carrying much at any given time.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-22-20 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 04:57 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
All depends on where you are going.
Alcohol is quite hard to get in some countries or expensive or both. Can provide a world of entertainment using google translate to explain what you want. Don't be surprised if you end up at a liquor store or a pharmacy sometimes.
Proper camping gas canisters are sometimes hard to find, and are usually expensive in terms of bang for your buck. The cheapo butane cartridges are also now very common, we found them through Europe. No airline I know of objects to gas stoves, only the canisters.
White gas is sometimes hard to find and sometimes expensive. If it's cheap it's usually in massive containers. Can use petrol/gasoline but the additives will eventually clog up your stove. Can sometimes be cheaper to buy a gallon of white gas, decant some and leave the rest behind
Kerosine/Paraffin is the cheapest and best heat output and available pretty well world wide. But needs priming to start and is smelly when it gets on things.
Diesel burns good once primed but is the Harry Houdini of the fuel world, it's like an amoeba, it can crawl out past the tightest seal and climb walls. Dirt loves it.
You can usually get pre-approval to travel with cleaned liquid fuel bottles, they'll give you a letter and some rules to follow, but don't be surprised if you have to explain the procedures to the check in agent.
Old 04-22-20, 01:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

White gas or gasoline
  • Flying with these stoves is something I prefer not to bother with. I'd hate to get my stove confiscated.
Yeah, I went thru the hassle of cleaning my stove and fuel tank before I went to Iceland. Brought a small butane stove as a backup in case of confiscation. And cleaning it before return home again.

If others are not familiar with the issues on that, more info here on that sort of thing.
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/flying-...camping-stove/

And I found in Iceland that there were free shelves at most campgrounds and hostels where people left stuff that they no longer needed. And enough people were flying out of the country that there were lots of half empty butane canisters there, so even though I bought a quart of coleman white gas, since I had the butane stove along, I use a lot of butane from the canisters that people left behind.
Old 04-22-20, 02:20 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yeah, I went thru the hassle of cleaning my stove and fuel tank before I went to Iceland. Brought a small butane stove as a backup in case of confiscation. And cleaning it before return home again.

If others are not familiar with the issues on that, more info here on that sort of thing.
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/flying-...camping-stove/

And I found in Iceland that there were free shelves at most campgrounds and hostels where people left stuff that they no longer needed. And enough people were flying out of the country that there were lots of half empty butane canisters there, so even though I bought a quart of coleman white gas, since I had the butane stove along, I use a lot of butane from the canisters that people left behind.
re cleaning. Ya, I super cleaned my fuel bottle and the Trangia with smelly soaps before travelling for the last three trips, to be sure there was absolutely no fuel smell on anything. May have been lucky as I never got the impression the bags were ever opened. This was in some panniers in a duffle bag for check in luggage. Trangia clearly easier to clean out smell wise than other luiquid fuel stoves with hoses and channels etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.