Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are there any booties/toe warmers that will work with non-cycling shoes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-24-20, 12:47 AM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Are there any booties/toe warmers that will work with non-cycling shoes? My girlfriend likes to get out on her MTB but it's getting too cold for her, she said she couldn't feel her feet after riding this morning at 6.30.
She just wears normal sneakers (today with Explorer socks!) and doesn't want cleated cycling shoes.Talking temps at or below 0 degree Celsius (32 degree Fahrenheit).
Old 06-24-20, 06:31 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with neoprene toe warmers that go on the outside of the shoe.
https://www.rei.com/product/803548/p...hoe-toe-covers

You can get ones that go inside the shoe as well
https://www.amazon.com/Meister-Therm.../dp/B00QW10XIA

You really just need something to block the wind. Duct tape works, bu not as well at the neoprene ones. I've read posts claiming wrapping your socks in aluminum foil works great as well

But since you are dealing with a girlfriend solutions will need to be elegant.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 06-24-20 at 08:54 AM.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-24-20, 06:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchoon
My girlfriend likes to get out on her MTB but it's getting too cold for her, she said she couldn't feel her feet after riding this morning at 6.30.

She just wears normal sneakers (today with Explorer socks!) and doesn't want cleated cycling shoes.Talking temps at or below 0 degree Celsius (32 degree Fahrenheit).
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I've had pretty good luck with neoprene toe warmers that go on the outside of the shoe.

You can get ones that go inside the shoe as well

You really just need something to block the wind. Duct tape works, bu not as well at the neoprene ones. I've read posts claiming wrapping your socks in aluminum foil works great as well
I have previously posted about using Totes shoe covers, with additional Gore-Tex wrap-around covers for added warmth
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This past Monday (12/30/13) I did my 14 mile commute at about 15°F and tried a new set of foot coverings that IMO that kept my feet significantly warmer than usual. In the past I had bought a pair of neon green shoe covers made by Gore-Tex, for wet riding.

During the winter, I use platform pedals with toeclips, and my usual footwear is thin and thick socks, running shoes and Totes rubber overshoes. I use plastic bags over my running shoes to put on the Totes more easily (see the sequence below).

So with the additional Gore-Tex shoe coverings at 15ºF, I did not perceive cold until about mile 10, and I did not feel cold in the sense of permeating the soft tissues of my foot until about mile 12, but it was tolerable.

At about mile 12 I have a downhill run of several hundred yards that irreversibly drains the heat from my extremities. The next day at 21ºF, I rode without the Goretex, and started feeling cold at about mile 9 and finished significantly colder at my mile 14 destination than the day before.
Consider also the use of plastic bags over the socks as an additional layer.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-24-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-24-20, 08:10 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I use the Neoprene covers over sneakers all the time. Just order the largest size. non-cycling shoes are usually bulkier.
Shoe Covers
Old 06-24-20, 08:30 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
For the occasional cold ride, I just use some chemical toe warmers, which go in the shoes, under the toes. They actually work better if you don't seal your feet with booties and plastic bags. BTW if the ride is short you can put the warmers in a baggie and the chemical reaction will pretty much stop; or at least they'll store for several days.

The big brand around here is Grabber.
Old 06-24-20, 08:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
NEOS are the contemporary galoshes https://www.overshoesneos.com/

I Wear Blundstones in the winter , up north, 6 months from now, here..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-24-20 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Australia noted..
Old 06-24-20, 11:04 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
For the occasional cold ride, I just use some chemical toe warmers, which go in the shoes, under the toes. They actually work better if you don't seal your feet with booties and plastic bags. BTW if the ride is short you can put the warmers in a baggie and the chemical reaction will pretty much stop; or at least they'll store for several days.

The big brand around here is Grabber.
I use these also. I usually buy a box each hunting season and use them for biking too.