Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you convince people you love to use daytime running lights?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How do you convince people you love to use daytime running lights?

Old 12-29-20, 12:03 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In California, a flashing forward facing light and flashing rear light are legal and the cops will never, ever stop you for using them.
I use them all the time and the forward facing one is probably more useful, simply because people don't look for cyclists, only cars. Cagers see it when turning from a side street- they can be looking directly at you, and never see you or even in their mirrors so they don't cut you off. IMO, a flashing forward light is a great safety tool.

Nowadays, people are used to looking at DRL's all the time.
Rear lights are ok but my feeling is that if they are looking at their phone, doesn't matter if you have a 10k spotlight, they aren't looking. At all. But, maybe they will see it in their periphery and wake up.
I use both front and rear flashing lights. I think it helps quite a bit.
Old 12-29-20, 12:39 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
What you just said is you don’t care about any but yourself.

It is plain difficult to focus on a flashing light and determine if that light is near or far. Confronted by a sea of flashing lights a motorist is going to judge badly which visual detail matters. Your ‘flash on’ makes us all unsafe. And you don’t care.

This thread is defining solipsism.
Wrong. I never said that i don't care about others and you have insufficient evidence to come to that conclusion based on m y comments. But when it comes to life and limb, my life and limb trump not annoying or inconveniencing drivers with my flashing lights. The worst that will happen to them is that they will need to concentrate really hard on what's happening up ahead of them and maybe (rarely) slow down or pull over. Sort of what drivers are supposed to do when they see an emergency vehicle, right? Not that my bike is an emergency vehicle, but just to point out that slowing down and pulling over while driving is not some bizarre unheard-of thing. And what's the worst that can happen to me on my bike? I'm killed by an inattentive driver.

I work in a trauma center in a big city. Ambulances bring us cyclist (and pedestrians) injured by cars all of the time. At least one or two a day. Do you know what the prevailing attitude is among cops who come in to investigate the injury (as they often are required to do)? That the cyclist is to blame because A) they were not wearing a helmet, or B) because they were not wearing hi-viz clothing or running a light. In fact, these attitudes prevail (I am embarrassed to admit) even among my own colleagues, doctors and nurses who actually care for these injured people. The playing field out there is massively tilted in favor of the car driver, even to the point that we generally blame the victim. And BTW, I have yet to see an injury to a car driver inflicted by a cyclist or pedestrian. Never seen one in over twenty years.

How's that solipsism for ya?
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 12-29-20, 02:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by lyf
It can feel wimpy to have lights on all the time, so what have you found works for convincing people you love to get that added bump in safety? This can elicit strong emotions so that's why I'm trying to figure out softer ways to have this conversation and hopefully we might save some lives!
As a cyclist, you can't be TOO seen! That's my advice.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 12-29-20, 08:01 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Don't worry yourself, he just wanted to use his word of the day

Originally Posted by Helldorado
Wrong. I never said that i don't care about others and you have insufficient evidence to come to that conclusion based on m y comments. But when it comes to life and limb, my life and limb trump not annoying or inconveniencing drivers with my flashing lights. The worst that will happen to them is that they will need to concentrate really hard on what's happening up ahead of them and maybe (rarely) slow down or pull over. Sort of what drivers are supposed to do when they see an emergency vehicle, right? Not that my bike is an emergency vehicle, but just to point out that slowing down and pulling over while driving is not some bizarre unheard-of thing. And what's the worst that can happen to me on my bike? I'm killed by an inattentive driver.

I work in a trauma center in a big city. Ambulances bring us cyclist (and pedestrians) injured by cars all of the time. At least one or two a day. Do you know what the prevailing attitude is among cops who come in to investigate the injury (as they often are required to do)? That the cyclist is to blame because A) they were not wearing a helmet, or B) because they were not wearing hi-viz clothing or running a light. In fact, these attitudes prevail (I am embarrassed to admit) even among my own colleagues, doctors and nurses who actually care for these injured people. The playing field out there is massively tilted in favor of the car driver, even to the point that we generally blame the victim. And BTW, I have yet to see an injury to a car driver inflicted by a cyclist or pedestrian. Never seen one in over twenty years.

How's that solipsism for ya?
Old 01-06-21, 10:18 PM
redmandarin

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
To me, it's like wearing a seatbelt. If they're and adult and don't want to do it, it's their life.
Old 01-11-21, 10:40 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
like everything else. provide incentives